Worst decision you ever made related to drumming.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not religiously practicing when I had the time to do so.

Two big gaps of walking away completely, a total of nearly 20 years.

On the other hand, because of those gaps where I didn’t play, when I play now I have much more drive and desire. I genuinely savor playing since I realize what I lost.

That and not wearing enough ear protection.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
...not wearing enough ear protection...
As I sit in my quiet studio listening to the festival of tinnitus tones that constantly plays inside my head I must concur. I didn't begin consistently using high-quality ear protection (–20dB broadband reduction) until around 30 years ago, which was not nearly early enough — by then I had already been playing (and damaging my hearing) for over 25 years.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
As I sit in my quiet studio listening to the festival of tinnitus tones that constantly plays inside my head I must concur. I didn't begin consistently using high-quality ear protection (–20dB broadband reduction) until around 30 years ago, which was not nearly early enough — by then I had already been playing (and damaging my hearing) for over 25 years.
Oh yeah, I didn't even think of that. Disregard my previous one. My tinnitus is horrible. I regret that most.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Wasting years on traditional grip. Yes, it is a tool I have at my disposal now but one I don´t have any use for.

I too quit for a good 20 years but learned and gigged other instruments (trumpet, bass) during that time so that actually helped me advance as a musician.

Oh, and I really should have bought a container of 22" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Rides back in the day - could make a fortune selling them now. :) Couldn´t even afford one at the time...

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Not pursuing more music and drumming academically; music theory, sight reading.
I never took band class in high school either, big regret.

Rhythm Block

Reaction score
I'm fortunate in that I've only been playing for about five years, and only began after graduating with an orchestral saxophone degree. So I had a pretty good sense of practice etiquette and how I wanted to sound right off the bat. However, my resources were pretty scant for awhile, so I was borrowing drums and cymbals for a solid chunk of that first year, most often this goofy bop kit a friend had frankensteined out of some terrible MIJ shells for basement use where the band I joined was practicing. It's honestly all a blur now but between the ramshackle gear, my lack of experience, and the band's unreliable constituency, I'm beginning to suspect a lot of repressed memories of my early drumming career are buried somewhere not too far back in my head. I hope I'll be able to forgive myself when they resurface.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a few:

1. I should have stood my ground playing new wave and punk as a kid. In my particular school there were nothing but metal heads. I wasted 3.5 years of my youth playing a genre that wasn’t me.

2. I established myself in too many cities, 4 to be exact. Though I had a lot of great experiences and met a lot of great people, for strictly music I should have not moved so much. I was always starting from scratch. Until I moved to Brooklyn in my late 20’s, I always jumped at the first gig really based on making friends than the music itself.

3. I thought I was getting blown off for a pretty good size touring band still at it today. I stopped learning their material and when they finally called I wasn’t prepared. Looking back though, it probably wouldn’t have worked out anyway. They have a rotating group of drummers and I think it’s because their first drummer and friend died. No one was ever good enough to replace him and I don’t mean just playing.

4. Not wearing ear protection as a kid. My ears are so messed up. I

5. Choosing the wrong major instead of one worth any in college like a recording engineer. Deep down, I don’t think could never be an engineer if I wanted to because of my ears.

Last edited:

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was in college there was a pivotal moment when the drummer for a band we had opened up for a couple of times called me and asked me if I would consider being their drummer. He had an issue with his hand and was having to get out of gigging, and I was their first choice. They were playing all over regionally, making good money, and gaining popularity at the time. It would mean putting college on a back burner for an indefinite time.

I thought about it for a day, and ended up turning it down because I wanted to get my degree. That was my chance to immediately start my pro drumming life, and I wouldn't have turned back if I had taken the offer.

That pivotal decision meant that I would never be a pro drummer. I'm okay with that because I've ended up with a good family and life in general, still enjoying drums. BUT - I've always wondered since then how far I would have gone if I had taken the plunge that day.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This can be anything but for me it was after one band had broken up playing in and around Boston. Got together with a few people to try and do a wedding band thing. Two weeks into it I threw my sticks down and said I’m done. First time I ever quit a band. Went from playing mostly originals to standard wedding songs. I just couldn’t take it I’m glad I stopped it after only a couple months.
That's a huge transformation to take all at once. I did the move over more than 25 years and truth be told; Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, Parties, Divorcee Dance Club Work, Political Events... all sucks in comparison to doing originals.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest mistake I made, was in the 70's/80's thinking that alcohol & drugs needed to be a part of playing in a band and being a musician. That went on for 11 years with alot of different bands. I used to pummel myself into some very bad condition after shows and at parties. And even when in 1982, I started to realize I needed to stop, I could not completely break it til the day after I was on a bender for 2 days and woke up in my car at the airport 3 hours after my flight took off. That was in 1985 and that day was thankfully the day I saw the light to walk away from drugs. I was lucky. My lead singer went in and out of A.A. meetings for another 15 years after my break and eventually it took some serious rehab commitment to get him sober. Today we are both fortunate to be alive & sober and still into music. We do wonder though, why we were so dang stupid all those years ago. Youth, sometimes is wasted on the young!

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest mistake I made, was in the 70's/80's thinking that alcohol & drugs needed to be a part of playing in a band and being a musician. That went on for 11 years with alot of different bands. I used to pummel myself into some very bad condition after shows and at parties. And even when in 1982, I started to realize I needed to stop, I could not completely break it til the day after I was on a bender for 2 days and woke up in my car at the airport 3 hours after my flight took off. That was in 1985 and that day was thankfully the day I saw the light to walk away from drugs. I was lucky. My lead singer went in and out of A.A. meetings for another 15 years after my break and eventually it took some serious rehab commitment to get him sober. Today we are both fortunate to be alive & sober and still into music. We do wonder though, why we were so dang stupid all those years ago. Youth, sometimes is wasted on the young!
As a son of an alcoholic, you’ve done a great thing not just for yourself, but everyone who cares about you.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting with 30+ years of delay, I guess?
Pretty much. I grew up in an apartment and my parents wouldn’t allow me to have drums, but they knew I had an interest in music, so they bought me a guitar, which led to a lifetime of mediocrity on the instrument... :icon_lol:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. I grew up in an apartment and my parents wouldn’t allow me to have drums, but they knew I had an interest in music, so they bought me a guitar, which led to a lifetime of mediocrity on the instrument... :icon_lol:
Oh no Jimmy Sticks, now every psychologist will be calling you to discuss how 'your parents are the cause for everything crazy or wrong in your life!' But don't worry about me, I'm just an English Major. ;)

Tdipaul

Reaction score
1. Not wearing any ear protection early on - paying the price for that now
2. Having four quick beers at the beginning of a recording session. I was nervous and thought that would take the edge off but all it did was hurt my time
3. Selling every piece of drum equipment off (because of concerns about #1) and then realizing life is too short

Live and learn

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
There are a few:

3. I thought I was getting blown off for a pretty good size touring band still at it today. I stopped learning their material and when they finally called I wasn’t prepared. Looking back though, it probably wouldn’t have worked out anyway. They have a rotating group of drummers and I think it’s because their first drummer and friend died. No one was ever good enough to replace him and I don’t mean just playing.
Ra Ra Riot?

Worst decision: Not having enough confidence for leading a band and let it fall to pieces even tough it was the best band I ever had!