Worst kit you've owned

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No, the Sonor wasn’t really that loud. It was a very strange drum since it kind of only gave out one sound regardless of tuning.

The Yamaha was this one:

View attachment 459395
I am surprised. I’ve only read about the Sonor FM snare. But, I’ve demo’d some Yamaha brass piccolos and thought they sounded great. I love the sound of the Garibaldi snare, almost a piccolo.

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The worst kit for me was a set of Gretsch Catalina Jazz in bop sizes in WMP. They looked great, but sounded terrible with any heads/tuning. Nothing about the sound of that kit said "gretsch" to me.

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me, the most disappointing kit I've owned was an original Pearl Reference series. They just didn't have any body for me. The Reference Pure series seems to have been a reaction to that issue. YMMV!

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am surprised at this comment - was this from the original run of a horizon drums with the long tubular lugs or the current run with the CD Maples style lugs ?
I have a recent Horizon kit and I can go a lot of gigs without them losing their tuning . The Current Horizon series lugs have a delrin insert that really locks I the tuning .
it's the CD style...those inserts are terrible imo...one lug you can tune high or low without difficulty...another you're stuck with what IT wants to do(you can only back off the tension "so far")...the drums seemed to detune themselves without being played.a friend of mine also bought a set...he had a constant battle with them...he finally dumped them out of frustration.
I got a "heads up" from the rep I ordered them from before they arrived about how they'll be in tune one day then out the next...he semi-lied about that...he said it had to do with the wood settling...well...
later he admitted the lug design was terrible and the inserts were responsible...I'm too old to put up with poorly designed gear now...
I shelled out a bunch of money for a custom N& C set and was sorely disappointed.They looked great under bright lights tho...

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Tama Imperialstar Powerline snare, 6.5" x 14", seamless steel. Sounded like total garbage. Had a tinny ring to it that couldn't be dialed out. Sounded terrible in a room and terrible under a mic. So happy I was able to pawn it off on someone else.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Or worst item you've bought and were totally disappointed using it?

And maybe you don't have a worst kit or item, I've owned several kits and I don't have a worst but I'm guessing some do, what's your story?

Like a significant other, car, job - once you get it sometimes you get hit with that "what the hell was I thinking"?
- In 1975 or so I made the mistake of buying a set of white Fibes - 22,13,14, 16,18 - from Tom Lee Music in Hong Kong. The price was great -- like Manny's in NYC at the time -- and I was able to take them back to the Philippines (Clark) on the plane. I bought them because I very much liked the sound Al Mouzon got from his when I saw Larry Coryell's 11th House at the Jazz Workshop in Boston (you can hear his here:
). I used the same heads - coated Ambassadors, both sides - but instead of Al, I got Jim Gordon/Ralph Humphrey/Nigel Olson: not the sounds I wanted. And the tom holder - good grief! It took forever to position in the right place and slipped easily. That made Walberg and Auge stuff look good. When I took the drums apart, I was unimpressed with build quality. Not a happy camper was I.

When I got assigned to Yokota (Tokyo) in 1977, I dumped the Fibes as soon as I could. I found some Pearl Fiberglass shells, which were much better made and more sonically versatile. At the time, Steve Gadd was hot and I was able to duplicate his sound using Hydraulic batters. I put Yamaha mounts on them and kept that kit until 1998 or so, when I caught the Gretsch disease.

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pearl Export kit. I don’t hate it or anything, but it was my worst kit.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
it's the CD style...those inserts are terrible imo...one lug you can tune high or low without difficulty...another you're stuck with what IT wants to do(you can only back off the tension "so far")...the drums seemed to detune themselves without being played.a friend of mine also bought a set...he had a constant battle with them...he finally dumped them out of frustration.
I got a "heads up" from the rep I ordered them from before they arrived about how they'll be in tune one day then out the next...he semi-lied about that...he said it had to do with the wood settling...well...
later he admitted the lug design was terrible and the inserts were responsible...I'm too old to put up with poorly designed gear now...
I shelled out a bunch of money for a custom N& C set and was sorely disappointed.They looked great under bright lights tho...
Wow, now that’s a complaint I have never heard about N&C after over 20 years of playing them. I once tuned up my CD Maples to bop range and didn’t retune them for almost a year - they didn’t budge. The inserts to make it a bit harder to tune by feel, and head changes take a couple minutes longer, but they never detune or lose tension on their own. However, everyone has their own favorite (or least favorite) drums. I’ve been disappointed with Ludwig forever - never had one I’ve kept more than a month or two.

