Would a twisted badge on a brand new tom bother you?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The badges have an adhesive backing. If they didn't, the auditor could have tweaked the alignment. I also got a new Ludwig set last year and it too has a crooked badge on one of the toms and yes, it bugs me. My reasoning for not sending it back is a bit defeatist - the set is otherwise perfect and I fear the replacement drum would be worse. Feels a bit absurd, but there it is.
Glue wasn't mentioned.
Yeah That was my Point...in a couple posts. Post 58 no glue/stick/ mentioned.
I think some are skipping over the post that says they are glued.
You may get a ton of incoming saying "just twist it w/ your fingers"
Would maybe have been a more succinct thread title " Are these Badges Glued?"
The badges have an adhesive backing. If they didn't, the auditor could have tweaked the alignment. I also got a new Ludwig set last year and it too has a crooked badge on one of the toms and yes, it bugs me. My reasoning for not sending it back is a bit defeatist - the set is otherwise perfect and I fear the replacement drum would be worse. Feels a bit absurd, but there it is.
It's good that you wrote to Ludwig. They should be able to a badge on squarely, PERIOD. If the worker can't do this consistently without errors, then they should use an engineering measure to prevent the error like using a simple jig (or a laser grid projection). Without feedback Ludwig (and their employees) can't improve their performance and their products will suffer.

A few years ago I wanted to purchase a Ludwig Anniversary snare in Exotic Birdseye Maple, but I didn't want the brass hardware that was offered so I had to order one with chrome hardware.
The drum shows up with the chrome hardware alright, (unfortunately for me it didn't have one of those highly figured "Steinway" veneers, just seemed like a garden variety BEM veneer), but the kicker was the badge. It was supposed to come with that oval 20's repro, but it had a Blue/Olive badge instead. Here's a catalog shot of the badge and the description that states it's standard on the exotic finish.

View attachment 448929

So I made the call and aired my grievance, but ended up keeping it because the B/O badge had a similar serial number to my Coliseum snare (last four numbers were the same).

But I feel your pain. There are several steps to getting the badge on and of all the more technical things on the drum, you would think this is one of the easier things to get right.
They pick a badge, tape it on, I'm sure they must look at it before they add the compression grommet to secure it???

View attachment 448932

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But it says something sad about a company that cannot put their own name on their product correctly. And the fact that we will live with this allows it to go on.
Unfair and harsh to judge an entire company (and a "we society') by a worker who one day was hungover and put the badge on 6 degrees out, and it missed on inspection because that inspector was hungover too. Think of all the other straight badges produced that day, week, year, decade......

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It didn't pass me by. I just didn't have an image that actually shows a worker peeling the backing off or applying adhesive to a badge.
But I had an image of the badge being selected, taped in placed while the grommet is compressed, so that's what got mentioned.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It didn't pass me by. I just didn't have an image that actually shows a worker peeling the backing off or applying adhesive to a badge.
But I had an image of the badge being selected, taped in placed while the grommet is compressed, so that's what got mentioned.
do you believe the badges are glued? I'm asking..for a friend ;

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would have a maybe more succinct title " Are these Badges Glued?"
Got it! You had quoted one paragraph only. I see now. I've kept Floyd's post in mind since he wrote it. And of course the first thing I did before I even started this thread was to try twisting it which is impossible.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Watch 1:16:00, no mention or sight of any glue! At least in the video it seems that the guy just lines it up, holds it with tape and then puts it through the press:

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got a Sakae and it's freakishly perfect.
I forgot to mention since I see you like Sakae. I know your in Australia but here in the US, Drum center of Portsmouth has a bunch of left over brand new Sakae stuff. They've got bass drums, toms, snares etc.. And they have them at discounted prices since I'm sure they are trying to move out that inventory.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's one to make you laugh Joe. You'll especially love the ending:

Reactions: JDA

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Standard issue on Gretsch USA Customs when they had the square and stop sign badges. I kinda liked it. Smart move to go back to round badges :cool:

Regarding your drum; personally it wouldn’t bother me.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seriously though, yeah I gotta admit for that kinda money it’d bug me.

Tell you what, when this kind of stuff happens, I always figure it’s the Lord’s way of keeping me balanced, letting me enjoy my stuff, but without being able to fall in love with it TOO hard.
Like when my new Harley fell over the same day I got it delivered to my house, and the tank got dented. I know what you mean.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's interesting the amount of attention the topic of "badges" gets on this forum. Straight vs. crooked, classy vs. ugly, keystone vs. B/O, centered vs.non-centered on the shell, bass drum badge facing the drummer vs. facing the audience.................................

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really.
Your badge is crooked???
Your an idiot.
What a curious statement, especially coming from a guy who wrote this just a few short weeks ago: "Respect, decorum and just simple manners have gone the way of the dodo."

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Leave it be - No hairdryer-----you'll ruin it.... It's an " Artist's mark" Done intentionally to you for you

To learn a lesson

LTFU
lighten the...

ha! :d
lighten the floortom up?