Worst brushes ever, avoid like the plague

ggmerino

Reaction score
I bought from Steve Weiss Music what I thought were the perfect set of brushes, long rubber handle, medium wires, with a mallet ball on the end: the Innovative Percussion JR Robinson Brush BRJR1. What a total piece of cr*p. One is a full 1/2 inch longer than the other one, the wires stick out of the shorter one when fully closed about 1/2" and about 1/4" on the longer one, the wires on the longer one will not open fully, the seam where the two pieces join is loose on one, the push rods have nicks on the end so they cannot be pushed all the way in so the rod sticks out about 1" on the end, and the mallet ball on one stick is much bigger than on the other. I don't know what else they could have screwed up, and they cost $33!

Now I am debating whether I should eat the shipping fees and return them or spend an hour with some tools and super-glue to try and make then usable. I don't know whom I am more upset with, Steve Weiss for not even glancing at what they ship out the door or Innovative Percussion for unbelievably poor quality control. I do know I will avoid both, like the plague.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Regal Tip Brushes for me.
I've tried the rest. Don't like them.. Everyone else THINKS they can improve on perfection.

gmiller598

Reaction score
Just for reference, I’m an Innovative Percussion user and an education artist mainly because I love their marching products but I have no doubts the company will make things right for you if Steve Weiss can’t correct the issue for you for some reason. They have very good people working there.

I’ve been using their products for close to 15 years now and have never had an issue like what you’ve experienced. I’m waiting for a delivery myself on a pair of Chad Wackerman brushes.

nolibos

Reaction score
I have the same Regal Tip brushes I got in college (1994); they still work fine.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just for reference, I’m an Innovative Percussion user and an education artist mainly because I love their marching products but I have no doubts the company will make things right for you if Steve Weiss can’t correct the issue for you for some reason. They have very good people working there.

I’ve been using their products for close to 15 years now and have never had an issue like what you’ve experienced. I’m waiting for a delivery myself on a pair of Chad Wackerman brushes.
And you should not be saddled with the expense of sending them back, either. I'll bet that they will FedEx a perfect set to you as soon as you send them pics. They should. This is very bad publicity that needs to be fixed yesterday.

GeeDeeEmm

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Not sure if they're still made, but Pro-Mark B600 "Nylo-Brush", or whatever they were called.
At one time, I was looking for a nylon brush, just to try it out and I came across these things.
Ugh.
No way to adjust how far the "wires" extend and they flop around, even when in use.
Eventually, the casing cracks and then they're not only garbage, they're IN the garbage.....can, that is.
….at least they didn't cost too much (another lesson in getting what you pay for).
If you ever run across a pair....run....far away.....like the wind...…

...:wacko::mad:

Last edited:

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Having dealt with both companies, I'm sure Steve Weiss would refund your money and tell you to keep the brushes - even though they are not the manufacturer and to expect them to pull every pair of brushes out of the manufacters packaging and inspect them is not realistic - and IP would send you a replacement pair at no charge and either tell you to keep the defective pair, or ask you to send them back at their expense.
I usually start off my responses to these threads by asking "What did the dealer or manufacturer say when you contacted them", and 9 times out of 10 the response is "well, I haven't talked to them yet." I guess people have gotten to the point where they expect every product to be perfect, and every purchase off a screen to be perfect as well, and if it's not, the first thing you do is complain to the screen. News flash - no one makes or sells 100% perfect products. Give them a chance to make it right, and I'm sure they will. Please let us know how this turns out.

ggmerino

Reaction score
I will certainly post any resolution to the matter here. We’re talking basic quality control. With lousy return policies requiring a waste of $15 in shipping costs, one’s recourse is often just word of mouth via reviews and forums. $33 means little to me, it means a lot to many struggling musicians and young players. My time, on the other hand (3 small kids, more than full time job) is very valuable to me. These forums are the best way to find quality products and honest sellers.

ggmerino

Reaction score
BTW- I’ve owned many brushes in my life, pro-Mark, regal-tip, Ludwig and Vic-Firth, none had any issues and all have lasted many years until they broke down. What I thought was interesting was how many things were wrong with this pair. I admit I was upset when I wrote the post, but nothing is worse than being excited about opening a package of drum gear and being sorely disappointed.

gmiller598

Reaction score
I will certainly post any resolution to the matter here. We’re talking basic quality control. With lousy return policies requiring a waste of $15 in shipping costs, one’s recourse is often just word of mouth via reviews and forums. $33 means little to me, it means a lot to many struggling musicians and young players. My time, on the other hand (3 small kids, more than full time job) is very valuable to me. These forums are the best way to find quality products and honest sellers.
I don’t work in the manufacturing industry but I’m not sure that I know of any product that goes through a 100% QG check for every item that goes out the door. Certainly the response of both companies is essentially 1/2 the story that is the unknown right now. One’s recourse isn’t “just” word of mouth until other correct and available avenues of resolution have been exhausted.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a difference between returning a product you tried and didn't like and returning a product that's defective. The brushes you received qualify as defective and an honest seller, which Steve Weiss certainly is, should replace them at no charge to you. Everyone is busy, and it takes as much time to time to contact the seller as it does to post here. Life isn't perfect and neither are drum products. If you're more interested in complaining on a drum forum than you are in resolving the situation, have $33 worth of fun with it. I'll continue to buy Innovative Percussion products from Steve Weiss with no worries.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BTW- I’ve owned many brushes in my life, pro-Mark, regal-tip, Ludwig and Vic-Firth, none had any issues and all have lasted many years until they broke down. What I thought was interesting was how many things were wrong with this pair. I admit I was upset when I wrote the post, but nothing is worse than being excited about opening a package of drum gear and being sorely disappointed.
I'd probably put down a $50 betting that an email or call to either Steve Weiss or Innovative Percussion would've resolved this in, like, 45 seconds at no cost to you.

I will say thank you, though-- I had never seen these brushes before and now I'm probably going to order a set. Very cool design.

ggmerino

Reaction score
Wow! So much for trying to warn fellow drummers of a potentially faulty product. Didn’t expect a bunch of aggressiveness.
I (the customer) have to waste hours of my time ordering and resolving this and these companies couldn’t spend a mere 2 seconds looking at what they are selling? That is indefensible- and any arguments to the contrary are indicative of what has become endemic in our society- that it is ok to sell garbage and rip off consumers. Go ahead and waste your time and money, don’t waste mine with your weak attempts at defending gross incompetence.:mad:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not sure if they're still made, but Pro-Mark B600 "Nylo-Brush", or whatever they were called.
At one time, I was looking for a nylon brush, just to try it out and I came across these things.
Ugh.
No way to adjust how far the "wires" extend and they flop around, even when in use.
Eventually, the casing cracks and then they're not only garbage, they're IN the garbage.....can, that is.
….at least they didn't cost too much (another lesson in getting what you pay for).
If you ever run across a pair....run....far away.....like the wind...…

...:wacko::mad:
- I had the same issues with those. Don't use them anymore.

Latest posts