Would You Gamble?

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a set of B/O champagne Ludwigs in 14/16/18/24 with a rail mount for years. After buying orphans I've got everything but the 24; unfortunately, I've only seen three or four of them over the years.

There's a couple problems I'm having.
1. Having cash on hand to buy the kick the day it shows up is unlikely. That's not something my wife and I can budget for.
2. I've got all the toms I want but they're players, and I don't think I'm gonna be happy with them when I can finally put the whole kit together.

What I'm thinking of doing is selling off all of my vintage collection and putting that money aside for the day the whole kit shows up, or to use on the kick first and then really nice orphans as they come along.

Am I crazy for wanting to gamble my entire vintage collection in hopes of one day maybe finding my dream set?

I'd sell off all of my champagne collection and two snares:
Re-wrapped 13x9, 14x10, 15x12 (genuine '70s champagne wrap, but not a great re-wrap job)
12x8
13x9
16x16
18x16
20x14 w/rail
'80s Acrolite
'70s 400

Even with all their blemishes, I think I could get $1,500 for these drums at a minimum, and that's if they're priced to sell.

Again... am I crazy? What risks have you taken in search of your dream kit?

Attachments

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a set of B/O champagne Ludwigs in 14/16/18/24 with a rail mount for years. After buying orphans I've got everything but the 24; unfortunately, I've only seen three or four of them over the years.

1. Having cash on hand to buy the kick the day it shows up is unlikely. That's not something my wife and I can budget for.
2. I've got all the toms I want but they're players, and I don't think I'm gonna be happy with them when I can finally put the whole kit together.

What I'm thinking of doing is selling off all of my vintage collection and putting that money aside for the day the whole kit shows up, or to use on the kick first and then really nice orphans as they come along.

Am I crazy for wanting to gamble my entire vintage collection in hopes of one day maybe finding my dream set?

Re-wrapped 13x9, 14x10, 15x12 (genuine '70s champagne wrap, but not a great re-wrap job)
12x8
13x9
16x16
18x16
20x14 w/rail
'80s Acrolite
'70s 400

Even with all their blemishes, I think I could get $1,500 for these drums at a minimum, and that's if they're priced to sell.

Will $1500 cover a matching kit if you ever find it? or say you start with the kick (as you mentioned) and then work up from there. It's still $1500 total! It's either budget now or budget in the future from what I'm gathering. If you have just 1 piece missing even though the rest are orphans, I think the best route is when you can, save for the kick. Maybe sell something that doesn't make up part of the kit? Your gonna have to save regardless at some point to make it all happen whether you sell it all or not. You have presented an unconventional way of trying to acquire something, LOL!!
I'm not knocking your idea though because I too have weird calculations and methods that I sometimes think of in order to try to make something work when I want to buy it.
Good luck!
LRod

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
AP: Thats a really nice wrap color. It reminds me of my neighbors 1960 Chevy Biscane.....it was almost the same color, just a little darker.

What is it called?

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

12x8
13x9
16x16
18x16
20x14 w/rail
'80s Acrolite
'70s 400

A few thoughts

I would :

1) put a set amount aside per month toward it (eg $50 per month or more if you can do it)
-I did this with a Ludwig 14" OBP floor tom as I knew it would be expensive so I put a certain amount aside and had the money when it came up

2) sell off your non-essential drums (eg 80s Acrolite and '70s 400 and others) to generate money to go towards the purchase

3) once you find the bass drum, start selling off those player condition drums and upgrade to better condition drums... or perhaps the 24" bass you find will be in player condition and will match well with what you currently have ........ then be content that this is what you can afford and enjoy them

4)I would contact as many of the vintage drum dealers that you can and tell them what you are looking for:icon_e_wink:...there are some great dealers out there. Ask the fellows on this forum for good references of dealers...after all, they may have bought from them at one time or another

5) post in the DFO WANTED section for exactly what you want and also in the DFO "The orphanage -drums to complete your set" - forum members read this and may know where to find what you are looking for

6) message some of the fellows on DFO that own Ludwigs in your vintage; ask them if they would please keep an eye out for what you are looking for

You may have already done some or all of these things (with the exception of selling off extra drums) but these are my humble suggestions...hope they are of some help to you.
Good luck with your hunt,
C

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

12x8
13x9
16x16
18x16
20x14 w/rail
'80s Acrolite
'70s 400

Don't think that those drums will bring 1500.
An all original set like you're looking for will likely cost more that 1500.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Electric Company: I must admit I'm sort of scratching my head here. if you have all the orphans except the 24, Why wouldnt you just search for a luddy b/o 24 in any color, then send it to precision and have it rewrapped to match your orphans? Then you would be done.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
AP: Thats a really nice wrap color. It reminds me of my neighbors 1960 Chevy Biscane.....it was almost the same color, just a little darker.

