Worst kit you've owned

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of slagging on the old MIJ stencils here, and in a way I don’t blame you, but with a little TLC, they can sound pretty darn good, all warm and thuddy...

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a tie for me .
1) Yamaha Hip Gig nesting kit - just an awful sounding bass drum . Could never get the Toms and cymbals in a suitable position for me . The 12” snare was awful too . The padding on the canister throne was thin to the point that after a set I may as well have been sittting on a wooden chair .

2) Pearl reissue wood/fibreglass kit - really disliked this kit , took it to one gig and knee after the first song , I would be selling it .

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd have never expected that many people not liking Ludwig Bronze snares...hmmmmm. Wish I still had mine!
Worst snare I ever owned was a Premier APK Cabria. Among other faults it had one snare bed on a wrong panel!
Honestly, most of the MIJ kits I've owned have been a blast to play & tinker with. I've seen some pretty shoddy 70's/80's Made in Taiwan stuff though with big gaps in the plywood shells, uber-cheap rims & 5-lug 16" floor toms.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
Noble & Cooley Horizon series...incredibly difficult to tune then to keep in tune...
A colossal disappointment...should've bought Gretsch USA Custom instead...(which I now have...what a JOY to play)

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Noble & Cooley Horizon series...incredibly difficult to tune then to keep in tune...
A colossal disappointment...should've bought Gretsch USA Custom instead...(which I now have...what a JOY to play)
I am surprised at this comment - was this from the original run of a horizon drums with the long tubular lugs or the current run with the CD Maples style lugs ?
I have a recent Horizon kit and I can go a lot of gigs without them losing their tuning . The Current Horizon series lugs have a delrin insert that really locks I the tuning .

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Tempro kit. Junk, but all I could afford as a teen.

Heh heh , I have a green oyster wrap 22 13 16 Tempro kit downstairs . Haven't the heart to get rid of it . It's been beaten to death and then some .

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two...

Older Gretsch Catalina Rock Kit. Soulless to my ears. Nothing there...

My recent C&C Player Date II Kit. One trick ponies. A very narrow tuning range.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mid-90s Pearl Exports in Ocean Blue. It was a dog. I've heard great-sounding Export kits before...but not this one. No tuning range on the toms, bass drum was ok. Maybe a Monday or Friday kit.

I think I hated it more than my original early 70s MIJ kit(not a fan), because I was expecting something from the Exports.

Dan

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My A&F brass snare had an ugly inner weld and the hardware and shell out of the box looked like they had sat for 100 years out in the bayou—on a brand new drum!

But seriously, all my gear has been serviceable, though some sounded better than others.

I had a China-made Sonor snare that required a new throw and butt plate. Both were put on with shallow wood screws that pulled out under tension. (The rest of the kit was fine, nothing spectacular, but tuned up good enough for garage band work.)

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tempus F/G , self tapping screws to attach lugs ?? really ??

I spent 4 hours tuning , yukk .
They are gone .

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LOL! Really? The vaunted Sonor ferromanganese 12 lug snare, more expensive and heavier than most used cars, is the worst drum you ever owned? I imagine it’s the loudest drum ever made.

Which Yamaha brass piccolo?
No, the Sonor wasn’t really that loud. It was a very strange drum since it kind of only gave out one sound regardless of tuning.

The Yamaha was this one:

2F48B2BF-BB19-4630-BF83-1DCB2D508DB9.jpeg

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha remote hihat... cable hats too sluggish in general, then the cable broke a month and a half later

Took me 9 years to find a replacement cable; so, $500 for a piece of unusable junk that lasted four practices

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Asama drums. Poor man's copy of a Tama Imperialstar or maybe swingstar. That drum has always intrigued me. The 12x8" tom sounded great, the 16x16" floor tom sounded ok but the 13x9" tom and 22x14" bass drum sounded like crap! I mean pure crap, no tuning range whatsoever, even the zola coating copy seem liked crap compared tho the other two drums!
I kept the 12x8 tom...still use it in a mix'n'match kit for gigs or travelling

Last edited:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Definitely my Gretsch Catalina, although my Yamaha Recording Customs (early 90s) were incredibly disappointing.

The Catalinas had a terrible tuning range and would never sound anything more than passable. The Recording Customs easily had the worst bass drum I have ever played. It's not even close. The toms were mostly attack and not much else. I would never buy another Recording Custom kit or a Catalina kit again.

Really surprised someone said a Player Date II. I have a friend that has one and I'm always impressed by the sounds he can get from it.

Last edited:

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
My recent C&C Player Date II Kit. One trick ponies. A very narrow tuning range.
[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I've been whatching these for months wondering if I should pull the trigger! Now I don't know what to do! Damn!

Dumpy

Reaction score
OCDP kit from Banjo Center. Needed Hydraulic heads to coax an okay sound from them. Ended up triggering Bonham sounding drum samples. Truly an awful kit.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've only had few kits that were actually mine (only 9 in 45 years of playing) and I've been fairly pleased with them all. But snares are a different story all together... I buy and sell snare drums for a hobby almost! So it is snare drums that I have found drums that I did not like and two come to my mind right away... and I still have one of them!

My very first kit was a 60's set of custom hand laid fiberglass drums (I've shared the story here several times) and the snare was a true abomination! I sold it when I was 16 and wound up being reunited years later. It's now restored (the rest of the kit sets nested under a workbench) and it's just as unplayable today as it was 50 years ago!

Of the newer drums I have passed along, my least favorite was a recent (within the past 2 years) Tama SLP Bubinga! No matter what head I mounted and the tuning I threw at it, I NEVER liked this drum! It had great build quality and clean, level edges but I never liked this drum... sold it off and never looked back!

20200125_184623.jpg

20190131_212659 copy.jpg

Latest posts