WORST Sounding China Cymbal?

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got myself into a sorta punk band and am looking for the worst sounding china cymbal imaginable.

Now, I'm not looking for a piece of junk, but a good quality cymbal that just sounds awful.

You guys know of any?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I owned & played plenty of those Wuhan China Lions (16, 18, 20, 22") years ago before I knew any better, sure, they're authentic Chinese cymbals but the harsh tonality is pure white noise, not what I define as musical sounding. Ancient Asian warriors used to clang them together prior to battle and we all know what Chinese new year celebrations sound like. Those are Wuhan Lions. The rawest & nastiest china sounds available.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I would agree. Sometimes you can find them for cheap at Guitar center and elsewhere, like $20 cheap.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
EVERY China crash is the worst. Ooof, can't understand why they're popular. I had one in 1993, thinking I could make some use out of it, and it was gone by 1994! B)

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I love Paistes, but the Rude Wild China is the oddest sounding china I know. Doesn´t open up at all (or maybe I didn´t hit it hard enough) and sounds just really clangy and harsh.
Not sure what you mean by "good quality" though - the cheaper chinas by Paiste (PST5, Alpha...) and Meinl (Classics) also offer "good quality" and IMHO awful sounds.
Beware of the Zildjian S series china - this thing actually sounds pretty decent.:)

Iristone

Reaction score
Depending on what's the bad sound you're looking for. If you'd like a gongy, harsh overtone then any cheap stamped cymbal will work (Zildjian ZBTs, Meinl Classics, etc.). OTOH (I guess more likely) if you're looking for the sonic crossover between a cymbal and an exploding trash can lid, my Chang (essentially the domestic equivalent of a Wuhan) ticks all the boxes for me nicely. :thumbleft:

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
I have a Sabian AAX Xtreme 17" China. The Extreme moniker the company gave it was right! It's not very sonic, and is so over the top cutting and aggressive I struggle to fit it into the music I play (and I play nu-metal sort of stuff). The only genres I reckon it could actually work in are metalcore and the similarly extreme.