Would you pay?

sternerp

Reaction score
I'm sure that they're really nice drums, but for $3,000 I could find a really nice vintage Ludwig, Rogers or Slingerland shell kit and be thrilled.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like that finish, Morello I think had a set in that finish. I think a DW guy who likes that finish and wants more than a 4-piece would consider $3k for that but I wouldn’t. I like smaller sizes and I am not a DW guy. From buying and selling over the years I have found that $1500 is the cut-off for majority of shoppers looking for a used set unless what you have is unique. Otherwise, people find something used up to $1500 that does the same thing a $3-4k drum set does. I can get 2 sets of vintage drums I like with that money, a vintage Premier set and a Rogers set.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love broken glass (silver glass) finishes. To me nothing looks better under lights, but I might be a tad prejudiced.

In July of 2008 I bought my dream kit, a set of DW Collector's Series in the broken glass finish. At the time I was torn between hanging or traditional floor toms, I went with traditional. Shown here when I bought them. (Some of the stands still have tags hanging on them in this photo.)
1624469653512.png

1624469822836.png

10", 12", 14", 16", 22", with a matching 5.5" x 14" Ten and Six maple snare.

Over the next year and a half I added an 8" tom, a 13" tom, a 6" x 13" Edge, and a 5.5" x 14" Super solid to match.

1624470008374.png

1624470065642.png

Eventually I picked up a matching 2006 DW/Craviotto snare to match as well. So yes, I like them a lot.

In 2019 I ordered a Gretsch USA Custom kit in silver glass finish. (I love this finish!) I briefly considered selling my DWs to pay for the Gretsch kit, as it was I didn't have to. I ordered new factory heads for the DWs. They lives in Humes & Berg Enduro cases awaiting their next gig. Interestingly, I think that the DWs are a better fit for my latest band. :)

When I was looking to sell the DWs, I was thinking that I'd price them at $3,000 for the 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 22" set with the Ten and Six snare and cases. I think that would have been fair. Ours are not exactly the same, but fairly close.

When selling a large, higher end kit I think that it takes longer to find that particular buyer. The more unique the kit, the longer it takes in most cases. I too think that you'd want to sell a specialty snare like your Top Edge separately. I'd price the snare at $850 and the shell pack at $2,200 if you decided to sell it.

I still think that they are a stunning looking kit, particularly under the right lighting.

1624471474297.png

1624471515917.png

1624471657049.png

1624471702080.png

Last edited:

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would not, but I’m not a DW guy and only play a four piece.

I have an irrational aversion to racks.

All the same, that is a beautiful kit and looks like something a top session guy like JR Robinson might have used to record 10,000 hits.

I’ve played two gigs with DWs (22/12/14/16 IIRC) and, man, I felt like I was driving a Range Rover. No question about the quality. One of the shows was recorded and no question about the sound. Full, pure tone.

All that matters is that you like them, and I hope you do.
Oh I’m not selling them I’m just bored. I have had and played a lot of these other drums and they don’t compare to me. That doesn’t mean they don’t sound great to someone else who hears and feels differently from myself.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, we can be a cranky (opinionated) lot around here, and I, too, don't really like DW's, but man...I hope you enjoy 'em and have great fun and success playing them!
That’s ok and the heart wants what the heart wants. It’s akin to vehicles I suppose?

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised, I was thinking maybe 5 or 6 reply’s total on my foolish post. I got them some years back from a friend who plays in a semi famous local band( Corey and the Fireflies). He wanted a new kit and I have a problem some of us have. I would say it’s my 4th maybe 5th favorite set I have? I don’t like hanging floors but they sound good and I don’t need to move them on gigs so it’s alright.

Last edited:

Moonman

Reaction score
First, I’m biased because I own a Broken Glass Shell bank.
The snare is worth $850 by itself, so the other 6 pieces would be worth $2150. A 6 piece kit like this for $2150 is a good deal all day long for those that appreciate DW drums (ie. Not most of those here).
That said, there are those (even DW fans) that don’t think much of Finishply for whatever reason. I still think it’s a deal. Probably be worth more sold separately. Right now, I’d be interested in the bass drum. …
I'm also biased, but yes, I think it's a very good price for what you have. I have a Collector's Broken Glass kit like yours, minus the 8" and 16" toms. I'd be interested in the 16" if you split it up.

WLVN

Reaction score
I like hanging floor toms. It's not my finish, not my brand... if it were, 3K seems to be a good price. I spent about that on a new, comparably sized Yamaha Recording Custom kit ten years ago.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I could tear into a DW set.

course it'd be an 8X10 / 8X12/ 14X14/ 14X18 bass/ >>>wide open<<<< with a 6 (not 6.5) X14 wood snare/ all wood/ 6P with rings....in...wait for it black wrap (or natural blonde) chrome lug/ maybe add-on a 7X8 way at the top. Tighten them up except for the bass and the floor ..get em to bounce and go
I think I'd be at 34-3500 just for that

gretsch was simpler cheaper and 1 way no having to pick horizontal/vertical/sideways tone lay up.
I like that a company has made that choice 60 + years ago and stayed with it.
I'm playing their drums. They aren't playing me.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could tear into a DW set.

course it'd be an 8X10 / 8X12/ 14X14/ 14X18 bass/ >>>wide open<<<< with a 6 (not 6.5) X14 wood snare/ all wood/ 6P with rings....in...wait for it black wrap (or natural blonde) chrome lug/ maybe add-on a 7X8 way at the top. Tighten them up except for the bass and the floor ..get em to bounce and go
I think I'd be at 34-3500 just for that

gretsch was simpler cheaper and 1 way no having to pick horizontal/vertical/sideways tone lay up.
I like that a company has made that choice 60 + years ago and stayed with it.
I'm playing their drums. They aren't playing me.
I get it, you know that I love my Gretsch USA Custom drums. And I (currently) own more Gretsch drums than I do DW.

1624516260493.png

But I'm one of those lucky SOBs that doesn't have to choose, I own really nice setups of both. As for cheaper, DW Collector's Series and Gretsch USA Custom drums are priced really close these days.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not that configuration or sizes. I think that it IS probably worth $3K to someone who plays big kits and deep bass drums. I own a DW kit so I have a healthy respect for DW quality and sound. I have considered paying half that for their Flyer kit, which is less than half the number of drums in a one up/one down configuration, so the money is not the show stopper. As evidence of that I have seriously entertained a Gretsch BroadKaster kit, one up and one down in traditional sizes, for more than 3K.