Would this work?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thinking about rewrapping a bass drum.
...contemplating Formica.
Looks like it might be cheaper than actual drum wrap.
...but will it work?
Can it be applied around a 22" bass drum and not break?
Has anyone ever tried this?

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Dang, you're right!
Thanks Mike, that didn't even occur to me! :thumbup:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
I just used the word "Formica", because everyone recognizes it and I really didn't know what else to call it. :icon_e_confused:
Unfortunately, that particular finish isn't quite right. I need something that imitates blonde Maple. I found something at Home Depot, but its a huge sheet.
...I suppose I could ask them if they could cut it down...

EDIT: Found it. Thanks R-L.

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
I just used the word "Formica", because everyone recognizes it and I really didn't know what else to call it. :icon_e_confused:
Unfortunately, that particular finish isn't quite right. I need something that imitates blonde Maple. I found something at Home Depot, but its a huge sheet.
...I suppose I could ask them if they could cut it down...

EDIT: Found it. Thanks R-L.
My reply was tongue in cheek aka butcherblock straight outta 1973, but you’re looking at contact paper?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU MESS AROUND?!

...:icon_mrgreen:

Seriously, thanks for that idea. That's cheaper than the stuff I found at HD, so I may very well go that route.
....worth a shot, anyway. Right?

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hey, its a cheap drum, but its in nearly new condition and more importantly, I already own it!
The shelf paper is almost fitting considering what it is.

Elvis

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ive done many drums over the years in "Formica" (HPL or High Pressure Laminate) BUT you need to know that it comes in different thickness and that will make your life mush easier to get the correct one fr the job.

The standard grade substrate is designed for flat horizontal application and is VERY hard to work in radius shapes and thus drums. Some manufactures produce a middle thickness called vertical grade that is more designed for wall and furniture applications. To do your drum project you want to buy a sheet (wholesale laminate comes as small as 4X8) of what is called post-forming grade. This is the same top portion but less of the backing material making it suitable for radius and curves and is used in countertops for example.

I'm not saying you could not make standard grade work on a large kick as the radius is more gental but you would need the thinner grade for toms. Use good quality contact adhesive (I prefer spray as it's much easier to get uniform coverage and sets MUCH faster). If you decide to give it a shot and have any questions just yell at me, I will help in any way I can.

Good luck with what ever direction you go in and show us the after pics!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Fat Drummer!
That is some of the stuff I was wondering about.
I went back to HD and found the sheet I was thinking about and it says its .035" thickness.
Would that be considered Post Forming Grade?

Elvis