Would having a tone control professionally installed on a Black Beauty 14x6.5 ruin its resell value?

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
we been through this before. I am of the mind group that something is only worth what a person will pay for it, I really dont give a %$!" what collectors think things are worth. I'm not a collector, my gear both modern an vintage get played they dont sit on shelves or behind glass. The market on vintage drum gear is just an excuse for people to get rich quick and quite frankly if there isn't something done about it and a steady balance is reached its going crash the economy and nobody will be able to experience old gear vs new modern poorly made gear. Its facts I'm sorry if you or anyone else doesn't like my thoughts or opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitled to feel how they want this is just mine.
So much wrong with this post , and that's a fact !!!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
we been through this before. I am of the mind group that something is only worth what a person will pay for it, I really dont give a %$!" what collectors think things are worth. I'm not a collector, my gear both modern an vintage get played they dont sit on shelves or behind glass. The market on vintage drum gear is just an excuse for people to get rich quick and quite frankly if there isn't something done about it and a steady balance is reached its going crash the economy and nobody will be able to experience old gear vs new modern poorly made gear. Its facts I'm sorry if you or anyone else doesn't like my thoughts or opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitled to feel how they want this is just mine.
Yeah... tons of people have gotten rich quick selling vintage drums.
You're right, something should be done about the vintage drum market before tge economy crashes...

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah... tons of people have gotten rich quick selling vintage drums.
You're right, something should be done about the vintage drum market before tge economy crashes...
I fear it's too late. Economy is already stalled because of this reckless scheming by vintage drum dealers. We should'a seen it coming...

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So you are saying I can't have a voice about overpriced vintage gear?
Sure, you have a voice about vintage drum gear. Just remember that your opinions are NOT facts, they're just your opinions. And if you want to say "if there isn't something done about it" with a straight face on a public forum, go for it - just be ready for the responses.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
So you are saying I can't have a voice about overpriced vintage gear?
Listen to me if...you want a muffler on the drum you have, > You Get an Exact Ludwig Part and have it installed (unless you're really good with a drill and have the tools) In the EXACT spot a comparable Ludwig drum -in that size etc- would have it placed.

Things you don't want to do:
1) Install a Pearl or Import type (like from a Tama) muffler
2) and of course, tackle it yourself, unless you are equipped to do a factory like install.

Even if the drum was never sold or available with a muffler, " so what" you want a muffler it's your drum, but I highly recommend it be a Ludwig possibly period correct and expertly installed.

Then charge extra when the time comes to sell. :)
and then like every used item take what you can get.
But for now try to do the job right.

Actually
1) clip on muffler is easiest way out
2) nothing looks worse in the eye of a picky buyer than a USA Ludwig or USA Gretsch snare with a Tama type/style muffler plunked on it

Last edited:

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Listen to me if...you want a muffler on the drum you have, > You Get an Exact Ludwig Part and have it installed (unless you're really good with a drill and have the tools) In the EXACT spot a comparable Ludwig drum -in that size etc- would have it placed.

Things you don't want to do:
1) Install a Pearl or Import type (like from a Tama) muffler
2) and of course, tackle it yourself, unless you are equipped to do a factory like install.

Even if the drum was never sold or available with a muffler, " so what" you want a muffler it's your drum, but I highly recommend it be a Ludwig possibly period correct and expertly installed.

Then charge extra when the time comes to sell. :)
and then like every used item take what you can get.
But for now do the job right.
Best advice I've heard on this thread all week thanks JDA I will take your advice :)

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would have no issue considering a BB with an aftermarket damper installed, so long as it was the correct Ludwig part installed in the correct/factory-spec location on the drum. Aftermarket work that is done incorrectly or carelessly is a definite turn-off. Factory-spec using correct part is fine to me, and I don't think it would hurt value much or at all, depending on the buyer.

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would have no issue considering a BB with an aftermarket damper installed, so long as it was the correct Ludwig part installed in the correct/factory-spec location on the drum. Aftermarket work that is done incorrectly or carelessly is a definite turn-off. Factory-spec using correct part is fine to me, and I don't think it would hurt value much or at all, depending on the buyer.
Yes if I do do this The part would be a genuine ludwig tone control not no after market bs brand. I'm highly considering buying the 14x6.5 black beauty.. Issue is I'm struggling to find a seller with 1 in well cared for condition

