Would you buy a bass drum that is 1/4 inch out of round?

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Have a chance to pick up a 24" 70s pointy BO badge Black Cortex ludwig locally. I measured it and it is about a quater of an inch out of round at its worst spot.
It will need new heads so wondering if that much will make getting heads on and tuning difficult?
Need to know asap. Thanks.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It'll definitely make tuning more difficult. If you get the wider fitting vintage style heads (I think remo and aquarian make some) you might be fine. I've had mild success rerounding some things by applying weight and leaving a hot shower on for a steam room but that can be a gamble.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. I've owned a few that were worse because the previous owners removed the resonant side and had heavy toms mounted. Just make sure you seat the head with good weight centered as possible. Put a good pile of books while you tighten the rim using a scrap head. Get it nice and tight. Leave it that way for about a month while you play and it'll improve with time. I had a 20-inch that was over an inch off. A 40Kg barbell weight for a month cured it to within 1/16th of an inch. No problems tuning. Some folks are too picky for their level of playing. Don't sweat it at all. I used to get Keller shells that were just as bad and the wide barbell weight fixed the problem.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So all your measurements are within 1/4" of each other?

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No biggie. Had a couple big Gretsch bass drums that were out that much only to get back to round (0r close enough)with the head and hoop intact and tuned.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
So all your measurements are within 1/4" of each other?
Oh I see what you mean, largest measurement was 24 1/4 and smallest measurement was 23 3/4. so I think the vertical had settled down a 1/4 and the horizontal spread a 1/4. probably because the reso head and been removed for a long time.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh I see what you mean, largest measurement was 24 1/4 and smallest measurement was 23 3/4. so I think the vertical had settled down a 1/4 and the horizontal spread a 1/4. probably because the reso head and been removed for a long time.
Well I would not worry about it myself.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My understanding is that if a drum is out of round, and the widest part of the bearing edge rests on the collar of the drumhead beyond the flat part of the film, it may be difficult to tune. I think that that would kill a smaller drum. YMMV. But, I don’t know how perceivable that would be on a 24” bass drum, especially if you are going to muffle it. If it’s local, maybe you can try to tune it up and see if you like it before buying.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Take a drum head with you and try it on, if it fits and it sounds good buy it, that’s what I’d do.

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a Slingerland that was 1/4" out. Was hard getting new heads on, but tuned up OK. After playing it a couple of years, took the heads off and it was perfect.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Well it was in an auction, only 6 blocks from my house. I bid up to 1225.00 for the whole set of stuff they were selling, would have been 1500 with the sellers fee. but I decided I did not want to spend that much and have a project on top of it.
The sale was for this.

Attachments

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
9 drums
7 cymbals
bunch of other stuff
There was 2 matching 24s with all the tension rods and claws(some in a box) but missing a hoop on each. a complete 18, 16 floor toms, mounted 13 14 but missing a hoop each. 10 and 12 concert toms with the stand and clips. A 5X14 supra in really good shape, no rust and no pitting I could see.
2 Ghost pedals in very good shape.
Roc n Soc hydrolic throne in good shape working properly.
lots of zildjian stands and 3 extra boom/mic stands
2 18s 60s As one light 1410, one extra light 1389 really wanted those.
1 16 60s A that would have been great top high hat as was extra thin 979 !!!
14" high hats 60s As 850 over 930
1 21 Med ride at 2865
1 sabian 10 splash
Slingerland hiHat stand
Tama Roto-Toms 8,10,12, in good shape, I tried them and tuning was working.
Stick bag and sticks and extra sticks in a box.
Cow bell and chimes.
Some other small stuff like 2 highhat clutches and other bits.

Attachments

Last edited:

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of gear! Do yo know what the wining bid was?