What is it called?
Not a wrap... that's solid, bullet-proof Bleamire fiberglass! You could probably have Jenkins and Martin make you a kit in the sizes you want, for as much as a vintage kit would cost you.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone’s input so far. Allow me to clarify my thinking...

My wife and I can’t budget an extra $50 a month for a drum. Maybe $10-12. So that means having cash ready if a drum comes up for sale is not feasible- not for a long time. I want to be able to leap at the chance should the drum come along. If I'm saving $10 a month I'm probably counting on the drum not showing up until 2024, and I'll probably have to draw from savings to make up the difference even that far down the line.

Even if it takes a year to sell of all my drums, I'm up three years on a savings plan, minimum.

There's only so many of these drum in the world, and before long they'll all be hidden in attics and lost to garage sales and Pearl mounts.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Electric Company: I must admit I'm sort of scratching my head here. if you have all the orphans except the 24, Why wouldnt you just search for a luddy b/o 24 in any color, then send it to precision and have it rewrapped to match your orphans? Then you would be done.
Unfortunately, the original champagne wrap is no longer produced. The modern champagne is considerably lighter in color. It's commonly produced under the name Bermuda Sand now, and referred to as sham-pagne.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't think that those drums will bring 1500.
An all original set like you're looking for will likely cost more that 1500.
I mention the 14/16/18/24 specifically, and that would certainly be pricey set up. But if I found a 13/16/24 I'd be more than happy. I'd just start looking for the 14 and 18 without anywhere near the pressure of finding the 24. An all original kit would be great, and that's the dream, but like I said, really well maintained orphans are fine. I settled for players originally and know that won't cut it with the kit I plan on keeping for life.

I do think $1,500 is attainable for all the drums I'd sell. However, I acknowledge you have far, far more experience than I do!

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts

I would :

1) put a set amount aside per month toward it (eg $50 per month or more if you can do it)
-I did this with a Ludwig 14" OBP floor tom as I knew it would be expensive so I put a certain amount aside and had the money when it came up

2) sell off your non-essential drums (eg 80s Acrolite and '70s 400 and others) to generate money to go towards the purchase

3) once you find the bass drum, start selling off those player condition drums and upgrade to better condition drums... or perhaps the 24" bass you find will be in player condition and will match well with what you currently have ........ then be content that this is what you can afford and enjoy them

4)I would contact as many of the vintage drum dealers that you can and tell them what you are looking for:icon_e_wink:...there are some great dealers out there. Ask the fellows on this forum for good references of dealers...after all, they may have bought from them at one time or another

5) post in the DFO WANTED section for exactly what you want and also in the DFO "The orphanage -drums to complete your set" - forum members read this and may know where to find what you are looking for

6) message some of the fellows on DFO that own Ludwigs in your vintage; ask them if they would please keep an eye out for what you are looking for

You may have already done some or all of these things (with the exception of selling off extra drums) but these are my humble suggestions...hope they are of some help to you.
Good luck with your hunt,
C
I've done a lot of what you've mentioned here, as far as contacting dealers and members. Unfortunately, these drums just don't show up, and dealers only keep an eye out for as long as you're a customer. The last time I saw one of these kicks for sale it had been up for two hours on Facebook and was already sold.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I love the look of champagne sparkle with B/O badges. I would be hesitant to sell off those pieces you already have. It's a tough call because you could wait forever. I have a champagne sparkle classic maple that ordered brand new in 2012 and I love it. It's not Shampayne either but Champagne sparkle. It's lighter than the original but I think it looks great. I certainly hope you can find what you are looking for. I just recently found a Mod orange 8x12 to go with the 14x14 I have and I am 2/3 of the way to having the Mod Orange downbeat I have wanted for 30 years. Good luck!

!
Kurt Cannery.jpg

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would not do it. Assuming you could get $1500 for your drums and assuming someday you found what you are looking for... would you still have the $1500? It could take years to find what you are looking for.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd go with that Champagne Sparkle wrap on any luddy 24 you can find and be done with it. I really think it would look close enough.

