Worth having 2 kits ?

Browny

Reaction score
I just picked up a beater kit, it'll live in bags so the radio kings don't have to come to rehearsals/gigs

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I keep minimal two kits around one for gigging and one for at home. I play two nights a weekend sometime three and slot of times two a day shows on Saturday. And I’d sure hate tearing down everything just to gig so I keep one home. Right now I have 4. One in flight cases for gigs two at home and one at practice spot for the band.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Ideally I'd have two kits. I have like five, but ideally I'd have two. I was down to one for a while. Not sure what happened.

Keep the "good" one set up at home and keep the "bad" one stacked up and ready to go whenever you want, and not have to worry about it sitting in the car all day/night if you don't have time to pick it up after work or something.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have what you could consider 2 Fibes Austin Jasper kits, with a few extra pieces, all in their "Mardis Gras." kit 1 is 18x20, 14x14, 9x12, 8x10. Kit 2 is 14x18, 8x12, 14x14. Also have a Corder 16x16 Jasper shell (soon to be finished in same color) and a Austin Jasper 12x20 kick. 5 x 14 and 6 x 14 Austin Jasper matching snares, and I keep a '61 Supraphonic and a Gretsch '71 wood shell 4108 close by. This allows me to keep a kit set up at home for recording/shedding, and many options for gigging a 4 piece up to a larger kit (not that I do much of that.) Primarily at home learning Jazz standards...
Pics ???

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly thought this was a joke thread when I first saw it. On DFO? Of course you need (at least) two sets!

Andrew801

Reaction score
Ideally I'd have two kits. I have like five, but ideally I'd have two. I was down to one for a while. Not sure what happened.

Keep the "good" one set up at home and keep the "bad" one stacked up and ready to go whenever you want, and not have to worry about it sitting in the car all day/night if you don't have time to pick it up after work or something.
Do most of you that have two kits (1 home kit set up for practice, recording etc...and 1 bagged up and ready to go for a gig) only have a second set of shells in the bagged up kit and bring your home kit hardware for the gig (snare, snare stand, cymbal stands, cymbals, high hat, kick pedal(s), throne) or do you have bagged up hardware duplicates too? Thanks.

Last edited:

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Do most of you that have two kits (1 home kit set up for practice, recording etc...and 1 bagged up and ready to go for a gig) only have a second set of shells in the bagged up kit and bring your home kit hardware for the gig (snare, snare stand, cymbal stands, cymbals, high hat, kick pedal(s), throne) or do you have bagged up hardware duplicates too? Thanks.
I eventually got to where I have two complete, separate sets. The only thing that's shared is the stick bag.
Currently working on a third completely independent kit, but with mesh heads and plastic cymbals.

Andrew801

Reaction score
I eventually got to where I have two complete, separate sets. The only thing that's shared is the stick bag.
Currently working on a third completely independent kit, but with mesh heads and plastic cymbals.
Thanks Michaelocalypse. Makes sense. Start with one complete kit and as the gigging, need to transport it starts, let the frequency, PITA factor and available funds dictate how much to break down each time. First few times I am sure I will be breaking it all down.

Bluenote

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering about two vs one right now, myself, but I’m not gigging so that’s part of the reason why. Sounds like you’ll be much busier.

But I would also love a N&C Horizon kit, “the final kit!” <_< but they really co$t, so I’d have to move my Gretsch and ‘50s Sling kit to make it happen with practicality.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got 6 kits (with two of them being shell banks), but only 4 complete sets of hardware: studio hardware (Yamaha 700 series, stays permanently setup), good gig hardware (Gibraltar flat-base), beater gig hardware (mix and match), and ultra light (DW ultralight kit). Cymbals and snares all stay in my studio and are pulled for gigs as needed.

Andrew801

Reaction score
I've got 6 kits (with two of them being shell banks), but only 4 complete sets of hardware: studio hardware (Yamaha 700 series, stays permanently setup), good gig hardware (Gibraltar flat-base), beater gig hardware (mix and match), and ultra light (DW ultralight kit). Cymbals and snares all stay in my studio and are pulled for gigs as needed.
Thanks bpaluzzi for the specifics. Really helpful and makes sense. Pull the snare and cymbals from the home/studio kit and have shells and remaining hardware bagged and ready to go. I would probably pull the throne too for consistency if I end up with a nice one like the Tama ergo rider with backrest. BTW, without derailing this thread too much, what's the why of flat base vs tripod base? More stability?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BTW, without derailing this thread too much, what's the why of flat base vs tripod base? More stability?
Weight savings. I'm not setting up a bunch of multiclamps / arms off the stands, generally just one cymbal per stand, so I go for the lightest stands I can find that are still stable. That used to be the 700 series Yamaha, but the recent availability of modern flat-based have become even lighter. The DW Ultralight pushes it to the max, but they're occasionally too light (anything outdoors w/ wind, heavy snare drums, really hard bashing on heavy crashes)

Andrew801

Reaction score
Weight savings. I'm not setting up a bunch of multiclamps / arms off the stands, generally just one cymbal per stand, so I go for the lightest stands I can find that are still stable. That used to be the 700 series Yamaha, but the recent availability of modern flat-based have become even lighter. The DW Ultralight pushes it to the max, but they're occasionally too light (anything outdoors w/ wind, heavy snare drums, really hard bashing on heavy crashes)
Got it. Thanks for the explanation. I am about to pull the trigger on my first kit since my teenage years and only have sticks and a practice pad at this point. I hope to be gigging with a friend occasionally somewhere into the summer as well as recording at home. One of the venues my friend plays at is on an outdoor deck by the bay here in Florida and its not called Gulf Breeze for nothing! Since I am fit I will go for double braced and change it up if it becomes a problem. I just joined this forum and really appreciate the help. I look forward to sharing when I am set up and in the groove a bit.

Jml

Reaction score
You can go single braced with hardware - save your back and still be heavy enough for any outdoor weather. The Yamaha 700 series and Tama Stagemaster fits the bill.

digovii

Reaction score
I have a couple. Really just comes down to what inspires me to play.

Andrew801

Reaction score
You can go single braced with hardware - save your back and still be heavy enough for any outdoor weather. The Yamaha 700 series and Tama Stagemaster fits the bill.
Thanks for the recommendations JML. So the double braced really only comes into play for increased load from multiclamps and hanging toms etc off of the stand? I just checked the weights of Yamaha boom stands on Amazon. According to them, Yamaha double braced CS-865 = 10.93 lbs vs Yamaha single braced CS-755 2.2lbs. Adds up when toting!

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations JML. So the double braced really only comes into play for increased load from multiclamps and hanging toms etc off of the stand?
I've never needed double-braced hardware ever. Even when I use multiple toms on stands, with lots of clamps, etc, I've always used single-braced traditional (i.e. not flat-based) stands. The only double braced stand I have is a Sonor double-tom stand, and that's just because it's the only way those stands came back in the 80s. If I could find something that worked + was single braced, I'd switch it in a heart beat.

Jml

Reaction score
I've never needed double-braced hardware ever. Even when I use multiple toms on stands, with lots of clamps, etc, I've always used single-braced traditional (i.e. not flat-based) stands. The only double braced stand I have is a Sonor double-tom stand, and that's just because it's the only way those stands came back in the 80s. If I could find something that worked + was single braced, I'd switch it in a heart beat.
What he said. Double braced isn’t necessary for anything nowadays.