Would a twisted badge on a brand new tom bother you?

jeffintampa

Reaction score
Just got the 13" yesterday from Ludwig and I was looking it over last night and noticed that the badge was installed twisted slightly clockwise. It is a new drum that was ordered from Ludwig. QC card shows that it was audited by someone at Ludwig 06/23. I guess they missed it! I took the heads off and looked at everything else. It's flawless including the bearing edges. Only thing is that darn badge! From far away, it's not noticeable but if you look straight at it, you can see it's twisted to one side. In the end, I'm not looking for resale or anything so I guess it's something to ignore. It's gonna just be hung and played and I'll never see it. It is a bit upsetting though to pay $500 for this drum and see a minor flaw like that. Are these badges glued at all or is it just held on there with that ring that's in the vent hole?
Also, how would you feel about it? (would you get it fixed, return it, ask for a some type of credit, ignore it, etc...)
It would be interesting to hear your opinions!
You can clearly see it in the picture:
View attachment 448844
That's a 13? With mini lugs? OK, for sale, rare Ludwig tom with super rare twisted badge!
Just got the 13" yesterday from Ludwig and I was looking it over last night and noticed that the badge was installed twisted slightly clockwise. It is a new drum that was ordered from Ludwig. QC card shows that it was audited by someone at Ludwig 06/23. I guess they missed it! I took the heads off and looked at everything else. It's flawless including the bearing edges. Only thing is that darn badge! From far away, it's not noticeable but if you look straight at it, you can see it's twisted to one side. In the end, I'm not looking for resale or anything so I guess it's something to ignore. It's gonna just be hung and played and I'll never see it. It is a bit upsetting though to pay $500 for this drum and see a minor flaw like that. Are these badges glued at all or is it just held on there with that ring that's in the vent hole?
Also, how would you feel about it? (would you get it fixed, return it, ask for a some type of credit, ignore it, etc...)
View attachment 448844

Slingwig26

Reaction score
View attachment 448844
On a brand new drum? YES.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is the little things that separate the truly high quality items from the more than adequate or OK stuff. When you pay top dollar for a top tier item you expect every detail to have been thoroughly vetted. That's what you pay big bucks for... detail!!!
Now whether or not a Ludwig tom is a "luxury" item may be up for debate.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the little things that separate the truly high quality items from the more than adequate or OK stuff. When you pay top dollar for a top tier item you expect every detail to have been thoroughly vetted. That's what you pay big bucks for... detail!!!
Now whether or not a Ludwig tom is a "luxury" item may be up for debate.
I wouldn't call it "luxury" but considering the price plus the fact that it's partially handcrafted & made in the USA, yes the high expectations of it being perfect come with it.

Fess

Reaction score
Possible responses from Ludwig:

The badge is fine, the wrap causes an optical illusion.
Have a few drinks, it will straighten right out.
The badge is fine, the drum is crooked.
It was built on a Monday, be thankful you got the right number of lugs.
The drum is handmade by an artist. That’s his signature.
In today’s hyper-political environment, all our badges are either left-leaning or right-leaning.
We’re proud of our drums here at Ludwig, but seriously, if you want perfection.....buy a Tama.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Every product we buy SHOULD be perfect out the door, but as one moves down the price hierarchy on a given product I guess one would hope the first things to go would be the little details like perfect cosmetics and small non functional features. NOT bearing edges, hardware, finish and parallelism etc. There are many brands and models of 13" toms that cost $1K and above. Now on a drum like that I'd be raising hell!!!

MidiFinger

Reaction score
When you pay $500+ for something, you expect it to be right... but nothing ever is, ever. You cannot find good help today, and people are assholes. At least your drum has unique character. I bet it sounds great.

Howstamychi

Reaction score
I had a similar experience, one thing that seemed off on a mint kit. Not necessarily the manufacturer’s fault. Just a noticeable (to me) change in the pattern of the pearl wrap at the seam. It’s standard the pattern changes, just to my eye it looked abrupt. I’ve just decided to love it as is. Now I don’t really see it anymore it just stuck out when I held the tom in my hand and rotated it at the seam for a looooong time. If your kit is otherwise amazing see if you can let it go. And after you play it for a while you probably will forget about it completely. And no one else will ever notice. But I definitely know the feeling at first. The more you look the worse it seems to get.