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a lot of what you've mentioned here, as far as contacting dealers and members. Unfortunately, these drums just don't show up, and dealers only keep an eye out for as long as you're a customer. The last time I saw one of these kicks for sale it had been up for two hours on Facebook and was already sold.
Glad you have done most oth
I would be happy to pass on your drum request to dealers here in Canada if you wish... you never know what will happen. Just let me know exact measurements of the bass and from years you are looking for (any blue/olive? 71-73? etc etc)
Glad you have already done the groundwork ; I agree with the others, I would not sell the player drums you have but would sell the Acrolite and the LM400 to generate cash towards the bass drum.

Can any DFO'ers tell us how rare this 24" bass drum is? Did they have them only for a few years?

I would be happy to pass on your drum request to dealers here in Canada if you wish... you never know what will happen. Just let me know exact measurements of the bass and from years you are looking for (any blue/olive? 71-73? etc etc)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck, I'd look for a 26" too......that'd be a killer set (14/16/18/26) tribute to Bonzo!

But I'm a little confused. The 14/16/18 you have are players but original wrapped? Why don't you like them? Is there any way to "fix" them to like them. If it was my dream set, I'd have no problems doing so to make them perfect for me. The player value of the 3 toms won't command full museum-piece vintage value of course, even if the bass is found and is pristine.

I think you get a bit more than $1500 for the whole lot of drums you have, btw, if you sell them. Possibly can sell the 12/13/16/20 as kit. I agree toss the drums you can replace - ie: snares.

How much will your dream kit cost if bought as a full vintageset? $3K? $4K? More? Are you willing and prepared to pay that much? And what are the chances of finding them? How long do you want to wait?

I would play the drums you have. Look for a modern 22/24 and so it's rewrapped. Until you find your unicorn, you will still have a sweet kit. But you need to be able to jump (ie: cash in hand) as soon as the set pops up.

And I re-read your post - YES, you are crazy. Do NOT gamble the 3 birds in hand. I can see selling the rest, holding the cash and ONLY using it to buy the right bass. And IF you come across another 14, 16, or 18, that's "better", then buy that one, too, and then sell the one you are replacing........good luck. I'd still keep the 3 ones you have and in the interim, live with a 22 or 24 recovered in "sham"-bermuda.

Also, I will tell you Bermuda is helluva lot closer to real champ. than the new Gretsch USA champagne. I bought a USA 14x14 and was shocked the gold was so dead looking and did not match my RB champagne.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 2 options I would explore if I was in your shoes is:

A- Sell off everything but the 14/16/18 and have a shot 14x24 orphan re-wrapped in Bermuda Sand with a rail as a filler until the real thing shows up- 98% of the world won't notice.

B- Keep every thing and play them until the 24" eventually shows up. It will. I have waited over a decade for rare drums to pop up and with the exception of true rarities like Mod Citrus Jazz Fests- they all eventually show up.

Are you trying to build a shell bank? I see your signature says you are also looking for a 14x14 and an 18x20- if so go with option B.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused too. You already have every drum you desire for the set of your dreams except a unicorn 24" bass drum. You then want to sell off the drums you have only to continue the search for the unicorn. And on the off chance you find the unicorn, you'll start your new search for the other matching drums you already had in your possession.

Still with me so far?

Solution: Buy a 24" bass drum with a center mount - remove it and fill in the 5 holes and patch with original covering that is attainable - install the rail consolette - mount the tom of your choice - rock on!

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone’s input so far. Allow me to clarify my thinking...

My wife and I can’t budget an extra $50 a month for a drum. Maybe $10-12. So that means having cash ready if a drum comes up for sale is not feasible- not for a long time. I want to be able to leap at the chance should the drum come along. If I'm saving $10 a month I'm probably counting on the drum not showing up until 2024, and I'll probably have to draw from savings to make up the difference even that far down the line.

Even if it takes a year to sell of all my drums, I'm up three years on a savings plan, minimum.

There's only so many of these drum in the world, and before long they'll all be hidden in attics and lost to garage sales and Pearl mounts.
Okay, hopefully this helps....

1) 80's Acrolite- price $150-190 based on sold items

2) 70's Ludwig LM400 supra - priced $279-$359 based on sold items

So, selling both may garner you $429-$549 to start...
Here are two sold 24" that could have been bought for $349-$499;

You can buy the bass drum , have holes plugged and rewrapped to match your set

Holes plugged and rewrapped will be the extra cost ; the bass drum was paid for by selling the snares

You may have already looked at it this way but if so, sorry to go through it again. Just trying to help...
C