Worst thing about modern drums?

Power toms? Beer can kick drums? Other?

• Power toms

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Bass drum depth>diameter (aka "The beer can")

Votes: 69 36.9%
  • Fiberboard shells

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Slotted/hole-saw snares

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • Painted lugs and hoops

Votes: 32 17.1%
  • Double kick pedals

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Boutique drums that cost more than your car

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • other...

Votes: 18 9.6%

• Total voters

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like some vintage and some modern drums. It is obvious that today's cymbal stands, tom mounts and bass drum pedals are more reliable and made very well.

No painted lugs for me, I like nice shiny chrome. I like 60's and 70's snare drums. I believe that when Mike Curotto says he does not like the sound of vintage snares that he is talking about the 20's and 30's snares and drums.

I do not like cannon bass drums or whatever is the cool name for them.

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
I voted for power toms. I never understood why they even saw the light of day. Another thing I never cared for with modern drums was hardware that weighed a ton. I realize most stands hold more then just a cymbal or two, but some of the modern hardware is overkill IMHO.

I have a modern kit (2005 Mapex M) as well as a vintage kit (1976 Premier). I like both for different reasons. The Mapex has a more sharply defined sound while the Premier kit is warmer.

And why are double pedals even a selection in this poll? I have one and think it's great. It beats the hell out of lugging a 2nd bass drum around. Been there, done that.

Overall the build quality of modern drums is much better then it was 30 or 40 years ago. That's not to say they didn't make some great drums back them.

There are poor quality drums being made today, but there were also poorly made drums being made back in the day. Almost anything that had a "Made in Japan" label and built prior to 1975-76 was crap.

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
My biggest problems are weight and lack of sizes. Folks can play what they want, but I'd like the option of shallower bass drums. Oh and NO ONE makes a decent light snare stand with an infinite tilter!!

I find that a lot of high end kits these days are just full of bells and whistle's and lots of HYPE. Pearl Reference are a prime example.

I like vintage gear because it's easy to use. Not all of it is great and not all current gear is bad, but if I had to buy new drums from a major, there would only be a few options. Thank god I already have plenty that I like.

I just recently saw Brian Blade deal with a snare stand that was slipping all night.. DW ! top of the line. Ha Ha!

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
My take on this is....alot of it is just plain marketing, not that this a bad thing, drum companies are looking to sell drums, if there is a new cache that takes hold, they will build it. Take bass drums, the standard was a 14x22, then 16 x 22 came out, making the 14 look "out of date" whats better than a 16" depth bass drum..well 18" of course...then the more is better takes hold and voila 22 x20 or even 22x22.

I remember in the 80s when 13" hi hats were the "hip" size again making 14" look old fashioned...the K/Z thing comes to mind.

Personally I am GLAD drum companies do this stuff...big sizes, power toms, small sizes, deep bass drums, different colors, finishes etc.

It gives me a chance to compare and try them out, I mean would we all be happy if ALL the drum companies simply made one size kit ?

can you imagine if all that was available was a 14x20 8x12 14x14....we all would be saying, how about some different sizes...like deeper bass drums and deeper and bigger toms...right?

So I have both modern and vintage and enjoy both, and like the options, then I can decide what works for me.
What don't I like about modern drums...is nothing, I like what is coming out, Hardware, different story....we need super light hardware that does the job...lugging anything heavy is no good....my motto...light is right.

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't have any real beefs; never has there been more variety out there. Big drums, little drums, dark cymbals, bright cymbals...and everything in between.

Marketing is marketing, it always will be, but there should be something for everybody. Maybe someone will hear the multiple requests for shorter bass drums and start a new trend, or bring back an old one. Doorways are a concern for many. :icon_smile:

My but we're a traditional bunch!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The worst thing with modern drums is the price. If I want to buy just a standard "normal" drum kit like they used to make them (Gretsch USA, Ludwig Legacy, Yamaha Recording etc.)I have to pay stupid prices.

tubelugs

Reaction score
I swear the response from the the beater is just a little bit slower, maybe 'cause of the additional air that it has to move inside the drum (I've seen this debated here before and I know some dispute this).
Sound travels at around 1 foot / millisecond, so adding depth to any drum does make it respond more slowly. That's physics. Can your ear hear a fraction of a millisecond difference? Some can - especially if you have a lot of rudimental experience - some cannot.

