WORST Sounding China Cymbal?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a bunk 20 Avidis in the 80's. It sounded awful!

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Sabian AAX Xtreme 17" China. The Extreme moniker the company gave it was right! It's not very sonic, and is so over the top cutting and aggressive I struggle to fit it into the music I play (and I play nu-metal sort of stuff). The only genres I reckon it could actually work in are metalcore and the similarly extreme.
I have the 15", 17" and 19" AAX Extreme chinas and they are glorious! They work with any sort of modern prog/rock/metal. The 19" is the most mellow of the bunch and opens up at low volumes so it can work with more genres than the 17" and 15", but the 2 smaller ones work in lots of music.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 on the trashy Wuhan for punk, but buy a few because they break or put them on the Aquarian cymbal springs.
Or a Rude Novo china; you have to nail the crap out of those and they can take it.
I wouldn't wish a 20" Z custom china on my worst enemy, but I won't sell mine either hah!

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
CHECK the awesome---Spiral Thingy on the Far RIGHT...>>ok semi-awesome--->>>

and everything he has up there is weird/cymbalwise

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CHECK the awesome---Spiral Thingy on the Far RIGHT...>>ok semi-awesome--->>>

and everything he has up there is weird/cymbalwise
I had to return mine. It wouldn't fit in my cymbal bag.
That one might stay "in the underground"

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I’ve got a 16” Saluda Voodoo China that sounds pretty awful. Though honestly it’s no different from a Wuhan when it comes down to it.

jmato

Reaction score
It all depends on what you consider awful. I own a UFIP FX Series Trash China (not Effects Series, although it has a similar finish) that is perfect for metal. I mean perfect. By that, I mean it is loud and aggressive and trashy and angry sounding. It's not beautiful or pretty or even usable in most musical settings, but my friends who play metal/punk adore it.

markkarj

Reaction score
Cheap is not necessarily always bad. In my case, I had a Sabian B8 Pro 18" China from the early 1990s. For an inexpensive cymbal, it was a very good cymbal... a good wash and not a gong. I sold it when I bought 16" and 20" Istanbul Agop traditionals.

Blisco

Reaction score
To my ears, a Sabian B8 Pro in 16 is probably the most painful sounding china I've ever had the displeasure of striking.

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For bad as in "pleasing", I really like the Paiste Twenty series China's, or a Paiste T20 China. Even the XS20 from Sabian I enjoy or Paiste PST5 ones.

For bad as in "get this away from me", I guess I don't care for the "pro" Chinas that much. They always sound too thick to me. don't know why.

Iristone

Reaction score
I guess if you can find a large enough, nicely machined steel pot lid it might actually sound not bad as an effect cymbal. I sometimes tap on them just for fun, and they certainly don't hurt my ears like those stamped brass/bronze crap they call ZBTs, HCSs, etc.. :sign6:

Latest posts