Worst brushes ever, avoid like the plague

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow! So much for trying to warn fellow drummers of a potentially faulty product. Didn’t expect a bunch of aggressiveness.
I (the customer) have to waste hours of my time ordering and resolving this and these companies couldn’t spend a mere 2 seconds looking at what they are selling? That is indefensible- and any arguments to the contrary are indicative of what has become endemic in our society- that it is ok to sell garbage and rip off consumers. Go ahead and waste your time and money, don’t waste mine with your weak attempts at defending gross incompetence.:mad:
- I hear you, but if I wanted to fix a problem, the first place I'd hit would the the vendor, then, if necessary, the manufacturer. They might well be proactive in resolving your concern. If neither worked, I'd go public - and I'd have additional evidence of non support to relate.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow! So much for trying to warn fellow drummers of a potentially faulty product. Didn’t expect a bunch of aggressiveness.
I (the customer) have to waste hours of my time ordering and resolving this and these companies couldn’t spend a mere 2 seconds looking at what they are selling? That is indefensible- and any arguments to the contrary are indicative of what has become endemic in our society- that it is ok to sell garbage and rip off consumers. Go ahead and waste your time and money, don’t waste mine with your weak attempts at defending gross incompetence.:mad:
You don't have "hours" to waste trying to resolve this, yet you have time to post here repeatedly. Hmm. . .
You might have intended that your post warn fellow drummers, but because of the way you've gone about this, it just comes off like complaining that everything wasn't perfect. All of us can understand your frustration, but, as you can see, most of us realize that these things happen, and the way you deal with them says a lot about you as well.
On the other hand, you've probably never been on the other end of a situation like this. Congratulations on being 100% perfect in all aspects of your own life.

chicagojzz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Innovative Percussion and Steve Weiss are both long-standing members of the percussion business community with names and reputations that have been built over a period of years. Neither would likely ignore or stiff you with your concerns, so wanting to cry foul before talking to them first comes across as an immature reaction. YMMV, obviously

Rick

Reaction score
I have a pair of these JR Robinson brushes. The pair I have doesn't have any of the issues described here. My only complaint is they're too heavy and I find them fatiguing to play with up tempo on a long song. The only reason I bought these particular brushes is because I couldn't find any of the Chad Wackerman Paintbrushes (same basic design as JR Robinson but shorter and lighter and with a wood shaft).

I had the opportunity to sit in a clinic with Chad back in August. He mentioned/demo'd those brushes and let me try them out for a second after the clinic. I thought they felt great in my hands and I think the "all-in-one" concept will be really useful for certain songs I play at my gigs. I've been trying to find a pair ever since. Everybody is out of stock.

I even called Innovative Percussion to ask them what's up. They were super nice and helpful. I was impressed. They told me they are having trouble getting the particular wire they use for those brushes but that they plan to have them back in production soon. That was back in late November. I do have an order in for them with Percussion Source and have been in communication with them. The latest they've heard is that IP expects to be shipping them out by the end of this month. Looking forward to getting them, whenever that is!

On another note, in terms of terrible brushes to avoid. I had a really bad experience with the Vic Firth Legacy brushes. I ordered a pair a couple of years ago. The whole wire assembly pulled out of the housing the very first time I went to retract the brushes. (No, I wasn't pulling too hard.) So I returned them. Figured it was just a one-off defective pair. The replacement pair did exactly the same thing. And it happened during a gig. So when I dropped the brushes onto the stage floor to pick up a different pair of brushes, the wire assembly rolled to the back of the stage and down the crack between the stage and the wall, never to be seen again. No way to return that now, so I just ate the cost. Anyway, I love Vic Firth. I use their sticks and bass drum beaters and have always been super happy with their quality. But this particular model of brushes apparently has issues. Avoid.

gmiller598

Reaction score
I have a pair of these JR Robinson brushes. The pair I have doesn't have any of the issues described here. My only complaint is they're too heavy and I find them fatiguing to play with up tempo on a long song. The only reason I bought these particular brushes is because I couldn't find any of the Chad Wackerman Paintbrushes (same basic design as JR Robinson but shorter and lighter and with a wood shaft).

I had the opportunity to sit in a clinic with Chad back in August. He mentioned/demo'd those brushes and let me try them out for a second after the clinic. I thought they felt great in my hands and I think the "all-in-one" concept will be really useful for certain songs I play at my gigs. I've been trying to find a pair ever since. Everybody is out of stock.

I even called Innovative Percussion to ask them what's up. They were super nice and helpful. I was impressed. They told me they are having trouble getting the particular wire they use for those brushes but that they plan to have them back in production soon. That was back in late November. I do have an order in for them with Percussion Source and have been in communication with them. The latest they've heard is that IP expects to be shipping them out by the end of this month. Looking forward to getting them, whenever that is!

On another note, in terms of terrible brushes to avoid. I had a really bad experience with the Vic Firth Legacy brushes. I ordered a pair a couple of years ago. The whole wire assembly pulled out of the housing the very first time I went to retract the brushes. (No, I wasn't pulling too hard.) So I returned them. Figured it was just a one-off defective pair. The replacement pair did exactly the same thing. And it happened during a gig. So when I dropped the brushes onto the stage floor to pick up a different pair of brushes, the wire assembly rolled to the back of the stage and down the crack between the stage and the wall, never to be seen again. No way to return that now, so I just ate the cost. Anyway, I love Vic Firth. I use their sticks and bass drum beaters and have always been super happy with their quality. But this particular model of brushes apparently has issues. Avoid.
That is good info to hear. I called them last Monday to place an order from them for the Chad Wackerman brushes and a couple of other things. The person I spoke with didn't mention they were backordered. My order hasn't shipped yet but if I happen to talk to the artist rep there after they get back from NAMM I'll update the timeline. I've owned a pair of standard WBR-1 brushes from IP for several year and I've had no problems with them.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Simply buy in person next time. Its a company, a store that sold them, and simple mistake. ...like when ordered pizza comes with wrong toppings.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh heck just ignore these guys , they are rather curmudgeonly. “ sarcasm “

