Would you get your first kit back?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
if you had the opportunity to find and get your very first drum set back, would you?

let’s assume you can still identify it, it is in good working condition and it is playable.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Pearl Forums ... only the 16" floor tom, which I converted to a house party bass drum before I knew FT-BD conversions were a thing, and the 13" tom to go with it. The rest can rot wherever it lies.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
60’s Ludwig Downbeat configuration in champagne sparkle? With certainty I can say I’d want it back.

A few issues, though: I know myself and I’d be too worried about them to take them to gigs, and I can’t play drums in my condo, so they’d go directly to solitary confinement in a storage locker and what’s the good in that?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope , my first kit was a crappy Japanese stencil kit . I am not that sentimental about gear .I have one or two snares that I have a strong connection to and that is it .

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No way. My first kit was a Kent 4-piece. I was happy to have it as a starter kit when I was a kid, but the bass drum was severely out of round and the wrap was peeling away from the rack tom.

Vicey

Reaction score
My first kit, no. Don't even remember what it was other than blue. But my first real kit: 1967 Ludwig Club Date in Gold Sparkle? Hell yes.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nope , my first kit was a crappy Japanese stencil kit . I am not that sentimental about gear .I have one or two snares that I have a strong connection to and that is it .
Mine too, it was either an Apollo or Dixie, but the badges were removed by the time I got it — heck, it could've been any one of a thousand random "World's Supreme Quality" motto brands, but it doesn't matter.

It would be nice to see it again, but no, I don't want it. Floor tom leg screws were all stripped, rack tom shell went out of round, bass drum leg broken, rail console on the bass drum was stripped and rusty, just no thanks.

Also, I seriously don't have the room for another kit. I have kits stacked up in literally every room of this house with the exception of the kitchen (yes, including one of the bathrooms, stacked up in the unused bathtub!).

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
No doubt, in a heartbeat. I always regretted selling that kit. Plus, it had a full set of Sabian HH that I sold with it. Those were great sounding cymbals.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 piece Tama Rockstars and I would want them back. The bass drum was salty and the snare even sounded good.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first kit was a horrible(!) Japanese stencil kit. That one? No way. My second kit was a red label Tama Swingstar 12/13/16/22 in black wrap. I sold it to a guy in college and his son still plays it. I still see it from time to time on FB. I'd probably buy it back if he was selling.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
First drum, a Slingerland snare drum in a kit, I would love to have. The second was an Apollo 5 piece in blue sparkle. It was not great but It might be fun to play again. The third was a Pearl Fiberglass. Yes, please. Nice and great sounding drums and they were very loud.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
60’s Ludwig Downbeat configuration in champagne sparkle? With certainty I can say I’d want it back.

A few issues, though: I know myself and I’d be too worried about them to take them to gigs, and I can’t play drums in my condo, so they’d go directly to solitary confinement in a storage locker and what’s the good in that?
My main kit for years. I wouldn’t worry about gigging them!

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have my first kit back except I know it was butchered by the store I sold it to. It was a 1965 Ludwig Super Classic 13", 16", 22" in Champagne Sparkle. I sold it in the late 70's and the music store immediately removed the rail mount and drilled it for a double tom mount. They ordered a 12" tom to go with the kit. I saw it in the store when they got done and was heartbroken. The 12" tom was a 6 ply shell and the finish wasn't even close to the original. It looked so bad I wished I hadn't ever sold it.