Worth having 2 kits ?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just bought a new Canopus set but I still have a sonor AQ2 left over. I'm wondering if it's worth keeping or if should sell it and get a new cymbal from Matt Nolan. Thanks!
Honestly I would keep it. If you’d like the Drums...And what if you have a gig for your set up for five nights in a row? Then you get a call to do something during the day. I have three kits And I’m building another

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a working drummer for almost every one of the past forty-five years with the exception of brief interruptions due to a motorcycle accident in 1991, a major stroke in 2008, and of course the pandemic this past year. I bounced back and returned to gigging after the first two. I'm operating on the assumption that I will get to be a gigging drummer again, hopefully this year.

I keep a small kit set up in my basement music room for daily practice. I don't want to have to deal with an additional tear down before each gig, or an additional setup afterward. This makes it easier to practice in between gigs.

I keep one kit set up where the band that I'm in rehearses each week for the same reason as above. My time is more valuable than to waste it setting up and tearing down every week. In my last band I kept a kit setup for six years where we rehearsed without having to move it.

I always keep a kit in cases on a rack by the back door of my music room, ready to load out. These days it is a shell bank, which gives me options for any gig situation. It might be slightly over the top, but it works for me.

These days I have one other kit in cases, also on a rack. Admittedly, it is currently redundant. But if I get involved in a second band, that kit would be set up wherever the second band rehearsed. In the past it has been common for me to be in more than one band at a time, it could happen again. (I'm hopeful.)

For me three kits is minimum, four is reasonable and manageable. You mileage may vary based on your own situation.

Last edited:

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A second set is always a welcome. Nothing beats having a work set (with cymbals and all including a 2nd snare) all cased and ready to go at short notice. The trophy set always stays home and never leaves my living room. Even if the venue had it's own kit, I always had mine always in the van. I was always ready. A professional is always ready, no room for error. Once a tour was over I prepped for the next as soon as I got home. Ready to roll on the next as soon as the call came in. Keep that second kit if you're thinking of taking on jobs.

Malc

Reaction score
Funnily enough this is something that I've been pondering recently
I have a kit with mesh heads in my garage that I use for practicing at home, another that's a real bitsa kit at my bands rehearsal space and my Premier Resonator all cased up in my van trailer,ready for when we can next gig.
My worry is what if my Premiers got stolen/ trashed etc just before a gig I haven't got anything worthy of being immediately playable. With this in mind I'm now looking for a "spare" kit but in completely different sizes to the Resonators, thus giving me options on what kit to use and a backup.

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
yup - one is good, two is better

One to setup and play on for practice - one in cases for the road.

I have 3 duplicate kits. 1 in my home studio, 1 in our bands rehearsal space, and 1 in cases for gigs.

F

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
It would make sense to expand your cymbal arsenal a bit, especially if the kits are of the same size. I’d personally rather have more cymbals to color the sound of the kit than 2 kits of the same sizes.

moondrum

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just bought a new Canopus set but I still have a sonor AQ2 left over. I'm wondering if it's worth keeping or if should sell it and get a new cymbal from Matt Nolan. Thanks!
I think there is nothing wrong with having 2 kits, especially if they’re different sizes different wood etc. and would be for different music. You can have one set up for practice and one packed up for gigs ( when gigs come back!) One thing about having one kit is it gets to be a pain breaking down and setting up your one set for a gig.,rehearsals or home practice. With two kits one kit can be packed up ,always ready to go.As far as getting another cymbal . Just save up or think of selling something else to raise funds for the cymbal

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I prefer three myself. 1 packed up in cases, ultrlight hardware in a hardware case, packed up, ready to go gig. 1 setup for practicing at home, amd one setup striclty for recording under mics.

Last edited:

Guzowskip

Reaction score
Hello all,

Surely this is not a new opinion but for flexibility and time savings... Two... One set up at home for practice and one packed for load up when a gig pops up unexpectedly.... If one cannot afford two complete sets of cymbals, they are easy to swap back and forth.

senecaty

Reaction score
Like many others have already said, if you gig or rehearse or do anything that requires moving kits...having more than one is a great idea! Cymbals and snares can be easily moved around, but I love knowing I don’t need to move a full kit.

If it’s any help, I started to justify keeping more than one by having different sizes. So, I originally kept 3 kits, each with a different sized BD; an 18”, 20” and 22”. That lineup was eventually expanded to include an e-kit and now a 24” as well. Soooooo...5 kits.

But despite with the Mrs says, they each serve a different purpose! Different gigs, venues, rehearsals, travel, practice...there’s something for every situation and minimal exertion needed to get moving.

kzac

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have more than two kits myself. The beauty of having more than one kit is that one can mix things up to acquire the sound they need for the venue they are servicing. The only problems with having multiple kits is the real-estate necessary to store them. and interchangeability of the hardware.
All my stuff is Yamaha so I have the second part of that equation solved.
I have a Katche kit if I really need to get small in size. I also have much larger kits which include drums from the YD 7000 series, the Recording custom series and the more recent rydeen series. I virtually have a smorgasbord of drum sounds available at my disposal of which I can mix and match to my own desire. I select drums based on how they will sound relative to a specific music venue, regardless of the drum finish. And yes I support maintaining a variation of drums, regardless of weather they are complete kits or the finish matches.

Hazim

Reaction score
If you do not really need 2 kits, get rid of the AQ2. I mean Sonor make great drums, but it is not the AQ2. You will be way more happy with Matt Nolan cymbal.
My 2 cents...

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I have 2 kits with some extra sizes to swap out, and I'm glad I do.
I also have the space for all of it without needing/paying for extra storage which makes a difference too.

I had 3 kits, but one always just ended staying on the shelf, so I'm not unhappy I sold the 3rd a few years ago.
I'm actually more surprised that I don't miss having it.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I like at least a couple of kits in different sizes at all times. 20-12-14 and 22-13-16 with different tunings. One tuned higher and the other low, fat and loose.

sternerp

Reaction score
I have my 1968 Ludwig Hollywood permanently set up in my rehearsal room. My 1964 Rogers Swingtime comes out occasionally just for fun. For gigs, my Gretsch New Classic bop kit is always in its bags, and a set of lightweight hardware is in a rolling hard case. I can load my car for a gig in 5 minutes.

A46A8629-32DC-4855-9DF9-4DCEE961CA49.jpeg