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I'm also an IP artist. Having said that, I have no doubt that if you contact the company, they'll make things right. I totally understand that's it's annoying and frustrating, but it's not like either of these companies are trying to scam you. Even with companies with the tightest quality control, mistakes happen, and saying that you're going to boycott them because of one experience seems a bit excessive to me. (Could understand more if you waited months and spend many hundreds of dollars on a custom snare or something...) Even Yamaha, a company generally renowned for their high QC standard, screws things up occasionally. To me, though, the mark of the quality of the company is how they deal with the mistake.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
My Regal Tip brushes were purchased in the early 1980s and still in great shape.
Which ones do you have?
I used to have the 550W's. Fixed with the wood handle.
Those were a great pair of brushes.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For some reason, I first read this subject line as: Worst brushes ever, avoids the plaque.
I was thinking that yeah, the worst toothbrush might avoid the plaque! But then again, would DF be a place to post about toothbrush quality? (Probably.)

Now that I've posted my mis-reading, I'll say that I've been using the same ol' plastic brushes for maybe a dozen years now. A big-ish shaft size for the light jazz stuff I need them for (would prefer it to be more 7A-like), but you know, they work out for me:

ggmerino

Reaction score
That's a pretty funny (and sad) story. I was thinking of ordering the Legacy brushes, but the reviews I found online also complained about the quality and the wires seemed a little on the light side.

ggmerino

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I'm also an IP artist. Having said that, I have no doubt that if you contact the company, they'll make things right. I totally understand that's it's annoying and frustrating, but it's not like either of these companies are trying to scam you. Even with companies with the tightest quality control, mistakes happen, and saying that you're going to boycott them because of one experience seems a bit excessive to me. (Could understand more if you waited months and spend many hundreds of dollars on a custom snare or something...) Even Yamaha, a company generally renowned for their high QC standard, screws things up occasionally. To me, though, the mark of the quality of the company is how they deal with the mistake.
I will keep an open mind. IP did reply to my email and asked for pics, which I sent them. Waiting for further instructions. Also sent pics to Steve Weiss, but haven't heard back.

Rick

Reaction score
That's a pretty funny (and sad) story. I was thinking of ordering the Legacy brushes, but the reviews I found online also complained about the quality and the wires seemed a little on the light side.
I thought the wires were a perfect weight and I really liked the feel of those brushes in my hand. But the wire assembly pulling out was a show stopper for me. If you read the reviews on those brushes, you’ll see a lot of this same complaint. I saw those reviews before I bought them and thought, “no, not Vic Firth... must have just been a bad batch.” And I suppose that could be the case. But after the experience I had, I wrote them off. Really looking forward to my Chad Wackerman “Paintbrushes” when/if they ever get here!

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get satisfaction from either the online retailer or the manufacturer. Look at it this way. How many different drum products have you purchased in your lifetime? And how many of them were defective? If this is one of the few items you've bought that was defective, you're very lucky. But more importantly, the more stuff you buy, the greater the likelihood that SOMETHING will end up like these brushes. Stuff happens. Your first thing to do was contact Steve Weiss by email. Normal return policies don't apply to defective products. I would be surprised if you don't get resolution after two emails. That's not hours. And if for some reason Steve Weiss doesn't do you right, then email the manufacturer. Just remember, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I don't think anyone's bashing you. Just giving suggestions that have worked for them in the past. I've ended up buying stuff that was damaged or defective and I am usually able to get resolution with no more than two emails. Good luck. Keep us informed on the outcome.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel my legacy brushes generally heavier gauge (wire and tube) and sturdier than my Zildjian fixed brush. The rubber surface cracked after years of (not really) use, but still in good working order. Made me think about a pair of wood shafted brushes though.

J

jaymandude

I will keep an open mind. IP did reply to my email and asked for pics, which I sent them. Waiting for further instructions. Also sent pics to Steve Weiss, but haven't heard back.
keeping an open mind about the brushes is more than you did when it came to the forum.

All the responses after your pissy rant have been much nicer than anything I’d say.

MrYikes

Reaction score
Thank you GG, for allowing us to know about product quality. Idiot shills will try to keep information quiet. Transparency is always a good thing. I am keeping track of how you are treated by the companies involved.

gmiller598

Reaction score
Thank you GG, for allowing us to know about product quality. Idiot shills will try to keep information quiet. Transparency is always a good thing. I am keeping track of how you are treated by the companies involved.
so is following a proper process and allowing both sides of a story to be told to allow people to determine an informed opinion. Too much of society wants to jump to conclusions when they only hear one side of the story and it doesn’t seem fair to trash a company and/or product without even giving a chance to let the issue come to resolution.

If wanting to be informed and hear both sides makes me an ”idiot shill” so be it. As a person, I may not be a perfect individual but I will take issue if someone has a complaint about me and they don’t come to me first and give me an opportunity to address it before they trash me.

MrYikes

Reaction score
You are taking this personally. I am pointing more at the terrible product from innovative percussion. Companies that put out a badly made product such as this from innovative percussion deserve the bad reputations they create for themselves. People that try to silence details have their own agendas. Bad products equals bad reputations. innovative percussion put out a bad product and the buyer still has not received his money back. That is the point. Who has the money.