Would You Re-Wrap These?

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Not to kill a dead horse, but yeah, give it a good cleaning and detailing and see how she looks first. My guess is it would look pretty darn good. Actually, the seller should have done that so he could have asked more. Guess he didn't want to put the work in.

Not sure I would ever re-wrap that kit, it's to collectible as is.

Reddy

Reaction score
I'm not planning on buying these but I've been lusting after them for a few weeks.

If you bought them, would you re-wrap?
I mean, I know collectors don't usually mind, but if you were going to use them to gig or record, wouldn't you want a bit nicer-looking wrap?

Great price with the snare, eh?
I might redo the wrap just from a health perspective. Those mold spores kind of look COVID-like. Hate to get sick just from setting up a set of drums. Gold sparkle is cool. Get the claws all correct and Have fun. They have to sound incredible.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I might redo the wrap just from a health perspective. Those mold spores kind of look COVID-like. Hate to get sick just from setting up a set of drums. Gold sparkle is cool. Get the claws all correct and Have fun. They have to sound incredible.
Yeah, super good point.
If I was trying to use this set and one of those drums sounded like trash or had a tiny tuning range, I would have to have the edges done.
And at that point you're non-factory so go all in.

Wouldn't you guys think that those spots are in the wrap? Have any of you ever cleaned those spots off well?

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd clean them and play them. They look great! I'd be curious what'd happen with some Meguiar's Plast X polish. Ive had it really clean up some bad wrap. If it's the flakes that are discolored, won't change it. But shiny wrap would go a long way in improving things.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
How many of the past owners of that set have gotten sick, do you think? All of them? How many do think have died? Quite a few, I'll bet. Probably why this owner is selling it. Maybe it's the surviving family members that are trying to unload it before it kills them too.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How many of the past owners of that set have gotten sick, do you think? All of them? How many do think have died? Quite a few, I'll bet. Probably why this owner is selling it. Maybe it's the surviving family members that are trying to unload it before it kills them too.
Wow. What a heritage...

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, super good point.
If I was trying to use this set and one of those drums sounded like trash or had a tiny tuning range, I would have to have the edges done.
And at that point you're non-factory so go all in.

Wouldn't you guys think that those spots are in the wrap? Have any of you ever cleaned those spots off well?
The sparkles were made of metal back then that therefore could oxidize. I’ve found that some spots can be cleaned off for those metal flakes that landed too close to the surface and had some tiny outlet to the air. Clean the pocket out so to speak. I think it is that and a combination of the production process of any air pockets that remained under the surface that could affect drums all to different outcomes. I’ve had some old sparkle drums with no issue, and also really well cared for drums with major acne. I’m sure the surface layers of these wraps would have a degree of porosity under a 10x loop/microscope.

Browny

Reaction score
That's why you clean them with detergent.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
A lot of those old wraps used actual metal in the flakes. It’s just oxidation in those flakes. It’s sealed under the plastic, no danger of mold or mildew or whatever. Funky look, but I like it!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
How do you know that it's bird's-eye maple? Is that a joke due to the spots? I have vintage Ludwig's that are mahogany inside not maple..... except for a 1920s solid show that's bird's-eye on the outside veneered over I believe solid mahogany.....

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Redirect your lust.

Oooh. Lots of good stuff there.
Love those root beer Slingies!

Reactions: JDA

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
The wrap is inside the scarf of the shells which means you'll have to damage the shells to remove all the wrap. The cost of the new wrap will be close to the original cost of the kit. Resale time will be a loose loose proposition down the road. It is already a players kit due to that ugly tom mount on the 9x13 tom. Leave them as is and play them.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
The glue( animal based ?) may have grown roots and become part of the outer veneer and if you try peeling it, you'll possibly do serious damage . Heat gun could alter the properties of the glue between the plies and create air pockets or separations .

I run away from that vintage that's been re wrapped unless I can witness the process . Big missing chunks fixed up with wood filler , to my ears , affect the original sound . Plus, like having a hole in your sock even though nobody sees it, you'll always know its there .

Leave them alone . I think the little spots add personality .

Latest posts