Worst decision you ever made related to drumming.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incredible thread.
Such honesty and just openness.
Very cool to see.
Me?
Not at all interesting ... ear damage. Should have protected them better.

IVER

Reaction score
Quit for many years. That was my worst mistake related to drumming. But it wasn't a mistake in regards to the rest of my life.
How many years did you take off? I quit drums for 20 years to focus on my journalism career and raise my two kids. I'd been playing pro since my late teens, and found I was playing in too many bad country-rock bands to make a living. I had lost the joy of playing music; it had become a grind. When I went back to playing, concentrating on music I wanted to play, the joy returned, and has been with me ever since.

kevmill70

Reaction score
Everybody has the stories about selling gear they wish they had now. Mine is more personal...down to the roots. My mistake...I never went for the brass ring. Been playing 56 years now, played 21 years 6 nights a week.I became a pretty big fish in the small pond of Baltimore, at one time. I for comfortable in the security. Played everywhere in the Baltimore Washington corridor. Toured the US with show bands for a long time...but I never went for the brass ring...never went to LA or N.Y. or Nashville or anything...stayed in my “I’m making a comfortable living” zone. I wish I had at least tried. I have a great work ethic, I teach now, I still gig, but I never went for the gold and settled for the silver...
LA, NY and Nasvhille would have made you a very small fish in a very big pond and you may not have been able to have any regular gigs that weren't "tips only" or going nowhere. I other words, the grass is always greener, and being happy with playing often and being appreciated for your talent is worth it's weight in "gold" (see what I did there?)

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many years did you take off? I quit drums for 20 years to focus on my journalism career and raise my two kids. I'd been playing pro since my late teens, and found I was playing in too many bad country-rock bands to make a living. I had lost the joy of playing music; it had become a grind. When I went back to playing, concentrating on music I wanted to play, the joy returned, and has been with me ever since.
It was about 20 for me as well. It's a really common number around here. A lot of life happens between 20 and 40. Then you enter your 40s, finally able to take a breath, and all of a sudden you remember how much you loved playing.

CLIVEB

Reaction score
Was looking for a nice vintage kit for a guitarist in my part time band, long story. Found an early 60's Ludwig kit, white Pearl. Had a quick look at it in the seller's basement. It was one of those things where you want this set and your brain does not kick in. Got home and had a better look and realized it was no better than a ok condition player's kit. Concerned I brought it into a brightly lit room and saw that the hardware was pitted. Could not in any good conscience sell it to my friend, so I now have a third kit - sounds just fine, and from a few feet away looks ok, but couldn't sell it for a fraction of what I paid. Only consolation is that it wasn't a big ticket item like a car.

Reaction score
LA, NY and Nasvhille would have made you a very small fish in a very big pond and you may not have been able to have any regular gigs that weren't "tips only" or going nowhere. I other words, the grass is always greener, and being happy with playing often and being appreciated for your talent is worth it's weight in "gold" (see what I did there?)
Oh I here ya. I had a great career and a ton of fun. So I am thankful for that. But people even used to say to me, "Man you shouldn't be around here...you are hitttin em like a real pro! I even had a friend who was a bit famous (played with Neil Young, Ricky Nelson, Burrito Brothers) who used to say to me even now "Man you haven't lost a thing...chop is strong and playing is tight" Unfortunately my image has bloated a bit so I don't fit in with the young set any more...lol No I don't regret how I made it where I was. But I still feel I could have at least recorded more and tried to be more prominent...to be young again now-a-days would be awful I think...

huitli

Reaction score
Selling my '69 Camco kit circa 1975 because I was in graduate school and didn't have time to play. And then selling my mid-'70s Rogers kit and Slingerland Timbales in the mid-1980s when I was going through a divorce. Haven't sold any drums since...