onemat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bad stock heads. Just got my Keystones. Came with G2s with cool custom logos. The rezo sides have single ply (G1s?) again with cool logos, this time the seventies Ludwig logo. Those heads are just fine, but the bass drum heads sound like crap. The reso is so freakin thin you can't a low tone out of it. Tune it just above wringle to get some low end and it sound ike plastic sheeting flapping in the wind. It was embarrassing to demo the bass drum at rehearsals yesterday. Everything else about this kit is great. I would have rather Ludwig used there own heads on the B.D...they are way better. I ordered an heavier Luddie reso and an Emad.
Matt

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I believe that when Mike Curotto says he does not like the sound of vintage snares that he is talking about the 20's and 30's snares and drums.
First you have to know why he does not like the sound of vintage snare drums (he doesn't collect kits). He sets them up w/ calf heads top & bottom and uses gut wires so they sound like they did back when they were new. I have 1 snare drum set up like that and it certainly doesn't work for any type of music I play.

I love the sound of my snare drums from the 20's, both Ludwigs and Leedys. But I set them up w/ modern heads and wires.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Those heads are just fine, but the bass drum heads sound like crap. The reso is so freakin thin you can't a low tone out of it. Tune it just above wringle to get some low end and it sound ike plastic sheeting flapping in the wind.
Actually you should do the opposite to get a low tone out of the bass drum. Tune the reso side tight and the batter head just above wrinkle. That should give you better results but I agree, those heads aren't the greatest by any means.

onemat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've actually tried it that way too, looser on the reso side. I usually set the reso somewhere in between. If it's too loose I don't get the bounce i'm used to. Gonna play with it a little tonight but problem will be solved when my upgrade heads who up.

Matt

dluquette

Reaction score
I have a Noble & Cooley kit that I absolutely love - no it doesn't sound vintage but its not so it shouldn't. I think that they all have their place. One size doesn't fit all. I have owned two Gretsch RB kits and can't get the bass to make a sound that I like. I own a Camco Oaklawn that is fabulous. I like a sound that is not too dry though - Bottom line - personal preference. Buy what you like and play the mess out of em'

rondrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My biggest problems are weight and lack of sizes. Folks can play what they want, but I'd like the option of shallower bass drums. Oh and NO ONE makes a decent light snare stand with an infinite tilter!!
Forget shallower bass drums. They went out of fashion 25 years ago. There's absolutely no acoustic reason for this--it's just trendy marketing. Yes, I'm aware that there was no acoustic science behind 14" deep bass drums either, but they worked extremely well for over 50 years. They responded nice and fast, and they sounded great. There was no reason to change the formula--until some marketing guy who never played drums in his life said, "Let's add 2" or 3" or 4" to the bass drum depth. It will look cool." Same thing with "power toms." It's absurd and useless.

As much as I hate to recommend Yamaha anything, they do make a decent light snare stand with an infinite tilter, no ratchet teeth. I have a couple of them, and they have held up well. You have to splay the single-braced legs pretty far apart to get some stability, and as usual with lower-priced Yamaha stuff, the chrome plating is not the best. Those people have their cost-efficiency down to the 10th of a penny, and they will not put good chrome plating on anything but their top of the line stuff.

Here it is, for $50.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-Single-Braced-Light-weight-Snare-Stand-105016901-i1421704.gc

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i am always hear folks rag on kick drum depth, i love old drums but i also have a a small kit here with a 18'' x 18'' kick, and i love the sound from it.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I voted for the double pedal; and hypocritically own 2; Tama Iron Cobras and DW 5000s. But I have them apart and use them on double bass drum sets. I don't like the look or feel of double pedals.

As a kid I fell in love with the look of 2 bass drum sets. I still like that look and feel. In fact, I only have one set that isn't a double bass. It will eventually though.

I like Rogers swivo beavertails of the era 1964-68 and Slingerlands from 1965-72ish. I like the newer beefier chrome stands though. I like real floor toms with real legs; 14X14, 16X16, and 18X16.