Skeet6

Reaction score
Catalina Club. Bought for a summer bunch of jazz rehearsals to (possibly) keep at a rehearsal space some years ago. Sold it right after that gig fizzled... I still giggle when people brag about their "Great Gretsch Sound" - as a Gretsch player for well over 40 years, no, sorry... it's a basic Chinese/Taiwanese kit with Gretsch badges. (Can be made to sound ok, but so can pretty much anything else...)
Mike B

Ox Han

Reaction score
My recent C&C Player Date II Kit. One trick ponies. A very narrow tuning range.
Seriously? I've been whatching these for months wondering if I should pull the trigger! Now I don't know what to do! Damn!
[/QUOTE]
They seem to sound good on the samples I've heard, but at the same time there always seems to be used player date 1/2 sets on reverb. I always found that odd considering how much praise they get.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously? I've been whatching these for months wondering if I should pull the trigger! Now I don't know what to do! Damn!
They seem to sound good on the samples I've heard, but at the same time there always seems to be used player date 1/2 sets on reverb. I always found that odd considering how much praise they get.
[/QUOTE]
They definitely looked better than they played IMHO.
D3CA7650-7EC7-43F7-B4A4-2D4B809CDB5E.jpeg

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like many have said, my first drum set. It was a blue sparkle 5pc. MIJ Slingerland knock-off (probably made by Star) my Dad bought from the Sears Catalog in 1972 for my 12th birthday and Christmas.

Over time I replaced the stock heads with Coated Ambassadors, but even at age 13, I recognized their limitations in terms of tuning and tone. 6 lug wood snare and 6 lug bass drum. I know people rave about MIJ kits, but the day I received my first Gretsch set in 1974, the difference was like night and day. But, that first kit did the job in terms of getting me started.

Having said that, I'd love to have it for nostalgia. I found what looked to be the identical kit for sale for $500 at GC in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago but couldn't bring myself to spending $500 on something I'd never play. I contacted a friend who works in GC Management to see if he could do anything and the kit sold the next day. So it wasn't meant to be... I don't need any more drums! :)

TrickRoll

Reaction score
My first kit - 1967 Pink Champagne Ludwig Club Date with Acro snare.. Everything was fine about it except the floor tom. Almost impossible to tune unless you wanted a 'boing' effect.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gretsch Catalina (again!). Knew what I was getting for the price and didn't expect the "great Gretsch sound" but didn't even get a "good Gretsch sound" after tweaking, tuning, re-heading, etc. Was supposed to be good for the practice space and schlep around to beer soaked gigs. Hated it, gave it to a student with full transparency.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
A Tama superstar overdrive. Not a bad kit per se but I was never super inspired by it. Got it as a gift so, don't look a gifted horse and all that... But I'd try to jam along to some motown stuff and would end up sounding all modern rock-y. It felt like the drums equivalent of that Ibanez guitar that's got a handle carved in it, you know, the one that Steve Vai uses. You wouldn't want that to play in a CCR tribute band. Technically you can, but it will always sound out of place. I just sold it, so I hope my next aquisition won't be posted here...
20200910_234220.jpg

TPC

Reaction score
Pearl free floating brass piccolo. Hit it harder than a whisper and my eyeballs hurt. Quality drum but holy crap was it loud and piercing.

Early 90’s Pearl 22-12-13-16 maple (MLX?). Again, very high quality drums but they sounded like I had the reverb and sustain turned up to 10. They just booooooooomed forever.

Unlike many, I really liked the old MIJ set I had. The thin luan shells and tight coated heads gave sort of a Gretsch tone. Granted, not as rich and big, but a nice quick, punchy pop.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Pearl free floating brass piccolo. Hit it harder than a whisper and my eyeballs hurt. Quality drum but holy crap was it loud and piercing.

Early 90’s Pearl 22-12-13-16 maple (MLX?). Again, very high quality drums but they sounded like I had the reverb and sustain turned up to 10. They just booooooooomed forever.

Unlike many, I really liked the old MIJ set I had. The thin luan shells and tight coated heads gave sort of a Gretsch tone. Granted, not as rich and big, but a nice quick, punchy pop.
I know exactly what you're talking about. The drummer in my band in the mid 90's to early 2000's had a Pearl Brass free floating 6.5x14 cranked way up and that thing was insanely loud. It cut right through stacks of amps and a Leslie set at indecent volume to keep up. Rimshots were a painful affair. Well he's deaf now so... These things should be sold with a warning sign.

Reactions: TPC

Latest posts