Playing devil’s advocate I ordered a brand new Ludwig 13” from the factory and they installed one of those Egyptian Pyramid 80’s modular mounts. They were very quick to take a return, pay for the shipping, and get me a brand new one minus the drainage pipe hole in the shell with the correct L arm mount. If you nicely state your dissatisfaction with a brand new factory drum you expected to be perfect cosmetically since it’s 2020 and they are one of the greatest and most trusted drum companies in the world, and you’d like to be singing their praise when fellow drummers admire your kit, they may well exchange it. I was allowed to keep my tom and even play it until the new one arrived. I was kind of hoping they would let me keep both.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Taking this thread one step further, the kit you ordered (directly from Ludwig) was advertised as having a bass drum drilled for a double-tom mount, which is what you really wanted and are now having to find a workaround for. Since it arrived undrilled, shouldn't Ludwig take responsibility for providing you with a drilled bass drum that you were expecting based on the Reverb listing? To me, this is more of an issue than the slightly crooked badge.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking this thread one step further, the kit you ordered (directly from Ludwig) was advertised as having a bass drum drilled for a double-tom mount, which is what you really wanted and are now having to find a workaround for. Since it arrived undrilled, shouldn't Ludwig take responsibility for providing you with a drilled bass drum that you were expecting based on the Reverb listing? To me, this is more of an issue than the slightly crooked badge.
Yes but I never complained about that since I saw the virgin bass mistake as a great novel idea, Lol! I think at this point it's to late to complain so I'm left to find the workaround. And about the crooked badge, I haven't written anything about it since last week. It's not really a huge deal. Just waiting for Ludwig's response on that issue.

Last edited:

cobaltspike

Reaction score
Have Ludwig send you a new badge and vent if it bugs you and you can get the tool for the vent pretty cheap or take it to a drum shop and have them do it, maybe the place you bought it from. In the 70's the blue/olive badges were almost always crooked and always hated that. For what they charge they should have someone on the assembly line that gives a mess about their workmanship!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have Ludwig send you a new badge and vent if it bugs you and you can get the tool for the vent pretty cheap or take it to a drum shop and have them do it, maybe the place you bought it from. In the 70's the blue/olive badges were almost always crooked and always hated that. For what they charge they should have someone on the assembly line that gives a sheeet about their workmanship!
They have not sent anything. I just wrote them last week and waiting for a response. I'd rather if anything just get some sort of credit. Like $50 or whatever they determine is fair. Kind of like if I had bought a B stock drum. I'd be ok with that! We'll see what they say and/or do!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me skeptical but no one is going to exchange Cash...(it's already "in the till" spent/invested/..
If it was Tesla they'd send a crew out to your house and replace the badge on the spot but cash back? very very skeptical...
It's not a Mafia Organization.. ; ) Or Las Vegas Craps table
If they - Ludwig Co.- gave you cash back they'd have to give every Tom Dick and Harry cash back..cash refunds.

Now a Dealer -independent- may give you cash back- but there too- it's no guarantee a customer wouldn't keep coming back and back asking for cash for every flaw real or imagined. I'll be shocked,
Giving cash back on a new item is like extortion. Instead they will continue to repair it..
I'd be surprised if they put a "dollar figure" on; a dealer might...but Ludwig Company? hmm doubt
and even there the dealer is taking a risk.
A private sale ....of a used item.. is different)

New item: warranty work; under warranty; warranty work..

Last edited:

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would make me crazy but then I get crazy if all the window shades are not pulled down to the same level :)

but yes, I’ve had a similar teeny glitch on other drums I’ve ordered new, not just Ludwig, and I asked for an exchange. One was a lug that was maybe optioned five degrees, but once you’ve seen it you know it forever. While it may take a few more weeks I’m gonna have to live with it forever. And those things make me crazy regardless of the price. Those noting it does not affect the sound and the rest is perfect, I admire their ability to avoid defaulting to OCD like I do, truly.

BTW, a reputable scion of a famous drum company told me a few years back that once the big American drum companies were sold to corporates despite some improvements, the quality control never came back. And yes he owned up to those same American companies in the 80s before they sold were not up to snuff either. couple of years ago I was in a NY shop and there was a brand new Ludwig kit on the floor, and each Tom had seam lift.

anyway seems to be what you can live with. If every time you look at it you think “that damn badge” then I’d return it.

