WOW Big Money for Ludwig Buddy Rich Sticks

bharrington

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
hawker said:
Wow..that does seem like a lot. But I suppose to a collector who wants "every model that ever had Buddy's name on it", they'd be worth it to complete the collection.

I DO have a pair that Buddy gave me and that he had just finished playing the set with in 1966. And they smelled of Old Spice cologne. :)

I'd sell them, but dollars would be high.
Hawker - Man, that is cool!

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bharrington said:
Wow..that does seem like a lot. But I suppose to a collector who wants "every model that ever had Buddy's name on it", they'd be worth it to complete the collection.

I DO have a pair that Buddy gave me and that he had just finished playing the set with in 1966. And they smelled of Old Spice cologne. :)

I'd sell them, but dollars would be high.
Hawker - Man, that is cool!
Thanks, it was cool indeed. And the memory of it is burned indelibly in my brain and heart.

John quinlan

Reaction score
Wow are these rare or something, seems like a lot of money for 2 pair of sticks. So what's the story on these?

Buddy Rich 15A's
My uncle gave me a buddy rich 15a ludwig USA stick that buddy himself played nd gave to my uncle. My uncle knew worked with him with u2s Sammy and Crowleys music centre.
Point is buddy used this stick .
How much is it worth ?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow! That's kinda crazy. I have a box full of new sticks that I inherited from a friend. The box is labled "star sticks" and was his collection of all signature model sticks from drummers he admired. I never have bothered to go thru them all...guess I should. I know there won't be any Ringo sticks but would be very surprised if there weren't any Buddy models in there.

Morello Man

Reaction score
Buddy of mine went to a BR gig at Donte’s in ‘72, sat right in front of his bass drum, bought BR a glass of OJ while BR paused for his guitarist to do a ballad and, at the end of the set, BR’s roadie handed said buddy two pairs of sticks whereupon Fred Gruber, sitting at another table, saw what went down, walked over to said buddy (a Gruber student), grabbed both pairs, looked for the two best, and handed the other pair to said buddy.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
This is an old thread and why it popped up for me to respond to in 2020 is baffling me? But, here goes anyway. There were Buddy Sticks that were made for consumers...simply his name on the sticks.I remember Slingerland, Rogers and Ludwig all had a 'so-called' Buddy model in the shops. However; The REAL DEAL that he played, has a sanded and finished sweet spot on the fulcrum of both sticks. Don't believe the hype about any other stick you see out there without this fulcrum, those are just the models the brands sold to the general market. As far as 70's/80's Ludwig sticks, I remember Buddy not liking them at all. They were not straight and the weight shifted across the stick. He went through dozens to get a decent balanced pair. Too frustrating for him. As far as Firth's current model? No idea where that came from. Though I like the feel and balance of the stick myself.
1596026913201.png

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a pair Buddy gave me that look just like yours Deafmoon. Except mine say Rogers on them. A memorable night in 1966 when Buddy gave them to me. :) I've always heard the sanded down section was done by hand. I presume that service wasn't provided to many endorsed drummers.

ChrisBabbitt

Reaction score
Those also look identical to the ones Buddy gave me in 1968. He handed them to me when he came off the stage after playing "West Side Story." They have his dings. Very thin and light weight. I never understood how he got so much power out of those sticks. He had a big cardboard box of them next to his high-hat.

Latest posts