Would a twisted badge on a brand new tom bother you?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got the 13" yesterday from Ludwig and I was looking it over last night and noticed that the badge was installed twisted slightly clockwise. It is a new drum that was ordered from Ludwig. QC card shows that it was audited by someone at Ludwig 06/23. I guess they missed it! I took the heads off and looked at everything else. It's flawless including the bearing edges. Only thing is that darn badge! From far away, it's not noticeable but if you look straight at it, you can see it's twisted to one side. In the end, I'm not looking for resale or anything so I guess it's something to ignore. It's gonna just be hung and played and I'll never see it. It is a bit upsetting though to pay $500 for this drum and see a minor flaw like that. Are these badges glued at all or is it just held on there with that ring that's in the vent hole?
Also, how would you feel about it? (would you get it fixed, return it, ask for a some type of credit, ignore it, etc...)
It would be interesting to hear your opinions!
You can clearly see it in the picture:
Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 3.54.21 PM.png

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Even if you don`t see it you`ll have it in your mind. I wouldn`t accept it on a $500 drum.
OK, that's one opinion and you are totally correct! Lets see what the others say.

Darn, I forgot to upload the picture on the initial post!

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
The badges have an adhesive backing. If they didn't, the auditor could have tweaked the alignment. I also got a new Ludwig set last year and it too has a crooked badge on one of the toms and yes, it bugs me. My reasoning for not sending it back is a bit defeatist - the set is otherwise perfect and I fear the replacement drum would be worse. Feels a bit absurd, but there it is.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
The badges have an adhesive backing. If they didn't, the auditor could have tweaked the alignment. I also got a new Ludwig set last year and it too has a crooked badge on one of the toms and yes, it bugs me. My reasoning for not sending it back is a bit defeatist - the set is otherwise perfect and I fear the replacement drum would be worse. Feels a bit absurd, but there it is.
I feel the same way. I waited almost 2 months to get the thing built to then have to send it back again? and wait for another one to get built? Ugghh! No way!
Maybe I'll try to see if they give me some sort of credit or something. If not, it's just gonna stay that way I think. It's incredible though that my other pieces were also bought new and they are all perfect. This is the first one with any issue. So 1 out of 9 I guess ain't bad and it's a minor detail.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've written an email to Soundpure (with a picture) which was the Ludwig dealer that I bought it from. I told them that if they could get a resolution from Ludwig, it would be great. But that if the resolution has to come from them (Soundpure) and it affects their bottom line, forget about it and I'll accept the tom as is and just call it a day. It is what it is!
Lets see what they say!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I was going to suggest to just try rotating it by hand as plenty of the badges on my vintage drums can be turned. I didn't realize these badges have an adhesive.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For that price I would expect near perfection, but I have seen this with other Ludwig drums on occasion. Since the only issue is the badge and everything else is flawless, I wouldn't press the issue. If you order a replacement and have to wait a few weeks, you may end up with a slightly different batch of Oyster Black Pearl wrap. I'd much rather have a slightly crooked badge than a wrap that is a bit off. Maybe this tom should've been relegated to Ludwig's B-stock inventory.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Guys, the first thing I did was try to turn it. That's why I asked initially if they are glued. That thing is cemented on there!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
no one will see it.
Ever.

:D

has nothing to do with drums and music at all
Dammit, Joe I had a smart answer for your first post and you beat me by removing it, Lol!!
But to answer your first thought, no I don't have 2 fingers, I have 10!

Reactions: JDA

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
If you decide to keep it you can probably heat it up with a hair dryer and get it loose enough to move it... as long as it doesn't loosen the wrap any though. I'd probably leave it though if I kept it. It does and would bug me. We pay big money for drums and they should be perfect, stuff does get missed though

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My protractor on your picture says it is 6 degrees out. If you tilt your tom by 6 degrees, the badge will be upright.
Really, wouldn't bother me, I'd be glad to just play it.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That sucks, I would also be weary of the damage that could be done straightening it.
I think at a minimum you let Ludwig know of the situation. Maybe they will tighten up their QC process.

Just think of it as preinstalled MoJo, smile :icon_e_biggrin:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
For that price I would expect near perfection, but I have seen this with other Ludwig drums on occasion. Since the only issue is the badge and everything else is flawless, I wouldn't press the issue. If you order a replacement and have to wait a few weeks, you may end up with a slightly different batch of Oyster Black Pearl wrap. I'd much rather have a slightly crooked badge than a wrap that is a bit off. Maybe this tom should've been relegated to Ludwig's B-stock inventory.
I agree! It's all perfect though with the exception of the badge. No need for a B-stock! All the auditor had to do was straighten out that badge. It was audited on a Tuesday so who knows, they might have still been getting over the weekend. My wraps aren't 100% anyways, I had posted that previously. My 4 piece came as a set from Ludwig, the 8 & 14 from Sweetwater and the 13 from Soundpure. So 4 different build dates. The 14 looks a tad off of the others and this 13 looks like a perfect match to the 14. And they will be next to each other so it's perfect, Lol!!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
My protractor on your picture says it is 6 degrees out. If you tilt your tom by 6 degrees, the badge will be upright.
Glad to hear that opinion! That's what's gonna end up happening anyways. It will be played!
Either way, I'll take a straight picture tonight at home so you guys can see it better. That's the only pic I had and I was posting from work.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
OK, that's one opinion and you are totally correct! Lets see what the others say.

Darn, I forgot to upload the picture on the initial post!
If the drum sounds good and is otherwise flawless, it's so minor, it's nothing to be concerned about. How are you gonna feel when the hoop of your snare drum digs a nice groove into the wrap of one of your toms?

BTW, have you tried straightening it by hand, or with a pair of needle nose pliars?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
That sucks, I would also be weary of the damage that could be done straightening it.
I think at a minimum you let Ludwig know of the situation. Maybe they will tighten up their QC process.

Just think of it as preinstalled MoJo, smile :icon_e_biggrin:
Yep! Good way to look at it. I've written them already and I'll see what they say. Maybe they'll send me a free pen or something, Lol!