Worst kit you've owned

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or worst item you've bought and were totally disappointed using it?

And maybe you don't have a worst kit or item, I've owned several kits and I don't have a worst but I'm guessing some do, what's your story?

Like a significant other, car, job - once you get it sometimes you get hit with that "what the hell was I thinking"?

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pearl MIJ "Valencia". shells so thin if you dropped them they would break.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sonor 8x14” 12 lug Ferro Manganese steel snare with parallel snare mechanism. I bought it new back in ‘82. Did one thing ok, cranked to oblivion. Cost a fortune, weighed a ton.

Close second was the 80’s Yamaha piccolo brass snare I owned for a month.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
A MIJ kit that was given to me by my cousin. I later gifted it t a forum member.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
My first kit,Apollo,sounded like crap!
More recent,a Cat Club kit that sounded like my Apollo!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've only had 4 kits in my 50+ years of playing but hands down it would have to be my first kit, a 4-piece Kent that my parents purchased for my brother at Montgomery Wards and then was handed down to me several years later. The bass drum had 6 lugs and was severely out-of-round. The wrap had bubbled and was separating from the shells. Still, it was my first kit so it still holds special sentimental value even though I got rid of it back in the early 70s.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
My first kit was the worst one by far. Not sure what the bass drum was. I think it was from a really really cheapo beginner's kit or even a toy. It didn't include a tom mount so my dad and I made one out of all thread and some other hardware from the orange big box store. The rack toms were Pearl Forums and missing the bottom hoops/heads and the floor tom and snare were no-name junk. I barely had the money for the drums and couldn't afford to replace the heads. The floor tom head needed replacing as I couldn't get it to tune lower than the rack toms. The floor and snare may or may not have been original to the bass drum, I can't remember, but at least all the drums matched in black, except for the wood snare that had a fake metal "wrap" on it that was more like shelf paper. The hi-hat cymbals had ridging on the edges, kind of like Sound Edge cymbals, but I think this was from someone putting a stick in between them and stomping down. Eventually they flattened out from me playing them. The other cymbals were even worse and the bass drum pedal broke when a buddy of mine stomped on it. I think it was made of pot metal. It was a big upgrade going to a Sunlite set after that.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha Rydeen :pukeright:

Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute was very disappointing. The most amount of money I have ever paid for a kit, $3,400 at that time. I could not get the toms to sing at all. They had die cast rims and the god-awful YESS mounts!!! The kick was nothing to write home about either. I quickly sold it.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
It was a custom teak wood snare. Sounded like absolute booty,crappy hardware and it didn't fit the shell and couldn't be saved.
Traded it at Crap Center for a pair of in-ears.

davidh

Reaction score
Premier "Resonator" shells with a inner thin ply liner - the least resonant drums I ever tried - one gig and they were gone

Ox Han

Reaction score
Pearl export kit.

Number 2; Ludwig Classic Maple bass drum.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
90,s Ludwig bronze snare drum. I brought it to rehearsal and my band leader said "i hope you're not planning on using that"?...had to admit, it was horrible. Traded it the next day where i bought it

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first MIJ kit when I was a kid with Camber cymbals. The worst sounding kit and cymbals ever but I'd buy it back in a heartbeat if I knew where it was. (Sentimental first kit) That's if it even exists anymore. It probably was put in the trash years ago. Thinking about it though, I'm sure I could have made it sound OK if I knew anything about drums back then. I remember it having the same factory heads forever.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sonor 8x14” 12 lug Ferro Manganese steel snare with parallel snare mechanism. I bought it new back in ‘82. Did one thing ok, cranked to oblivion. Cost a fortune, weighed a ton.

Close second was the 80’s Yamaha piccolo brass snare I owned for a month.
LOL! Really? The vaunted Sonor ferromanganese 12 lug snare, more expensive and heavier than most used cars, is the worst drum you ever owned? I imagine it’s the loudest drum ever made.

Which Yamaha brass piccolo?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mid 80's bronze Ludwig snare. Pain in the ass with T-Rods always falling out. Never sounded good.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
The worst drum kit I ever owned was my first kit — an E. W. Kent 12/20/5" snare that I bought from a friend. The 12" tom and 20" bass were salvageable and went on to become part of my original 7-piece road kit, but the snare was completely hopeless (replaced with a 5" Super-Sensitive).

The worst cymbal(s) I ever owned hands-down were the 14" Zyn hi-hats that came with the Kent kit. They produced clangiest, most unmusical sounds I ever heard from a cymbal. (On top of that, they had a dull gray patina that was just plain fugly!) I got rid of those even before I got rid of the Kent snare drum.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pearl Demon Drive pedal - too many inter- connected adjustments .

I don't remember owning a kit bad enough to ad to this list , but there have been lame bass drums along the way - 22" Pearl MLX and a couple Yamahas . I sold the kits complete .

Ludwig bronze and Yamaha 4" brass were very disappointing .

Last edited:

greegor

Reaction score
Tempro kit. Junk, but all I could afford as a teen.