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
A detail I didn't see mentioned yet - drilling the shell will pierce the plating and could lead to issues later. If drilling I'd think hard about not dinging the plating and sealing it well.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a new drum, so it's not like you're destroying collectible value. It' just a used non-vintage drum with an extra hole. If you want to do it because you can't find one exactly like that, drill away.
Said every drummer from about 1977-1990 while painting over ugly pearls, oysters, and sparkles and installing Pearl mounts.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Said every drummer from about 1977-1990 while painting over ugly pearls, oysters, and sparkles and installing Pearl mounts.
Yeah, but they were still making good music back then. We're at the end of the death of rock n roll.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would get myself a B-Stock BB for this purpose then install a Ludwig muffler in the correct position on it. Those drums are every bit as good as any other but will never be at the top of the heap as far as being collectible by virtue of the cut badge being a giveaway. Ludwig sells the mufflers as a part so you can get the real deal to put on. I think you can order them installed on toms and maybe on wood shelled snares but I doubt that applies to the metal shelled drums as they don't drill them in the plant but receive them pre-punched with all the holes in place. Even as a special order they'd only have to mess up drilling one shell to ruin their profit margin on a drum.

There would be other options. Rogers used to make a muffler that clipped on the hoop and put adjustable pressure on top of the head.

I tend to never use mufflers although both my 1970s Black Beauties have factory installed ones (and no they are not for sale).

My late friend and former drum teacher, Tom Rogiewicz, decided to order himself a top of the line Ludwig snare drum during Ludwig's centennial year due to the special badge. A mutual friend who worked at a music store handled the deal and no expense was spared. It had an exotic wood veneer, die-cast hoops, and a P-86 throw...what it didn't have was a muffler which was not an option. So Tom, who hadn't bought a brand new snare drum in decades, gets the drum and immediately flips out because the muffler is "missing". He gets in touch with the guy at the store, who gets in touch with his Ludwig rep who says "We don't do that and we won't do that". But Tom was a tenacious sort with a very colorful vocabulary and, eventually, the drum went back to Ludwig and they installed the required muffler in the spot where he wanted it. I inherited that drum when Tom passed in 2015 and I'm sure if I ever go to sell it (doubtful) the factory installed muffler will be an issue since anyone "in the know" will argue that "Ludwig didn't put mufflers on drums like that". But maybe they will if you complain loudly enough to the right people.
So the muffler makes it rare and more desirable now. At least that is how I'd sell it

nylontip

Reaction score
I bought a snare from someone who put a muffler through the vent hole (I think by mistake). But it may actually work as an option.
muffler.jpg

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe you can get Ludwig snares with mufflers from the factory now, at least the wooden drums, not sure about the metal. If done properly you're not detracting from the actual value of the drum. It's more of an excuse for buyers to pay less for a great snare. I bought my BB (5x14) in 2006 and never once have worried about the resale value because I doubt I'd ever sale it. If you are looking to buy a used one then buy it and drill away. I've never had much luck with adjusting the external mufflers, I have a Pearl one and it's either on or off very little adjustment.

Another thought, not sure if same hole spacing but the Canopus Muffler looks really good and I've heard a few people that really like them. If the same hole spacing you could always switch it to a Ludwig later if you wanted to sale.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
So I've been toying for past week now Idea of buying a Ludwig Black beauty 14x6.5 and As much as I want a 70s with the tone control I just cant find one without somebody wanting a grand or more... So sad face there..

Then I considered buying a newer black beauty on the secondary owned market an I wonder if I had a Tone Control professionally installed to the drum would that ruin the value of it?

I'm a guy that likes the tone controls wish ludwig still added them to their drums.. Both my Galaxy Acro and 76 Supraphonic have the tone controls and I'm n love with how fat they sound.

Thoughts anyone????
I believe Ludwig offered the tone control as an option not too long ago. If you contacted Ludwig they may even tell you it can be special ordered. I know if the muffler were installed professionally? And, looked like a factory install? I would never question it... and would see it as a plus in making my decision if buying from you.

The baseball bat ones were terrible. They were either all on (over choked), or nothing. The threaded, fine tune-able ones, I still long for even today.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Here we have my BB with my non-patented, easy throw, empty wallet fat back muffler. Total non-factory aftermarket, and I never lose the wallet for a tone change up flicking it off with a stick in between songs. Very quick tone change.

Not intending to yank anyone’s chain as I’d prefer it if this drum actually had a muffler, but this is my simple solution and, despite its unorthodoxy, it works wonderfully for me.

The wallet was thicker before I bought the drum.
89AD9261-9A7A-4FEA-9688-36665BE0B871.jpeg