Worst thing about modern drums?

Power toms? Beer can kick drums? Other?

• Power toms

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Bass drum depth>diameter (aka "The beer can")

Votes: 68 36.6%
  • Fiberboard shells

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Slotted/hole-saw snares

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • Painted lugs and hoops

Votes: 32 17.2%
  • Double kick pedals

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Boutique drums that cost more than your car

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • other...

Votes: 18 9.7%

• Total voters

rikmono

Reaction score
Come on, Whats wrong with innovation? We can't all play the same drums can we? We cant all wear the same jeans and not have tattoos. Just try to imagine some really creative people making use of the things that annoy you and try to relax to a lynard skinard album or whatever it is you relax to!

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure I posted this before but I will repeat. I ran into the Yamaha rep at DCI a couple years ago. I told him about my vintage Slingerlands and my sons Ludwigs. He said they can't make drums like that any more because the glue had formaldehyde in it and is illegal now. The old shells were 3 or 5 ply with reinforcing rings. Making a thin but very resonant shell. The new drums are one thickness and have a different bearing edge. So since the manufacture is different the sound is different. The shells are much thicker and don't resonate as much, you get more of a head sound. Not better or worse just different.
This is simply not true. I personally own 4 Keller maple-shelled kits...1 5ply, 1 6ply, 1 8ply, 1 10 ply, and a mahogany/poplar-shelled kit also. All obviously different thicknesses, and completely different tonally. The 5 ply and 6 ply kits are as resonant as any vintage kit I've ever played or owned...the 5 ply kit is almost TOO resonant, if that's possible.
Check out some of the Mapex Saturn, Tama Starclassic, and Yamaha Absolute kits-among many others. Thin shells, a lot of tone. Only going to get better as the moisture pulls out of the shells over time.

auto.pilot

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with modern drums, just different. I have no problem with the 'beer can' bass, since it sounds amazing! Just pounded out some Lenny Kravitz, Offspring and Nirvana tonight. My new Gretsch 18x22 has more power than any vintage bass I've ever owned. This discussion confirms that owning several sets is a good thing.

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
The last two weekends I used two different backline kits at festivals. BOTH had a kick mounted double tom mount with post. I COULD NOT bring the ride tom in torwards me enough :evil: I don't know why the post are drilled so far forward on these new kits :-? One was a Pearl Sessions and I'm not sure of the other brand. With my vintage kits, I have NO PROBLEM pulling the ride tom right in my pocket (I use vintage rail mounts). Anyway, I don't have much experience with new kits, but judging by these two, that's alright by me.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have much experience playing them, but I will agree that the deep bass drums look silly to my eye -

I do sometimes chuckle to myself at the intense emphasis on virgin basses, suspension mounts & other modern devices to increase resonance - only to see a gelatinous mound of moon gel, muffling rings, pillow, blankets, heavy heads and the like in employment and the pride I see taken when some folks achieve that perfect bass "click" sound. ?

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the instrument sounds good, I like it. I have two new kits, a Gretsch 125th aniversary green lacquer kit and an enormous Craviotto Bonham sized kit in cherry shells. They are both very tunable, well made and sound great. Because the finishes are so sensitive, I wouldn't take them out. But I get lot's of complements during my in home sessions.

Vintage is great. Some of my kits sound terrific. But the hardware is awful. Tolerable at best and unusable frequently. W&A rail mounts are absurd. Camco tom arms stop holding up the drums after a while. Gretsch floating action? There are easier ways to get through the Immigration Song. Micro strainers? Thy're OK for a dinner gig. Anything louder, break out the duct tape or a rubber band. .Swivos are cool but if you break a set screw then you're sunk until the next eBay auction.

As long as I can tune it, get the drums placed where I can play them, hear some resonance and things won't fall over, I don't care when it was made.

But all and all there is something very cool about a vintage kit that meets those above requirements. They look better than modern kits.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The last two weekends I used two different backline kits at festivals. BOTH had a kick mounted double tom mount with post. I COULD NOT bring the ride tom in torwards me enough :evil: I don't know why the post are drilled so far forward on these new kits :-?
...especially a problem if the left ride tom is a 10".

DrumSmith

Reaction score
I wish they'd require a drumming aptitude test before you could buy double pedals. I mean, Dave Weckl can have one. But, why do I have to hear some show-off throwing in power flams during Mustang Sally? Pure cheese.

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree - I went for a naked bd with my Custom USA Gretsch drums last year - 4pc with 18bd. I didn't go with the bd mount because I thought it would look too clunky with the small bd. I also have RIMS on my 10&12 toms on my 6pc Purewood kit. I had a rack system with that and sold it....now I wish I hadn't done that because the tripod-type Gibraltar stands weigh a ton! It's bad enough with with one 12" tom with my Custom kit. I think I will take the RIMS off....all the drums, go back to a smaller rack (I had the dblbass rack) for the 6pc and a snare stand for the USA Custom.

I have a Gretsch 50's kit with a the rail-mount and diamond plate on the 12" tom. That kit is the simplest kit out of the three to set up and play.

I will add that when I pack up my hardware for the 6pc kit I can hardly lift it.....it's gotta weigh 3-400 lbs:mellow: .........feels like it anyway.

Heavey duty hardware - the idea is good....but I sure like my late 50's and early 60's Ludwig stands..

Big horrible modern stands and hardware and RIMS (what's that all about?!). I used the house kit at the club I played at the other day and the stands and tom holder were huge and heavy but they were far more wobbly than my 60s Ludwig stuff. Weight and bulk have been substituted for good design.

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree - I went for a naked bd with my Custom USA Gretsch drums last year - 4pc with 18bd. I didn't go with the bd mount because I thought it would look too clunky with the small bd. I also have RIMS on my 10&12 toms on my 6pc Purewood kit. I had a rack system with that and sold it....now I wish I hadn't done that because the tripod-type Gibraltar stands weigh a ton! It's bad enough with with one 12" tom with my Custom kit. I think I will take the RIMS off....all the drums, go back to a smaller rack (I had the dblbass rack) for the 6pc and a snare stand for the USA Custom.

I have a Gretsch 50's kit with a the rail-mount and diamond plate on the 12" tom. That kit is the simplest kit out of the three to set up and play.

I will add that when I pack up my hardware for the 6pc kit I can hardly lift it.....it's gotta weigh 3-400 lbs:mellow: .........feels like it anyway.

Heavey duty hardware - the idea is good....but I sure like my late 50's and early 60's Ludwig stands..

Big horrible modern stands and hardware and RIMS (what's that all about?!). I used the house kit at the club I played at the other day and the stands and tom holder were huge and heavy but they were far more wobbly than my 60s Ludwig stuff. Weight and bulk have been substituted for good design.
You need a hand truck for that kind of weight. I went through a process of downsizing by weight. At one point I was playing two racks and a floor tom with three crashes and a ride and only using two stands. All the hardware went in a duffle bag over my shoulder. Admittedly, futtsing with the multiclamps took more time, but the smaller footprint helped in tight spaces. Also the set up worked with old and new drums. I used the old Pearl ISS system so you didn't have to remove rims to take the hardware off the toms.

Latest posts