Would you get your first kit back?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes! I'd want it just to keep it because of the sentimental value. 5 piece Juggs Percussion (Yep that's right, Juggs percussion!) with one Camber hi-hat & crash/ride. :oops:

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I still have my first kit. It started as a three-piece E.W. Kent 12/20/5" snare and over the next six years grew into a seven-piece 12/13/16/16/20/22/5" Super-Sensitive. The Super-Sensitive is long gone and the rest has been in its beat-up fibre cases since 1973. Definitely NOT playable, but I kept it because it was hand-painted psychedelic by four different artists.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Yeah, I like keeping the first kit. Reminds me of where I started and built the passion from it.

100 dollar Craigslist Frankenstein kit where nothing matched the other, but it was fun as all hell. That, and I'd eventually like to give it to my future kids whenever I have any in hopes that it inspires them to play it too.

But yeah, other than that kit, my practice kit, and my main house kit, I'm pretty flexible on the other ones...

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd love to have my first kit back except I know it was butchered by the store I sold it to. It was a 1965 Ludwig Super Classic 13", 16", 22" in Champagne Sparkle. I sold it in the late 70's and the music store immediately removed the rail mount and drilled it for a double tom mount. They ordered a 12" tom to go with the kit. I saw it in the store when they got done and was heartbroken. The 12" tom was a 6 ply shell and the finish wasn't even close to the original. It looked so bad I wished I hadn't ever sold it.
Poor thing!! My unmolested 1964 Champagne Sparkle Super Classic just shed a tear! They are much sweeter than my 1st kit, a sparkle blue Stewart, as are most of the other kits I've owned.

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
5 piece Tama Granstar. Unfortunately, this was during the power tom craze and these were the most limiting drums I’ve ever played. Very loud and heavy drums. 13” tom was so deep that it was nearly impossible to mount over the bass and have it be anywhere near low enough to play.

I remember the first time I took them to a jazz band rehearsal and realized immediately the terrible mistake I had made.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. My parents bought me a Ludwig Downbeat sort of on my 12th birthday in 1965. I got a 14x20, 9x13 in blue sparkle and a Supersensitive 5x14. All new with Ludwig (Paiste) hats and a ride. The next birthday I got a 16x16 and a crash. The pic is of me a couple years later.

96D3BD50-C222-4D30-A903-9B6220C6607F.png

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not my actual first kit. It was a piece of...well, one of my friends christened it CheeseCastle 1. And the name stuck for a reason. LOL I think, but I don;t know for sure, it was a super cheap knock-off of an old Camco kit. Really awful sounding, I have no idea what type of wood it was. To my memory you could actually feel the rough grain of the wood inside and outside the shell. And instead of a seam, there was a gap in the wood. the hardware was awful too. Tons of bass drum creep and lugs that never held. Although before it went in the garbage, I kept one of the old lugs. Just to have it. I still do. The kit came with some playable (but lousy) cymbals, stands, and a pedal, which for a 15 year old kid, was just what I needed for $100. I played the hell out of that kit, every day. I saw it for what it was, but still loved it. Until...

My first real kit, a Yamaha Tour Custom in Cobalt Blue, circa 1985. That I would want back in a heartbeat. As I remember, that kit sang. I loved it. It was a 7 piece, Birch/mahogany and best of all, conventional tom sizes, not the deep force toms. The Ludwig bronze snare that came with it...that could go. I've listed my issues with that snare in other threads. No need to retake that ground.

It's funny, there was so little education and information about drum construction back then...it seemed to just be pick what your idols are playing and start squirreling your money away for that.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
My very first kit was a mixup of 60's MIJ's and a Clubdate bass drum with iffy cymbals . No real attraction to own again ... my second kit , now there's something I've seriously considered re posessing - 1972 B/0 silver sparkle Ludwigs . were fantastic when I first got them and are the same way now . Not that hard to find but overpriced . I paid somehere over 800 for them back then and are twice a much now on the vintage market , usually with weirdo add ons and extra holes , missing parts etc .

Soulfinger

Reaction score
My first kit - no. Cheaply made Taiwanese "Champion" (back in 1981 when the label "Made in Taiwan" was a warning sign more than anything). A bit like my first girlfriend - good to get started but no desire to meet again. :blush:
My first decent (=second) kit - why not. Remo Encore in 10, 12,14, 18. Great sounding drums, albeit a bit heavy, if I remember correctly.

Actually, I´d like to have my first snare back - a 14x5 Tama Swingstar steel I got before the set. I know they are highly regarded these days but I never could get it to sound good, even later on when I knew what I was doing. The Champion steel snare OTOH - as sloppily made as it was, it sounded very nice, crisp and articulate.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No way. My first kit was a mix of blue Tama Swingstars and wine red Pearl knock-offs. I wouldn't mind having the Pearl Jupiter snare that came with it back, though.
I would, however, like to get my second (or my first proper) kit back. An MIE Premier Cabria, which I bought brand new for my confirmation money back in 2001. With the silver sparkle lacquer, and Premier chrome those drums were a wet dream come true to my 15 year-old self. They sounded really good as well. They were by far the best buy in that price bracket at the time (the others were Pearl Export, Tama Rockstar, and Yamaha Stage Custom).

Corsair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually did get my first kit back.

It's a Pearl Kit in the leatherette finish that my brother bought in 1975 (my brother was an Armor All fiend so of course he buys the kit with the hardest to keep clean finish). I bought the kit from him a few years later and ended up selling it to my friend's younger brother around 1985.

Fast forward 25 years and I'm at my friends house and he brings me in the basement and goes "remember these?" and it's the kit! He tells me to take them, they should go back to their rightful owner so that was extremely cool (BTW his younger brother was also there and was ok with that).

I still have them in storage and may restore at some point for nostalgia. I don't think they were ever the best sounding kit but still, it's the kit I started on.

This isn't my kit but it looks like this only much dirtier :)

Attachments

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Absolutely, mine was a mid 60’s Round Badge in BDP purchased from Rockin Robin’s in Houston. As a stupid kid, I traded it for a more modern/fusion style monstrosity with a 20x22 bass drum and RIMS mounted toms, which ended up getting stolen.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, but only to confirm if it did or did not have any tone. I really can't recall having only played it from age 14-18.

1968 Kent WMP 3 piece 13, snare, 20 bass drum. MIJ "clanger" cymbals.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also belong to the "I don't miss my 1960s MIJ stencil kit" club.

And like many of you, my second kit was great. It was a super clean 1965 champagne sparkle Slingerland Modern Jazz kit. I'd love to own it again.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
if you had the opportunity to find and get your very first drum set back, would you?

let’s assume you can still identify it, it is in good working condition and it is playable.
I only miss my first kit for nostalgic reasons. If it came back to me, I wouldn’t want to keep it, but I’d like to play it for maybe a half hour, just to see if my memory of it matches what it is.

It might be tempting to hold onto it, but I’m almost sure it wouldn’t get played much and just take up space.

That was my early Pearl export kit before they even put “export” on the badge. All natural, thin lacquer finish, maple kit.