Worst kit you've owned

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mid-90s Pearl Exports in Ocean Blue. It was a dog. I've heard great-sounding Export kits before...but not this one. No tuning range on the toms, bass drum was ok. Maybe a Monday or Friday kit.

I think I hated it more than my original early 70s MIJ kit(not a fan), because I was expecting something from the Exports.

Dan
You and I were exactly the same on both accounts other than my Export was pewter. That thing sounded like cardboard boxes being hit much worse than I remember my MIJ red sparkle beater.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or worst item you've bought and were totally disappointed using it?

And maybe you don't have a worst kit or item, I've owned several kits and I don't have a worst but I'm guessing some do, what's your story?

Like a significant other, car, job - once you get it sometimes you get hit with that "what the hell was I thinking"?
WORST? FIRST kit! bought at a pawn shop.. passed up a Vistalite kit (had no clue what it was). to buy a no name plain white wrapped kit virtually gave it away.. bought a 80's Pearl Export from pawn shop.. Still play it at church.

Jawshoeuh

Reaction score
There is a tie for me .
1) Yamaha Hip Gig nesting kit - just an awful sounding bass drum . Could never get the Toms and cymbals in a suitable position for me . The 12” snare was awful too . The padding on the canister throne was thin to the point that after a set I may as well have been sittting on a wooden chair .

2) Pearl reissue wood/fibreglass kit - really disliked this kit , took it to one gig and knee after the first song , I would be selling it .

ha! was that the Rick Marotta version?? never heard that one in person.

I always wanted the Al Foster version with bigger sizes (18/12/14, 13 snare); heard one live and thought it sounded pretty damn good, but it was way out of my price range... think it listed for like $1800 or something crazy.

I bought a barely used Manu Katche hip gig 16/10/13/12 back in early 2000s (no nesting and regular hardware with single tom mount on the bass drum) for like $300 or $350 barely used and seller threw in a set of hardware... turned out to be a great little kit and I used it on a ton of gigs (although I usually left the 12" snare at home).

And I could throw the toms and snare in a conga bag and still get everything in the door in 1 trip. :D

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The worst purchase was one of the most expensive at around $800. A solid Ironwood one piece shell 12 x 6 snare from Spirit Drums of Australia. I had ordered an 8 lug and while waiting had bought some wood hoops to go on it. It arrived as a 6 lug and had no hoops or snare wires. Those were subsequently sent weeks later. I never could get it tuned how I liked a snare to sound and for all the hype about solid shells and sensitivity etc it very, very disappointing and was sold on at half the cost .....

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Wow, so many folks said their MIJ stuff was crap. I started on a Stewart MIJ luan shell set back in '72. Over-time, I used poly-urethane on the inside shells, packed the lugs with cotton to silence the springs, waxed the bearing edges, got Remo heads and worked on getting the best sound I could from that kit. I played it for 4 years. I gigged the hell out of those drums and they never fell apart. I gave the set to a friend in '76 when I purchased a Ludwig Stainless Steel set. But, I digress, the worst piece of sounding crap was an out-of-round 60's Gretsch tom that I mistakenly bought online.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
The worst purchase was one of the most expensive at around $800. A solid Ironwood one piece shell 12 x 6 snare from Spirit Drums of Australia. I had ordered an 8 lug and while waiting had bought some wood hoops to go on it. It arrived as a 6 lug and had no hoops or snare wires. Those were subsequently sent weeks later. I never could get it tuned how I liked a snare to sound and for all the hype about solid shells and sensitivity etc it very, very disappointing and was sold on at half the cost .....
That stinks! I had similar luck with some solid shell stuff. A maple and a walnut shell I had custom built at different times. The one solid shell I had that sounded stellar was a Noble & Cooley Cherry Wood 5 x 14. But, after years of hassles to de-tune and re-tune both sides simultaneously just to change a drum head, I gave up and sold it. Nodal point single lug tuning is a nightmare.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My recent C&C Player Date II Kit. One trick ponies. A very narrow tuning range.
Seriously? I've been whatching these for months wondering if I should pull the trigger! Now I don't know what to do! Damn!
[/QUOTE]
My experience only. I was extremely disappointed since I waited so long for them.

cruddola

Reaction score
early '80's TAMA Imperialstar concert toms. Toneless junk.
Wow! Sad to hear that! I inherited over fifty 1980's Imperialstar drums from my late brother including all the concert toms, octobans, 26-inch bass drums, 16, 18 and two 20-inch floor toms, 8 standard-sized tom, six X-tra toms and 2 gong drums. There's about a dozen Tama snares including 2 bell-brass and three Rosewood snares among them. All are still in their unopened boxes locked up in his storage container. The Imperialstars are sweet and powerful. On live gigs they ruled the stage. Albeit, a narrow tuning range compared to my Recording and Maple Custom Absolutes. But I'm able to get to their 'sweet-spots' mighty easily on these beasts. I also got about 25 Yamaha 1980's ROCK-Tour Customs including 26-inch X 18 bass drums. Here's a photo of one of the 3 Yamaha ROCK Tour bass drums alongside a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit's 22-inch (also have 2 YMCA 24-inch) bass drum. All still in their boxes unopened. You're looking at a brand new 26-incher just out of the bag. Here's the kicker, he was a sensational jazz session sax and flute player! When on the drums, it was all Hard Rock-Zeppelin style for him. Rock-on. Gary!

Attachments

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Even the cocktail waitress at the club I played at commented on how crappy the huge 9 piece Imperialstar set sounded compared to my old wimpy 20-12-13-16 Rogers set that they replaced. Remember, the Tamas WERE concert toms!

Friends don't let friends buy concert toms.

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine was a 94 DW collectors kit. 26,12,14,16,18 5” deep wood shell snare. The bass drum was great. The toms were very disappointing . The 14” floor was untunable. The 16 & 18, meh. It took three goes to get a decent 12. The first one I got was out of round. The second one the wrap seem lifted straight away . The third was ok at best. The kit sounded good from 20 feet away, but very unsatisfying from behind.

microkit

Reaction score
Two...

Older Gretsch Catalina Rock Kit. Soulless to my ears. Nothing there...

My recent C&C Player Date II Kit. One trick ponies. A very narrow tuning range.

Do you find them dead and thumpy, and they only work tuned low to medium low? I like the demos I've heard of these but I'm also a sucker for dead drums, so I wonder.

Latest posts