Worst drumsticks ever?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah I think it was marching band where I discovered them and thought they were cool. I did eventually settle down to Promark 5B's until later realizing there were a lot of options out there to be tried.

Sometimes it's not the worst stick, but the worst stick for the particular purpose at hand. Best stick for another purpose.
Yup, same here. I settled on Promark 747's for drum set.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Vic Firth AJ4: While excellent for fancy snare drummery, it tends to make all cymbals sound sour.
Ooh, disagree. AJ4's are great sticks for jazz. Lets you lay in to the cymbals a bit more without the wash getting out of control.

As for terrible sticks, anything made of oak and those Ahead aluminum sticks.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zildjian, to me, are lousy sticks. I said never again after I bought a pair a blue 5a's and they broke in 5 minutes. I have not broken a drumstick in 5 or more years. The wood was just crap. Stick to cymbals. That is all.

markkarj

Reaction score
Zildjian, to me, are lousy sticks. I said never again after I bought a pair a blue 5a's and they broke in 5 minutes. I have not broken a drumstick in 5 or more years. The wood was just crap. Stick to cymbals. That is all.
I used Zildjian sticks in the early 90s, and just didn't find them all that durable. I used Vater as that's what my local shop had in abundance, and have since switched mostly to ProMark 7A and 5A oak sticks. The oak sticks work nicely for me... just a good balance of a slightly heavier stick for the size.

I'd say the worst sticks for feel were these horrible fiberglass sticks I had as a teenager. Durable yes, but I'm sure they would eventually lead to carpal tunnel syndrome.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
JOJO
I think they were RegalTip seconds. Best suited to the produce department as most resembled bananas.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Promark MJZ-11.

These were my absolute favorite sticks but are no longer available.

Nothing else feels good in comparison to me so now the MJZ-11's are my absolute "worst" sticks cause it's all I want when I play but can't have :(

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zildjian sticks are now made by vic firth.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig sticks in the 70’s gave me fits. ProMark always needed to be rolled and checked for straightness too. There were so many bananas in the box. Even the Cobham 808’s or Shaughnessy 707’s signature sticks. Dean Markley sticks in the 80’s same thing. Regal Tip used to have such garbage glue on the nylon tip, they would fly off. Cappella made a very good stick. Firths and Zildjians are hit or miss still. The best sticks I found in the last 5 years are Innovative Percussion and Meinl. I haven’t played anything else in quite awhile.

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
Does anyone remember "Slam Rods"? (Or something like that name) They were purple plastic with big tapered tips. Ugly, uncomfortable, short...
Wham Rods. Those things were supposed to be made for electronic drums but I can’t picture them being good for anything.