Would this be a fair trade?

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb thread to start, I’m just running into a brick wall on google. I’m trying to sell a 20” Paiste Signature Full Ride and a guy on Craigslist wants to trade a 6.5x14 Ludwig Classic Maple snare drum. Seems to be a similar value trade which is fine, though I wanted another ride cymbal to replace the Paiste so I’ll probably just end up selling the Ludwig or another snare drum to finance a new ride cymbal.

Anyways, it has a blue and olive badge on it and all the Classic Maples I have found are keystone badges. I have seen it mentioned in forums that a blue and olive badge on a Classic Maple is actually a thing...And the lugs seem different than a lot of Classic Maples I’m seeing online. Can anyone confirm whether this is actually a Classic Maple and whether it is still a fair value trade for the Paiste with this type of badge?

Attachments

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$150 tops for the Sig on CL

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t let it go for that little personally. It’s not a must sell, I just wanted to make sure before I made a trade that the Ludwig snare was comparable with the badge not being a keystone.
You mentioned CL
$150 is on the high end for market value there (most likely you would get less).
Soo with that in mind
once you find out
what the real world take home value for the snare is
you will be able to make
an educated decision
based on the facts
I provided regarding
one half of
the transaction
being pondered.

Last edited:

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
You mentioned CL
$150 is on the high end for market value there (most likely you would get less).
Soo with that in mind
once you find out
what the real world take home value for the snare is you will be able to make an educated decision based on facts.
I’m looking for information about the Ludwig. Do you know anything about the Classic Maples with the b/o badge?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe I had a Lud just like that (long lug blonde) awhile- a good while back; (bought for) 200$ was on the low side of cheap; Good Drum I think shoulda maybe kept it.)
6.5 x 14 Ludwigs -if that's legit- are always desirable

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
I thought you could order drums from them with either B/O or Keystone on them now. Doesn't the person trading know anything about the snare?
He isn’t very direct about it. I’m not sure he knows. I haven’t met up with him yet and will ask more questions in person. I just wanted a baseline to go off of. I don’t know a whole lot about Ludwigs and will usually check sold items on eBay to get a loose idea about value. But they’re all keystone badges so I figured I’d check in here.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you look at- Completed/ Sold Items Ludwig 6.5 wood -on ebay- there's two both (brought) 300 and up (and were recovered etc).

Ludwig expert will chime in soon

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
If you look at- Completed/ Sold Items Ludwig 6.5 wood -on ebay- there's two both (brought) 300 and up (and were recovered etc).

Ludwig expert will chime in soon
When I did that I only found one with the b/o badge and in the description they stated it originally had a keystone badge but they changed it when it was rewrapped.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
I'd make the trade if I wanted to move the cymbal and was in the hunt for another good snare. It's a great snare that sells for more than what you may be able to sell the cymbal for.
Yup, I figure it’s a win-win as long as it’s not something that isn’t what it seems. Either I make the trade and love it and sell my acrolite or Tama SLP Bubinga for the ride cymbal or I make the trade and sell it for more than what I paid for the Paiste, or at least the same amount but with more ease. I didn’t get the Paiste cheap and the user snappy who responded above isn’t totally off base about the value of the Paiste. It’ll be difficult to recoup the $220 I paid for it.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
New Classic Maple Ludwigs can be ordered with blue/olive or keystone badges.
I have a 4-5 year old set with the blue/olive badges that I bought from a forum member about 3 years ago.
I think the snare is probably worth a little more than your cymbal, but certainly a fair trade in any case.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
That snare may even have a nice factory sticker inside... Sperts? Will it? Does it?
may help you legitimize it a bit)

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve been ghosted so it doesnt matter anymore :(

Oh well! Thanks to everyone who helped!
Shouldn't matter if you have been ghosted. Most the time in trades, you don't meet up exactly value for value. Different people value things differently, especially when you start factoring in variables like selling, shipping, etc. etc.

He likely has no time or patience to first sell his snare before acquiring your cymbal.

A win win is still very possible and likely between you two.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I know the issue is dead now but for future reference this is indeed a classic maple snare. As far as I can tell from the pic it also looks like there is no serial number on the badge which indicates that the drum was made after 2015. I think it was 2015 when Ludwig started putting a sticker inside the shell with a bar code on it. My 2012 B/O badge classic maples have serial numbers on the badges and the add on 14x14 that I ordered brand new in 2015 has no serial number and the sticker inside. IMO I think this would have been a pretty good trade as that Ludwig looks to be next to condition and it was probably at least a $500 snare to begin with.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
I know the issue is dead now but for future reference this is indeed a classic maple snare. As far as I can tell from the pic it also looks like there is no serial number on the badge which indicates that the drum was made after 2015. I think it was 2015 when Ludwig started putting a sticker inside the shell with a bar code on it. My 2012 B/O badge classic maples have serial numbers on the badges and the add on 14x14 that I ordered brand new in 2015 has no serial number and the sticker inside. IMO I think this would have been a pretty good trade as that Ludwig looks to be next to condition and it was probably at least a $500 snare to begin with.
Yeah man, I’m pretty disappointed it didn’t happen...but why wouldn’t I be?! I thought since he offered it in the first place there might be something I didn’t know about the snare drums value. Oh well, I’m not in a huge rush to move the Paiste anyways. I just get like getting new gear and I don’t have the money for it so I do the whole buy/sell game.

He actually did end up getting back to me. He sold it. Good for him lol

Latest posts