Wow...has this been discussed before? Slingerland complete set in Abalone??

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a new listing (not mine!) or has it not been discussed Pretty amazing...

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't recall it being discussed. Been posted on Reverb for quite some time now.

That's about the pinnacle for 1935/36 Slingerland drum kit.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
Wow! That is my favorite finish of all times! I've never seen a full kit.

Z

Reaction score
I've seen Radio King and Ludwig+Ludwig sets in this finish. Very rare but priced a bit high?

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A beautiful finish. Abalone fishing here in B.C. Canada has been banned since 1990 and in 2000 it was listed as a Threatened Species by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC).
It would be very pricy to have a set with that finish today.
It seems that most rare sets of any brand are becoming more and more 'pricy.'
Personally I like to see it. We're only catching up with the price of rare sought-after guitars for instance.
I don't follow the market close enough though to know if these are overpriced or not, but they are one very nice set of drums. If I had the money I might be tempted.
Gorgeous.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A beautiful finish. Abalone fishing here in B.C. Canada has been banned since 1990 and in 2000 it was listed as a Threatened Species by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC).
Personally I like to see it. We're only catching up with the price of rare sought-after guitars for instance.
I don't follow the market close enough though to know if these are overpriced or not, but they are one very nice set of drums. If I had the money I might be tempted.
Gorgeous.
could not agree more, love to see the vintage drum market continue to trend up

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gorgeous.
The set being discussed is not covered in actual abalone LOL
I’d say it’s about double what it would sell for. Pretty unreal example.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think when the vintage drum market was peaking like 12 or 13 years ago (or whenever that was), this set would have sold at that asking price or near it. The market has certainly shifted...some rarer drums are not nearly as saleable as they used to be, and some things that were considered fairly common now seem to command more money.
For many years, it was very hard to sell a Ludwig club date set, for instance, for more than $500.
MIJ sets, unless in in a very rare or weird finish, you'd sell for $100, and the snares for $20. Most collectors wouldn't take them for free.

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty nize! I'm a Slingerland guy but I think I would save about 10G's and go for the Ludwig Top Hat and Cane listed further down.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I keep thinking this is not just a super rare finish but it it also on a super rare line of Slingerland drums Broadcaster even tho they were the prerunner to Radio Kings and identical to the first run of Radio Kings except for the different engraved name on the top snare hoop.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking this is not just a super rare finish but it it also on a super rare line of Slingerland drums Broadcaster even tho they were the prerunner to Radio Kings and identical to the first run of Radio Kings except for the different engraved name on the top snare hoop.
There's more differences between the BC's and the first RK's than just the name stamped on the top hoop.

For the past 20 months I've been watching for every early RK and BC that have popped up or had a previous internet record available. I've yet to see an early RK snare with the 1st gen Todd Muffler.....all BC's came with that. Some of the early BC snares had a totally
different butt plate (ie eyelet) than what followed. And best that I can tell, the Slingerland badge (2nd version) seemed to appear "almost" exactly when the Radio King name appeared on the snare drums (1936). I've yet to find a BC with anything but
the early badge (1928-1936). And I've yet to find an early Slingerland RK with the 1st badge version. Very few early RK's came with the threaded lugs before the lug inserts appeared. Probably most or all of this transition happened in 1936.

Last edited:

Pink69

Reaction score
I’ll bet the Abalone finish looks better in person than in the photos.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
willing to bet 49K : D

Last edited:

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's more differences between the BC's and the first RK's than just the name stamped on the top hoop.

For the past 20 months I've been watching for every early RK and BC that have popped up or had a previous internet record available. I've yet to see an early RK snare with the 1st gen Todd Muffler.....all BC's came with that. Some of the early BC snares had a totally
different butt plate (ie eyelet) than what followed. And best that I can tell, the Slingerland badge (2nd version) seemed to appear "almost" exactly when the Radio King name appeared on the snare drums (1936). I've yet to find a BC with anything but
the early badge (1928-1936). And I've yet to find an early Slingerland RK with the 1st badge version. Very few early RK's came with the threaded lugs before the lug inserts appeared. Probably most or all of this transition happened in 1936.
Will you post a pic of the first cloud badge? I have a tapped lug RK and am now curious which badge it has.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious too Bijan which badge yours has.

The first badge type has different placement of the word "Slingerland" and "Chicago" to the upper and lower scrolls/design.
There are other fine differences such as the size of the scroll detailing. But the scroll alignment to the "C" in Chicago and the "AN" in Slingerland is how you can easily spot them.
The relief of the lettering and borders is also taller on the 1st badge style.

slingerland early 30s' badge Megehee.jpg

Last edited:

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Pretty nize! I'm a Slingerland guy but I think I would save about 10G's and go for the Ludwig Top Hat and Cane listed further down.
Too bad you did not speak up, when I had it listed through Donn. He had it at 27,000 and someone offered 21 and we accepted and then they sort of never got back to us. So I sold it to Donn for around 17.