Would having a tone control professionally installed on a Black Beauty 14x6.5 ruin its resell value?

Drummer1990

Reaction score
So I've been toying for past week now Idea of buying a Ludwig Black beauty 14x6.5 and As much as I want a 70s with the tone control I just cant find one without somebody wanting a grand or more... So sad face there..

Then I considered buying a newer black beauty on the secondary owned market an I wonder if I had a Tone Control professionally installed to the drum would that ruin the value of it?

I'm a guy that likes the tone controls wish ludwig still added them to their drums.. Both my Galaxy Acro and 76 Supraphonic have the tone controls and I'm n love with how fat they sound.

Thoughts anyone????

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I for one wished my newer BB had a tone control. So let’s say I’d never bought it and was in the market and you were selling a 6.5 with one: I’d be all over that.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You seem to have issue with demand side economics. Many of your posts/comments lately center around rare and/or highly desirable drums that sell for above $1000 that you desire, or less expensive yet still very collectible vintage drums (keystone Acrolites) you see, but are vocal about the pricing and your unwillingness to spend that much for them. Pretty simple...you gotta pay to play in the collector's market. Don't wanna pay, then the modern equivalent is your target. i.e. Want a vintage Hemi Challenger? Your gonna have to pay nearly 6 figures. BUT, You can drive a brand new Hemi Challenger for $40k

My recommendations:
If you want a BB with a tone contriol, buy a BB with a tome control.
If you are not willing to step up to the plate and buy one with the tone control, buy one without and use one of the myriad of cheap options to achieve the sound you are looking for.
or, Alter what you purchase, and face the result if you eventually sell it.

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
It's a new drum, so it's not like you're destroying collectible value. It' just a used non-vintage drum with an extra hole. If you want to do it because you can't find one exactly like that, drill away. But I don't care for underneath tone controls now - greatly preferring to add muffling from above. (Despite having a kid who thinks its funny to steal any such muffling).

Ludwig1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own a newer Gretsch Aluminum snare. The previous owner had an internal muffler installed after he bought it. I was looking to purchase a used Gretsch Aluminum and was happy to find one with the internal muffler.

With that in mind...I believe it could hurt the resale, although I am not concerned. I have no plans on selling the snare at this time. If that changes, I would imagine someone out there will prefer the internal muffler.

I agree with others who posted that there are numerous external muffling ideas...snare weight, moongel, etc. I personally prefer internal muffling on my snares.

Drummer1990

Reaction score
You seem to have issue with demand side economics. Many of your posts/comments lately center around rare and/or highly desirable drums that sell for above $1000 that you desire, or less expensive yet still very collectible vintage drums (keystone Acrolites) you see, but are vocal about the pricing and your unwillingness to spend that much for them. Pretty simple...you gotta pay to play in the collector's market. Don't wanna pay, then the modern equivalent is your target. i.e. Want a vintage Hemi Challenger? Your gonna have to pay nearly 6 figures. BUT, You can drive a brand new Hemi Challenger for $40k

My recommendations:
If you want a BB with a tone contriol, buy a BB with a tome control.
If you are not willing to step up to the plate and buy one with the tone control, buy one without and use one of the myriad of cheap options to achieve the sound you are looking for.
or, Alter what you purchase, and face the result if you eventually sell it.
we been through this before. I am of the mind group that something is only worth what a person will pay for it, I really dont give a %$!" what collectors think things are worth. I'm not a collector, my gear both modern an vintage get played they dont sit on shelves or behind glass. The market on vintage drum gear is just an excuse for people to get rich quick and quite frankly if there isn't something done about it and a steady balance is reached its going crash the economy and nobody will be able to experience old gear vs new modern poorly made gear. Its facts I'm sorry if you or anyone else doesn't like my thoughts or opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitled to feel how they want this is just mine.

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally, I would install the muffler. Especially if you can find a Ludwig muffler, that would be ideal. I have the feeling that internal mufflers will return soon, at least as an option. Look at the new Benny Greb sig snares; both have two different internal mufflers!

