Would you buy an add on in a different finish?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Let's say you've scoured the Earth looking for a certain sized drum to go with your discontinued drum kit - the only thing available
you can find is a different finish - do you buy it or keep scouring the Earth?
I'm getting parched -

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am too picky on the look of drums. If I have no chance of finding what I want (the original matching) and I definitely do not have the need to buy that size then I will not buy it.
If I really need to have that size then I guess any drum in that size would work while I play and I will try to refinish it to somewhat match. After I am done playing I will separate it from my set.

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's taken me a long time to finally go with a non-matching snare drum. In my situation, if I looking for an add-on drum for my 60's oyster black kit, I'd keep looking before settling on a non-matching finish. I'll be the first to admit that it's totally irrational, but for some reason, I prefer matching drums unless my goal was to go "full jellybean" with a Vistalite or sparkle-wrap kit.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. But in my case the kit is a wrap. If I find the correct tom, I'll re-wrap it to match the rest of the kit.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sure-I even went with a different maker ....

I have a Tama Starclassic Performer in “Transparent Black” lacquer. It has a 22x18” BD. I wanted a twenty.

Found a brand new Rockstar Custom 20x16” in a “Transparent Blue” lacquer at Dales. Price was too good to pass up.

Next I came across a Yamaha Stage Custom (birch) 18x16” floor tom in a transparent blue lacquer that is a dead ringer for the Tama blue lacquer, again at a lrice too good to pass up.

Basically I have a birch shell bank of 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 22....with a pretty killer poplar 20” when I need it.

I could easily purchase a wrap and wrap them all to match, but for now I am OK with it.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I thought I could rewrap to match, I would. If it was something close (i.e. glass glitter vs sparkle in same color), I probably would. If it's a stained finish, again I would look at how likely I felt I could match it by stripping and restaining. But just a different color tom or bass drum and learning to live with it, probably not. Plus, everyone has to have that one incomplete drum or kit that you keep hunting for, otherwise life loses all meaning.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
? If it's a second floor tom- in same series- yes.

But. I can't find that EITHER

: )

(go ahead locate a 16 head x14 deep gunmetal 6P Broadkaster late 90s early 00s Gretsch single)
(anywhere)

Solution: another Gretsch era series non-gunmetal; (heck I have that. RB 1968.)
16"

One Touchstone for this is Idris Muhammad with Ahmad Jamal. On the world tours a 5 or 4 pc was always available BUt he required a second floor tom. It didn't always match but he made it look fine.

Idris.jpg
Idris2.jpg
Idris3.jpg

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would if it was complimentary or if it could be rewrapped (though if it was a sort of rare wrap already i'm not sure i would rewrap).

I picked up some toms (W/A) in an odd finish..no Bass Drum...if i could find a stray W/A in almost any finish I'd get it (though I picked up a cheap premier and will wrap or paint to suit my sense (nonsense) of style.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd buy the Tom that doesn't match. Better than not having it. I would still continue the hunt to find the perfect tom but at least you'd be able to play something in the interim. Also, assuming you didn't damage the non-matching drum, it seems rare enough but you would be able to sell it to the next guy looking for that exact color. Obviously I'd love to know specifics.... depending on what it is, I may refinish it myself. If it was a crazy rare and or vintage high-end drum, I'd have second thoughts about that, though.

I have a similar situation right now with a Gretsch USA kit. I have the floor tom but good luck finding the correct matching color FT in that exact size because it's a floor tom conversion. I can buy the exact drum but it's going to cost me what I paid for the entire kit, and then I have to drill 6 holes for floor tom mounts damaging that original vintage drum. Or just accept the fact that it's about an 80% match and just deal with it. Luckily mine is cheap enough where I could try to strip it and try to match and probably would get close although it would mean removing an original decent condition stain. It may not affect the resale value because it's fairly low price anyway plus has 6 extra holes for the current floor tom brackets, but certainly the factory finish is nicer than I could ever do. Meanwhile I play the kit daily and just have fun with it....

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had some albeit limited success with hunting add ons in the same finish. Slingerland Rootbeer sparkle I found several when I was looking. That kit is long gone.... What I cannot find is an 80's Yamaha 8000 series black Lacquer 16" floor tom! Or a Gretsch Renown round badge blue metal snare from 2006 lol. So I'm going to say NO I wouldn't with one exception ... If I was specifically making a jellybean vistalite kit or something like a Red / Green/ Silver sparkle Christmas kit those I would definitely be alright with.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
In my case there's been a 10" Club Custom in dark brown wood on Reverb - what are my chances of finding a 10" orange swirl out there?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my case there's been a 10" Club Custom in dark brown wood on Reverb - what are my chances of finding a 10" orange swirl out there?
Could be worse could only find Blue. ;)

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. I have a Gretsch RB progressive jazz set in burgundy sparkle and would like to add a 16x16 floor tom. i'd add one in another color and maybe wrap it in the future. Maybe even wrap the whole set in another color.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have you called around to every drum shop you can find online? Placed a wanted add here? It obviously doesn't match but since it's brown, it would blend in more than one of the blue swirl drums. If you need it then it's probably worth getting. Of course the minute you buy it an orange one will show up but that just seems to be how it works.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I knew you were talking about that one since I know you were looking for a 10” orange swirl for your discontinued set.
Honestly I wouldn’t get it unless you definitely need a 10” tom. It will be sonically similar to your set but lookwise it wouldn’t do it for me and that orange finish is not something you can recreate.
But if it was the black or blue swirl I would say buy it, I think they would match better for some reason.