Would a twisted badge on a brand new tom bother you?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'll see what they say and take it from there. Hopefully they respond tomorrow.
Then you'll go thru the Wrap Matching again... keep us posted

Best entertainment on the board
well one of the best..

like I said the whole situation I don't recall existing 20/30 years ago..
people bought drums and took em out that weekend

todays' a Different day
Sorry to make fun but I want to toughen you up.
Drums.
It's a manly business. It's a personal thing. Personal journey. We don't (didn't)...air every little thing out to get "feedback" to an audience of 100's.....

Feedback used to be a thing Jimi Hendrix and Ritchie Blackmore got....
(wait can you say any of this anymore?? nevermind!!

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would lay some damp washcloths around it to protect the wrap from the heat and heat it with a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive enough to turn it.

Life's too short to worry about such minor things. Reminds my of my dad who has bad OCD/perfectionism. He once bought a Disney Princess scooter for my three year old daughter. He told me he bought three of them, took them home and opened all of the boxes and put all of the best parts in one box. The went back to the store and returned the other two. The first thing that happened when my daughter rode it was she fell over on it and put a big scratch down the side. Stuff like that has taught me not to sweat the little stuff. Nothing, and I mean nothing is perfect.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Then you'll go thru the Wrap Matching again... keep us posted

Best entertainment on the board
well one of the best..

like I said the whole situation I don't recall existing 20/30 years ago..
people bought drums and took em out that weekend

todays' a Different day
Sorry to make fun but I want to toughen you up.
Drums.
It's a manly business. It's a personal thing. Personal journey. We don't (didn't)...air every little thing out to get "feedback" to an audience of 100's.....

Feedback used to be a thing Jimi Hendrix and Ritchie Blackmore got....
(wait can you say any of this anymore?? nevermind!!
It's all good. I'm busting your chops too!

Reactions: JDA

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would lay some damp washcloths around it to protect the wrap from the heat and heat it with a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive enough to turn it.

Life's too short to worry about such minor things. Reminds my of my dad who has bad OCD/perfectionism. He once bought a Disney Princess scooter for my three year old daughter. He told me he bought three of them, took them home and opened all of the boxes and put all of the best parts in one box. The went back to the store and returned the other two. The first thing that happened when my daughter rode it was she fell over on it and put a big scratch down the side. Stuff like that has taught me not to sweat the little stuff. Nothing, and I mean nothing is perfect.
Your right! But notice that my original post was asking what you guys would do. I just wanted opinions. I don't sweat stuff like this. I said, if it stays that way, it is what it is. More important stuff in life to worry about, really. I appreciate the advice though.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Is that 100% confirmed the badge was glued..

Did you ask that question (double check) with a Ludwig sales Rep?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The badges have an adhesive backing. If they didn't, the auditor could have tweaked the alignment. I also got a new Ludwig set last year and it too has a crooked badge on one of the toms and yes, it bugs me. My reasoning for not sending it back is a bit defeatist - the set is otherwise perfect and I fear the replacement drum would be worse. Feels a bit absurd, but there it is.
Well that confirms it I trust Floyd.... sheeet

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is that 100% confirmed the badge was glued..

Did you ask that question (double check) with a Ludwig sales Rep?
No, I didn't ask. It's either glued with some mega industrial stuff or that ring in the venthole holds it in and was installed at 20,000 psi. Because the damn thing won't move.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here's the deal if nothing works out....pound on (that drum) for five years vibrate that sucker. From behind Brother all that matters is how it sounds....GL

edit: Could as mentioned, put a hairdryer at a distance on it for 5 minutes..then talk it down ; )

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's the deal if nothing works out....pound on (that drum) for five years vibrate that sucker. From behind Brother all that matters is how it sounds....GL

edit: Could as mentioned, put a hairdryer at a distance on it for 5 minutes..then talk it down ; )
I'm gonna live with it. No big deal! I wrote Ludwig, let's see what they say. Like I said, if nothing happens, it stays as is.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
In project management this is known as "the final 5%". This part of a project is where the customer gets their overall impression of the outcome and also where OH&S lives. This can translate to - mechanic does an incredible job; but leaves a soda can in the car. Or - the factory produces great quality but every now and then someone loses a limb. Australia is pretty bad at the final 5%. We say "she'll be right mate!". USA can do it when they want. Japan built their nation back after the war by pursuing it. China generally sees it as a tiresome part of business so the manufacturer must enforce it rigorously.