Drummer1990

Reaction score
Personally, I would install the muffler. Especially if you can find a Ludwig muffler, that would be ideal. I have the feeling that internal mufflers will return soon, at least as an option. Look at the new Benny Greb sig snares; both have two different internal mufflers!
I agree with you it was really stupid of Ludwig to stop making drums with in them. I want to install a Tone control in a modern black beauty which I have probably zero intentions of selling once I do. I am not trying to replicate a vintage bb,pass a modern off as such or deceiving people that it is. I prefer a snare drum that deep to have a tone control as it really helps eliminate the over tones for people that aren't experts at drum tuning

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it was me, I would 100% install the muffler. In fact, I've done so on a couple of non-Ludwig snares (I like the Ludwig muffler). The part is relatively cheap and easy to install, and it's a Ludwig part on a Ludwig drum. Resale value? It will be both more and less desirable, to different buyers.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
we been through this before. I am of the mind group that something is only worth what a person will pay for it, I really dont give a %$!" what collectors think things are worth. I'm not a collector, my gear both modern an vintage get played they dont sit on shelves or behind glass. The market on vintage drum gear is just an excuse for people to get rich quick and quite frankly if there isn't something done about it and a steady balance is reached its going crash the economy and nobody will be able to experience old gear vs new modern poorly made gear. Its facts I'm sorry if you or anyone else doesn't like my thoughts or opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitled to feel how they want this is just mine.
I'd like to know just one person who "got rich quick" from vintage drums ..

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you do this, try and install a Ludwig product .

Yes, it may give prospective buyers with a negotiating tool, in the same way that a vintage BB missing its tone control would . Insignificant in some cases, minimal in others .

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Definitely try for a Ludwig muffler. I had a 402 from the 80s and removed it at one point, because it was the thing to do at the time. Since then, I kept the mufflers on any vintage Supra or Acrolite that I owned - I really like using them...

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As stated above Go for it. Just make sure you get a Ludwig component and put the holes where they need to be. Then of you decide later in life to sell it, adjust the price accordingly and disclose that it's NOT factory but Professionally done by XX shop and you should be fine. If it were me I would explore all options before drilling .... Die cast hoop(s) , external muffling, different heads ie: Evans Genera Dry w the vent holes etc... Might find a compromise or the sound you're looking for without the drill.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ummmmm. You're the one that asked. Collector terminology aside, yes it will potentially hurt the value if you add one.

If this is your stance, and you're ready to drill the drum, why did you bother asking ? I know that sounds rude, but.....

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I look at it like, I’m not BUYING so I can sell it. I’m buying to play it. And anything that makes it more usable and enjoyable during that time, all the better. If I do end up selling, if I lose some money, oh well, drums aren’t (usually) investments. And whatever $ I lost, I usually more than made up for with enjoyment of playing.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would get myself a B-Stock BB for this purpose then install a Ludwig muffler in the correct position on it. Those drums are every bit as good as any other but will never be at the top of the heap as far as being collectible by virtue of the cut badge being a giveaway. Ludwig sells the mufflers as a part so you can get the real deal to put on. I think you can order them installed on toms and maybe on wood shelled snares but I doubt that applies to the metal shelled drums as they don't drill them in the plant but receive them pre-punched with all the holes in place. Even as a special order they'd only have to mess up drilling one shell to ruin their profit margin on a drum.

There would be other options. Rogers used to make a muffler that clipped on the hoop and put adjustable pressure on top of the head.

I tend to never use mufflers although both my 1970s Black Beauties have factory installed ones (and no they are not for sale).

My late friend and former drum teacher, Tom Rogiewicz, decided to order himself a top of the line Ludwig snare drum during Ludwig's centennial year due to the special badge. A mutual friend who worked at a music store handled the deal and no expense was spared. It had an exotic wood veneer, die-cast hoops, and a P-86 throw...what it didn't have was a muffler which was not an option. So Tom, who hadn't bought a brand new snare drum in decades, gets the drum and immediately flips out because the muffler is "missing". He gets in touch with the guy at the store, who gets in touch with his Ludwig rep who says "We don't do that and we won't do that". But Tom was a tenacious sort with a very colorful vocabulary and, eventually, the drum went back to Ludwig and they installed the required muffler in the spot where he wanted it. I inherited that drum when Tom passed in 2015 and I'm sure if I ever go to sell it (doubtful) the factory installed muffler will be an issue since anyone "in the know" will argue that "Ludwig didn't put mufflers on drums like that". But maybe they will if you complain loudly enough to the right people.