Would You Re-Wrap These?

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Warning: Old Man Perspective ahead....

“Back in the day” there was an appreciation of well worn tools and gear-Military gear and uniforms in particular were coveted when they had gotten “salty”. Anybody daring to show up with gear or a uniform all shiny and new was a “dude” and “green” and...well...looked down upon a bit either for their cockiness, inexperience, or both.

So, when I see this kit in all it’s salty glory....I think-kind of like the patina of an old Zildjian, “that would be a sin to lose or cover up that mojo.”

But hey...to each his own...

Myk

Reaction score
The wrap is inside the scarf of the shells which means you'll have to damage the shells to remove all the wrap. The cost of the new wrap will be close to the original cost of the kit. Resale time will be a loose loose proposition down the road. It is already a players kit due to that ugly tom mount on the 9x13 tom. Leave them as is and play them.
The lug is a new atlas mount, no mod done

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But I would!
But I wouldn’t haha
I am not into all pristine and house queen kit, my own kit has flaws but I wouldn’t spend my money to buy a kit that has serious wrap issues, with the money you will spend on it, it will come out to be the same as a clean example.
Unless you will do all the wrapping and save money.
If the only question is rewrap or keep the original, my answer is always “don’t rewrap, keep the nasty original wrap”.

Last edited:

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I'm not planning on buying these but I've been lusting after them for a few weeks.

If you bought them, would you re-wrap?
I mean, I know collectors don't usually mind, but if you were going to use them to gig or record, wouldn't you want a bit nicer-looking wrap?

Great price with the snare, eh?
Hi, I had a Radio King in same looking color and I re-wrapped in WMP.
If you are buying them, do what you want with them. Especially if you plan on keeping them.

henrikrathje

Reaction score
well.. 6 feet away no one will know there are any spots..

soundwise it might be better to keep the original unless it has come loose from the shells.

that being said - If you know what you are doing (re-wrap wise) then no problem If you feel like it. Just stay away from glass glitter. Completely destroys the vintage sound!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really hope you dont rewrap those. Give the wrap a deep cleaning with simple green, then a deep polishing with novus. They will look awesome.

Latest posts