The OP posed a question and like most musicians, a small imperfection on an otherwise fine instrument would not bother me too much. But it says something sad about a company that cannot put their own name on their product correctly. And the fact that we will live with this allows it to go on. When I was shopping for a new kit I admired the USA customs but would not buy a new kit, for reasons of "the final 5%". I got a Sakae and it's freakishly perfect. Does this make it a better instrument? Maybe. Maybe not. But I do everything for the final 5% and it makes me happy.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
In project management this is known as "the final 5%". This part of a project is where the customer gets their overall impression of the outcome and also where OH&S lives. This can translate to - mechanic does an incredible job; but leaves a soda can in the car. Or - the factory produces great quality but every now and then someone loses a limb. Australia is pretty bad at the final 5%. We say "she'll be right mate!". USA can do it when they want. Japan built their nation back after the war by pursuing it. China generally sees it as a tiresome part of business so the manufacturer must enforce it rigorously.

The OP posed a question and like most musicians, a small imperfection on an otherwise fine instrument would not bother me too much. But it says something sad about a company that cannot put their own name on their product correctly. And the fact that we will live with this allows it to go on. When I was shopping for a new kit I admired the USA customs but would not buy a new kit, for reasons of "the final 5%". I got a Sakae and it's freakishly perfect. Does this make it a better instrument? Maybe. Maybe not. But I do everything for the final 5% and it makes me happy.
Very cool analysis, thank you for that! I'm sure those Sakaes are perfect. Those are fantastic drums! I think the Ludwig & Gretsch love carries a certain mojo and unique sound quality. And that sound quality really can't be duplicated. I don't know if it's the handcrafting part or the materials used or God knows what, but darn they sound amazing! That alone keeps us buying them and we simply deal with that ocassional lack of 5% that you mention. I can honestly say that it's the only Ludwig drum I have with an issue. (and I won't even call it an issue, it's just a badge that can be put back in place) All my other drums in the kit + my snares are 100%. So I forgive them for that little error. And of course, will continue buying from them, Lol!!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm gonna live with it. No big deal! I wrote Ludwig, let's see what they say. Like I said, if nothing happens, it stays as is.
It's good that you wrote to Ludwig. They should be able to a badge on squarely, PERIOD. If the worker can't do this consistently without errors, then they should use an engineering measure to prevent the error like using a simple jig (or a laser grid projection). Without feedback Ludwig (and their employees) can't improve their performance and their products will suffer.

A few years ago I wanted to purchase a Ludwig Anniversary snare in Exotic Birdseye Maple, but I didn't want the brass hardware that was offered so I had to order one with chrome hardware.
The drum shows up with the chrome hardware alright, (unfortunately for me it didn't have one of those highly figured "Steinway" veneers, just seemed like a garden variety BEM veneer), but the kicker was the badge. It was supposed to come with that oval 20's repro, but it had a Blue/Olive badge instead. Here's a catalog shot of the badge and the description that states it's standard on the exotic finish.

Ludwig_badge_20s_Repro.JPG

So I made the call and aired my grievance, but ended up keeping it because the B/O badge had a similar serial number to my Coliseum snare (last four numbers were the same).

But I feel your pain. There are several steps to getting the badge on and of all the more technical things on the drum, you would think this is one of the easier things to get right.
They pick a badge, tape it on, I'm sure they must look at it before they add the compression grommet to secure it???

Ludwig_Badge_Install.jpg

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's good that you wrote to Ludwig. They should be able to a badge on squarely, PERIOD. If the worker can't do this consistently without errors, then they should use an engineering measure to prevent the error like using a simple jig (or a laser grid projection). Without feedback Ludwig (and their employees) can't improve their performance and their products will suffer.

A few years ago I wanted to purchase a Ludwig Anniversary snare in Exotic Birdseye Maple, but I didn't want the brass hardware that was offered so I had to order one with chrome hardware.
The drum shows up with the chrome hardware alright, (unfortunately for me it didn't have one of those highly figured "Steinway" veneers, just seemed like a garden variety BEM veneer), but the kicker was the badge. It was supposed to come with that oval 20's repro, but it had a Blue/Olive badge instead. Here's a catalog shot of the badge and the description same it cam standard on the exotic finish.

View attachment 448929

So I made the call and aired my grievance, but ended up keeping it because the B/O badge had a similar serial number to my Coliseum snare (last four numbers were the same).

But I feel your pain. There are several steps to getting the badge on and of all the more technical things on the drum, you would think this is one of the easier things to get right.
They pick a badge, tape it on, I'm sure they must look at it before they add the compression grommet to secure it???

View attachment 448932
I'm sure they do look at it. I guess mine was looked at while the person had their head tilted, Lol! Cool pictures!
The crazy thing is the audit card that Ludwig includes with the person signing off the final QC. How it got past them, who knows! The badge is something external that's very obvious especially to a trained eye doing QC checks.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm sure they do look at it. I guess mine was looked at while the person had their head tilted, Lol! Cool pictures!
The crazy thing is the audit card that Ludwig includes with the person signing off the final QC. How it got past them, who knows! The badge is something external that's very obvious especially to a trained eye doing QC checks.
No sign of glue Backing there....(try and keep up..