Drums11

Reaction score
I’ve re-wrapped a ton of Ludwigs, new and old. The badge are held by clear adhesive similar to carpet tape. It is not a glue. Surround the badge with masking or painters tape to protect the wrap. Then get some strong fishing line. Work your way under one end of the badge with a seesaw motion. Once you get about halfway up, you should be able to move the badge. You can press down on the badge and believe me, even after that, the badge isn’t gonna go anywhere unless you physically mess with it.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me skeptical but no one is going to exchange Cash...(it's already "in the till" spent/invested/..
If it was Tesla they'd send a crew out to your house and replace the badge on the spot but cash back? very very skeptical...
It's not a Mafia Organization.. ; ) Or Las Vegas Craps table
If they - Ludwig Co.- gave you cash back they'd have to give every Tom Dick and Harry cash back..cash refunds.

Now a Dealer -independent- may give you cash back- but there too- it's no guarantee a customer wouldn't keep coming back and back asking for cash for every flaw real or imagined. I'll be shocked,
Giving cash back on a new item is like extortion. Instead they will continue to repair it..
I'd be surprised if they put a "dollar figure" on; a dealer might...but Ludwig Company? hmm doubt
and even there the dealer is taking a risk.
A private sale ....of a used item.. is different)

New item: warranty work; under warranty; warranty work..
Don't be surprised! Costs them more to ship it back and forth to fix than to pay say $50. They know this! We'll see what happens. And I made it very clear to the dealer that if they decided to pay me something, I wouldn't accept it. It's not the dealers fault and I'm not gonna take from them something that's not mine. I'm not gonna screw them out of some money when they make a living off of our business. If it comes from Ludwig, that's a different story since they built the drum. Either way, I'm not sending it back. If they don't have a resolution, it stays as is and that will be that. No biggie!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be surprised!
New Car Dealership for 40 years; warranty claim
What it-->
Costs them
is not your concern..

Ludwig is going to send the dealer a New badge with the instruction the certified dealer has the badge replaced or has it done in-house themselves.*

Ain't no one getting "cash back" from Ludwig**.. I'm betting...
The Badge "operation" doesn't have a flat fee/dollar/figure/ at the factory..what do you think it costs Ludwig to have the badge put on each drum at the factory $4? 2$? 11$? You see...there's no "money" figure on it/this..
I think if at all It will be a "warranty claim"..

I'm guessing!

It's warranty work

*then after that Ludwig wash their hands on the matter and it becomes between you and Dealer.
Now Dealer may choose to keep the replacement badge and give you $40 out of the cash drawer...that's....possible..

somebody's getting a New Badge (in a stapled, Parts bag..) I think

** the dealer may turn and seek reimbursement from Ludwig if dealer choses to send drum out to get rebadged or Even what ever it costs his shop to perform the operation. Thats called Warranty Reimbursement

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remind us again where the 9 x 13 crooked Badge drum was bought? Local store was it Sweetwater; authorized Ludwig dealer oh Soundpure , right? Authorized Ludwig dealer is all that matters

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Car Dealership for 40 years; warranty claim
What it-->
is not your concern..

Ludwig is going to send the dealer a New badge with the instruction the certified dealer has the badge replaced or has it done in-house themselves.*

Ain't no one getting "cash back" from Ludwig**.. I'm betting...
The Badge "operation" doesn't have a flat fee/dollar/figure/ at the factory..what do you think it costs Ludwig to have the badge put on each drum at the factory $4? 2$? 11$? You see...there's no "money" figure on it/this..
I think if at all It will be a "warranty claim"..

I'm guessing!

It's warranty work

*then after that Ludwig wash their hands on the matter and it becomes between you and Dealer.
Now Dealer may choose to keep the replacement badge and give you $40 out of the cash drawer...that's....possible..

somebody's getting a New Badge (in a stapled, Parts bag..) I think

** the dealer may turn and seek reimbursement from Ludwig if dealer choses to send drum out to get rebadged or Even what ever it costs his shop to perform the operation. Thats called Warranty Reimbursement
Like I said, however it turns out is ok. Not losing sleep over it! Drums not going back so I guess the dealer keeps a badge and I'm not taking any money for them. Either way, it's all good!