Would having a tone control professionally installed on a Black Beauty 14x6.5 ruin its resell value?

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes if I do do this The part would be a genuine ludwig tone control not no after market bs brand. I'm highly considering buying the 14x6.5 black beauty.. Issue is I'm struggling to find a seller with 1 in well cared for condition
Once again , I call BS. In todays market you should have several to choose from .

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Once again , I call BS. In todays market you should have several to choose from .
I'm getting really tired of you attacking my posts. I cant find one cause I'm a OCD person that doesn't want a used one with scratches rust or abuse.. Not many take care of their snare drums that said I am considering just ordering one brand new but $759 for a new one.. That's a lot

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would install the muffler. Especially if you can find a Ludwig muffler, that would be ideal. I have the feeling that internal mufflers will return soon, at least as an option. Look at the new Benny Greb sig snares; both have two different internal mufflers!
The Gretsch Brooklyn Standard also has a tone control.

1585066460308.png

Skeet6

Reaction score
we been through this before. I am of the mind group that something is only worth what a person will pay for it, I really dont give a %$!" what collectors think things are worth. I'm not a collector, my gear both modern an vintage get played they dont sit on shelves or behind glass. The market on vintage drum gear is just an excuse for people to get rich quick and quite frankly if there isn't something done about it and a steady balance is reached its going crash the economy and nobody will be able to experience old gear vs new modern poorly made gear. Its facts I'm sorry if you or anyone else doesn't like my thoughts or opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitled to feel how they want this is just mine.
It seems to me you way too worried about resale value - yet at the same time you are decrying those who resell for maximum price (vintage or other). Are you really sure you "dont give a %$!" what collectors think things are worth" - ? Seems to me you are very concerned.
Here's a straight, recommendation. Buy the drum (if you can afford it), drill two tiny holes and install the 20 dollar muffler - no science, no nothing needed. It's literally TWO little holes. Bliss! No drama! Do it!
Mike B

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems to me you way too worried about resale value - yet at the same time you are decrying those who resell for maximum price (vintage or other). Are you really sure you "dont give a %$!" what collectors think things are worth" - ? Seems to me you are very concerned.
Here's a straight, recommendation. Buy the drum (if you can afford it), drill two tiny holes and install the 20 dollar muffler - no science, no nothing needed. It's literally TWO little holes. Bliss! No drama! Do it!
Mike B
have no real intention of selling this drum once I do find one (yes people say that alot) But god forbid I die of the Coronavirus or become a paraplegic that cant ever play drums again or walk an have to sacrifice my passion for music an sell my little bit of nice gear I've managed to have I gotta know I'll be able to get enough for it to either pay Bill's or do something else productive or pay for my funeral expenses.

Skeet6

Reaction score
have no real intention of selling this drum once I do find one (yes people say that alot) But god forbid I die of the Coronavirus or become a paraplegic that cant ever play drums again or walk an have to sacrifice my passion for music an sell my little bit of nice gear I've managed to have I gotta know I'll be able to get enough for it to either pay Bill's or do something else productive or pay for my funeral expenses.
Well, forget the last line of my previous post where I said "no drama" - this post takes the cake for drama llama nonsense... Coronavirus? Parapelegic? If your ability pay bills or funeral expenses really is in jeopardy from the purchase/resale of a freaking snare drum... well... I'm out, pal. Figure it out yourself.
Mike B

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, forget the last line of my previous post where I said "no drama" - this post takes the cake for drama llama nonsense... Coronavirus? Parapelegic? If your ability pay bills or funeral expenses really is in jeopardy from the purchase/resale of a freaking snare drum... well... I'm out, pal. Figure it out yourself.
Mike B
LOL thx for your support...

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Black Beauty's have a fragile finish that scratches easily. They're nice to look at, but I'd be too worried about scratching it, so I never picked one up. Those raw brass ones look nice though and probably sound similar.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How many did that? I don't know of any.
I don’t have statistics, but I’ve seen my fair share of painted over finishes, drums with extra holes for hardware upgrades, extra cymbal holders added to the bass drum..... None of that was done to “vintage” drums, just slightly old, used stuff. Now they are “vintage”.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t have statistics, but I’ve seen my fair share of painted over finishes, drums with extra holes for hardware upgrades, extra cymbal holders added to the bass drum..... None of that was done to “vintage” drums, just slightly old, used stuff. Now they are “vintage”.
Oh you were just referring to custom mods to drums that required drilling. Got it. I have done that to almost every set I've owned, up until recently. Reason being, most stock mounting systems were complete crap. I had a Ludwig mount on my 70s Pearl, Premier mounts on my 70s Slingerlands, Yamaha mounts on my 00s Gretsch, different strainers on tons of snares, and so on. I've never been concerned with resale. I wouldn't do anything that didn't improve the drums in some way.

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh you were just referring to custom mods to drums that required drilling. Got it. I have done that to almost every set I've owned, up until recently. Reason being, most stock mounting systems were complete crap. I had a Ludwig mount on my 70s Pearl, Premier mounts on my 70s Slingerlands, Yamaha mounts on my 00s Gretsch, different strainers on tons of snares, and so on. I've never been concerned with resale. I wouldn't do anything that didn't improve the drums in some way.
I want a Tone control muffler on a modern black beauty as I dont have $900 to go buy a vintage 70s black beauty

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I want a Tone control muffler on a modern black beauty as I dont have $900 to go buy a vintage 70s black beauty
What is it about the Black Beauty that you like so much? I think they're pretty, but nothing special really. If Ludwig came out with a Super Sensitive model, that would sway me big time though. As for internal dampening, I guess there's no harm, but I haven't used ANY dampening on a snare drum in a long, long time. Probably not since the late 70s. If I ever needed to tame some high pitched ring, a tiny piece of tape or a small bandage would easily suffice. One of those mylar O-rings for something drastic. I guess everything old is new again.

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is it about the Black Beauty that you like so much? I think they're pretty, but nothing special really. If Ludwig came out with a Super Sensitive model, that would sway me big time though.
1. It's amazing sounding drum versatile for practically every style music

2. I dont have a 14x6.5 brass snare at all on my snare rack.

And omg are they so beautiful and I want to make it even better by installing a tone control so it matches my 6.5 Supraphonic LM402 :)

Fyi if you wanted a black beauty super sensitive bad enough you could buy a used one an turn it into one

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
if you wanted a black beauty super sensitive bad enough you could buy a used one an turn it into one
First off, I don't want one that bad. I have three snares now, and that's more than enough. Secondly, I would only get a new one, with a factory installed Super Sensitive system. If that thing isn't installed perfectly, it's pointless.

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First off, I don't want one that bad. I have three snares now, and that's more than enough. Secondly, I would only get a new one, with a factory installed Super Sensitive system. If that thing isn't installed perfectly, it's pointless.
You do understand that I'm getting a black beauty either used which I'd then have a correct era tone control installed in it by CERTIFIED ludwig or I'm going to have it custom ordered through a dealer already installed for me.. I have not decided yet..

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm getting really tired of you attacking my posts. I cant find one cause I'm a OCD person that doesn't want a used one with scratches rust or abuse.. Not many take care of their snare drums that said I am considering just ordering one brand new but $759 for a new one.. That's a lot
And once again , I call BS . Almost every drummer I know takes exquisite care of their snares , ESPECIALLY those with Black Beauty’s ...

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And once again , I call BS . Almost every drummer I know takes exquisite care of their snares , ESPECIALLY those with Black Beauty’s ...
Oh my god will you give your internet trolling a rest! ffs go troll someone else. What are you in middle school jesus act your age.