Wow...Steve Maxwell selling customers 20 year collection part 1

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I played on this kit alll the time before I sold it to Donn.
he said he would set it up and play it as well when he could find the time.
That snare sounded so very good. I really miss it most of all.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always interested to see these pre-1950's kit when they come up for sale though my interest is primarily 60's and 70's Ludwigs. I see kits like this Gretsch Broadcaster and say, a Ludwig Top Hat and Cane drum and think they are really nice to look at but not so functional considering the high cost of them. Are these type of kits more " eye candy" for the collector?
Appreciate opinions so I can understand them a little more...thanks!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gretsch were ahead of their time- in the modernity sense- the 40s sets are almost Practical enough to haul to a Modern gig with near no modification and they aren't all expensive.
I'm always interested to see these pre-1950's kit when they come up for sale though my interest is primarily 60's and 70's Ludwigs. I see kits like this Gretsch Broadcaster and say, a Ludwig Top Hat and Cane drum and think they are really nice to look at but not so functional considering the high cost of them. Are these type of kits more " eye candy" for the collector?
Appreciate opinions so I can understand them a little more...thanks!
for example this set here:

there's nothing (missing) on that set (design) (above-look at it) that isn't on a new one today. They were Gig Ready (clubs=- New York) ahead of their time
...spurs, tom holder, hoops, ft legs... everything was modern (whereas Sling Lug might still be using basket to hold floortoms and bracket here and there' mounts...)
Gretsch were Jazz and that was the cutting edge of the time for actual gig performance Ready near no different than today.
So eye candy yea to some but ready to gig yes (still) in 2021.
that's how I see it. No funny sizes.. (no 11" toms etc..
Disappearing spurs was a Gretsch thing back then (not "clip ons") .. Gig ready. For the modern Music of the day. And surprise still today.

I'll make the prediction again. By 2030 (no we won't be eating bugs well; some will) Gretsch will reinstate that Lug on a Broadkaster set and kick their sales into another decade. Maybe 2035. I think they are holding a few cards still.. (quite a few cards to be played; those Oriental pearls) (the) cats will slowly be left.... out of the bag..... In time.

(compare the white set above in modernity to this)
and I sorta know which one I'm packing to take to Saturdays outdoor jazz-rock afternoon gig.
the practical one. : )

even if you want to a little earlier with Gretsch not that anyone's ever seen this era set..

still resembles modern
(think that's a Gretsch-Gladstone set..) 1939 ish 36? who knows.
Art's livin' it up.
cymbals look practical-ly positioned.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Art in a rare pic with a Rocket Lug 5" snare (1953 time date) (drum looks like from 1949)

look at that ride cymbal stare at that ride cymbal.. smooth. SEE THE KEYHOLE. It's Moved..that's metal against cymbal..That calf head is tucked down stretch tight..That oriental pearl again and who can read the name or recognize on that snare stand. : )
The song to go along->

Last edited:

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Prices are available Call Steve on his phone
That is what I mean.

So they keep pricing on the low. I don’t like that kind of sales.

Like why not share it. Unless you want to drive up prices per interestee.

I should have bought this 40’s Gretsch 13/16/24 for €1948,- when it was available 5 years ago here.

1614067325886.png

Last edited:

ludwigjim

Reaction score
Agree, drums are meant to be played, I play mine....all the time.
Bill II, The Chief, told me they were made to be played and enjoyed so take them out and play and enjoy them. After all, isn't that why you have them.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Class Act

You do know that that listing is 7 months old, and not posted recently?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
internet's forever
Same era as the 47 Gretsch

I'm digging those cymbal holders.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gretsch were ahead of their time- in the modernity sense- the 40s sets are almost Practical enough to haul to a Modern gig with near no modification and they aren't all expensive.

for example this set here:

there's nothing (missing) on that set (design) (above-look at it) that isn't on a new one today. They were Gig Ready (clubs=- New York) ahead of their time
...spurs, tom holder, hoops, ft legs... everything was modern (whereas Sling Lug might still be using basket to hold floortoms and bracket here and there' mounts...)
Gretsch were Jazz and that was the cutting edge of the time for actual gig performance Ready near no different than today.
So eye candy yea to some but ready to gig yes (still) in 2021.
that's how I see it. No funny sizes.. (no 11" toms etc..
Disappearing spurs was a Gretsch thing back then (not "clip ons") .. Gig ready. For the modern Music of the day. And surprise still today.

I'll make the prediction again. By 2030 (no we won't be eating bugs well; some will) Gretsch will reinstate that Lug on a Broadkaster set and kick their sales into another decade. Maybe 2035. I think they are holding a few cards still.. (quite a few cards to be played; those Oriental pearls) (the) cats will slowly be left.... out of the bag..... In time.

(compare the white set above in modernity to this)
and I sorta know which one I'm packing to take to Saturdays outdoor jazz-rock afternoon gig.
the practical one. : )

even if you want to a little earlier with Gretsch not that anyone's ever seen this era set..

still resembles modern
(think that's a Gretsch-Gladstone set..) 1939 ish 36? who knows.
Art's livin' it up.
cymbals look practical-ly positioned.
I see what you mean, JDA, thanks!

Reactions: JDA

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
There are those who dont, [cant] play and choose to love their drums as if they are awards or trophies. Nothing wrong with that at all, except a few try to come across as pros, and that is insulting to me.
Same with golf, except I have no awards or trophies and sold my clubs. My followers all applauded that move tho!

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
May be you are assuming the motivation. Maybe I am..

Sometimes people buy drums because they could play them once in years past.
And they remind them of that time. Set up in the house. Walked by daily. Reminding themselves, "once I was a drummer".
May have had (must have) had a straight (great, fantastic) Job that he could indulge this fantasy.

That's it. They may have been bought sorely for Fantasy purpose. Long shot but possible alternate explanation.

Not everyone is thinking of (making) money (on them) later on. I think he's reached the age (the owner) where he's thru with the Fantasy . Some already have so much $ (already) they can indulge in fantasy
Imo, I think it is the same for collectors of many things. First requirement is you have an appreciation for the object. Second, you have the finances to buy what makes you happy. For all we know the guy might be a killer player who has an eye for beauty. This collection is one of a kind I think. I mean, what's the difference between this guy and Bun E? He has or had warehouses of drums that he enjoyed having. I don't think there is much difference except he probably played all of his.