Would you keep a kit, knowing that add ons are discontinued and scarce?

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a Starclassic Maple for a good price last week, but I found out that the finish is discontinued, and there’s no remaining stock to buy. Should I just be ok with owning the 20/12/14/snare? I was hoping to build a shell bank.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got a Starclassic Maple for a good price last week, but I found out that the finish is discontinued, and there’s no remaining stock to buy. Should I just be ok with owning the 20/12/14/snare? I was hoping to build a shell bank.
If that's the config you want to play and you know you'll stick with it, then I wouldn't have an issue with it. But if you foresee yourself wanting to change things around, you might be trapping yourself into a corner if that finish is super rare.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I bought my Yamaha club custom kits knowing they were discontinued. I’m on the lookout for a 10” orange swirl but I’m also content with what I have if I don’t find one. 12,14,20 and 12,14,16,22 - I’ve yet to set up both floor toms. If you like them, keep them, play them, love and squeeze them!!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m confused, you want to build a shell bank but bought discontinued drums ?

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m confused, you want to build a shell bank but bought discontinued drums ?
Ideally, I’d do that with all my kits. I didn’t think a natural maple would be discontinued.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally, I’d do that with all my kits. I didn’t think a natural maple would be discontinued.
Another reason I don’t like “ Import “ drums . Always discontinuing , changing lines up blah blah blah ....

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another reason I don’t like “ Import “ drums . Always discontinuing , changing lines up blah blah blah ....
It’s a give and take, we get new things once the old things are out of the way, that’s a capitalistic move rather than a regional one.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really like them and want them (ie: 12/14/20/snare), then yes. Then you just have to sit and wait for additional drums to show up in the marketplace........

My singer from my last band in L.A. bought an SUV. I said cool but why? He said so I could tow my boat to my cabin? Cool, but you have neither a boat nor a cabin! Yes but someday......cool, pass the dutchie!

Point is that if you want THOSE sizes and want to build upon them, then great. But if you scored those drums hoping to find the 13/16/22 kit of your dreams, but you have these for now to match a future shell bank, I don't know about that.

Btw, it's been 15+ years and still no boat and still no cabin, but that SUV still runs!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Btw, it's been 15+ years and still no boat and still no cabin, but that SUV still runs!
We all want the boat and cabin. At least the singer is trying to get one step closer! But of course, you get the boat and the cabin, and then you only have time to use 'em once a year, because you're so busy working to pay for the boat and cabin... and that darn SUV!!

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama usually keeps making add ons for discontinued finishes for a good 2-3 years, as long as it is not a certain exotic veneer that they cannot get any more. What is the finish ?

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama usually keeps making add ons for discontinued finishes for a good 2-3 years, as long as it is not a certain exotic veneer that they cannot get any more. What is the finish ?
It’s an exotic veneer, Figured Natural Maple. Not the worst thing in the world, I can get gloss maple toms if nothing pops up.

If you really like them and want them (ie: 12/14/20/snare), then yes. Then you just have to sit and wait for additional drums to show up in the marketplace........

My singer from my last band in L.A. bought an SUV. I said cool but why? He said so I could tow my boat to my cabin? Cool, but you have neither a boat nor a cabin! Yes but someday......cool, pass the dutchie!

Point is that if you want THOSE sizes and want to build upon them, then great. But if you scored those drums hoping to find the 13/16/22 kit of your dreams, but you have these for now to match a future shell bank, I don't know about that.

I guess the fact that I got a kit given to me the same week, in the same sizes makes me view this differently. Your analogy is spot on, though. The core setup I got is my favorite sizes, sans a 16. Thank you for the perspective, I actually feel a lot better.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm with Nacci.... if you can not easily acheaved your primary goal, then sell and move on.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 20/12/14 Sonor Vintage series kit in Onyx finish knowing the finish is discontinued but that Sonor will still produce add on toms as a special order for a few years after the finish is discontinued . I normally just use a four piece kit so it is not a big deal if I cannot get add ons .

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
I ran into this years ago. Got a Yamaha MCA (old style) with a 22x16 hoping to add on a 20x14 or maybe a 18x14. Turns out Yamaha didn’t make a stock 20x14 (at all) or 18x14 without a riser. Then they discontinued the MCA and replaced it with the Nouveau series with different hardware (which I didn’t like). Then ultimately moved their production from Sakae to China. I tried a 20x16 as a compromise and never liked it. Ultimately sold the kit - which sucked because it was my favorite kit ever outside the bass drum sizes.

Lesson for me, my goal was to build a shell bank, so I already had a predefined idea of what I wanted. Once I realized it wasn’t possible, I should have moved on right away instead of spending a few years searching and compromising.