Wow! This is just baffling.

H

hindadoon

The seller told me that he forgot to add to the listing that the anchor is fluent in three languages so I grabbed it. I needed someone to talk to, what can I say. You gotta hear its French, simply amazing!

Chicagoish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you click on the bidding history, it jumped from $70 to $500.00, and then the guy with 743 feedback bid again! So he must really want it..

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now I have seen it all. Wow, I've got two of those things in my collection. If I would have know he wanted something that bad, I would have gave him a break and sold it to him for $499.99. GEESH! This really falsifies the value of a vintage piece! Hooray for the seller!

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can not be legit. No way.
Agreed. Who in their right mind would pay that kind of price? Then again, it might be possible with one of Rich Kings auctions. :rolleyes:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really, whoever paid $510 for that has to be crazy. Mine cost 14$ at Drum Factory Direct.

ebok45

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check the feedback, the sale went through! Positive feedback was posted by both parties. And even more baffling, this was sold by the same seller a couple of weeks later -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280741785548

So apparently rubber tips are worth about $235 each. The seller is a great guy though, so I'm very happy for him!

j.edgarwarthog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, you guys don't recognize this? This was the original anchor that came with Ringo's first Ludwig OBP set. He didn't like it, he favored the W&A type, which he got. This Ludwig anchor went into a box of spare parts that travelled with him everywhere he went. He eventually gave it to Buddy Rich as a token of his esteem and respect, right after they recorded the famous-but-unreleased Buddy vs. Ringo drum solo album. However, it was stolen by a disgruntled trombone player in Buddy's big band and it disappeared from sight, to be found years later in a pawn shop in Lafayette, IN. The drummer for Ray Gretencord and his Cosmopolitans used it for some time until the eventual ebay seller, who happens to be a knowledgeble West Coast collector, happened to be at the local American Legion one Saturday night and recognized it. He gave the drummer for RGahC $10, disappeared and put it up on ebay, but he left a note with the bargirl, who happened to be the drummer's (for RGahC) girlfriend, explaining what it really was. And the rest is history. The buyer got an amazing good deal. So, no more bafflement. And I know this to be true, because it was I who was the drummer for RGahC.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well, shoot, end of story then.

This sale's gonna make Rogers 60s Swivomatic parts go through the roof!

Uh...well...guess that already happened awhile back... :sad:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
My take on it is that it's a bit of fakery put together by the seller and a few friends, feedback or not. I suspect that no money really changed hands.

The item sits at $70 and suddenly 2 bidders kick it up to $500? Really? I don't think so.

Buyer says:

"Just received 1960's Ludwig Bass Drum Anchor!!! Whoooo Hoooo!!! Joe ROCKS!!!" - sounds like b.s. to me

dead_head

Since DCI
Reaction score
That is just nuts...

No Way is that auction legit. If it is, I also have two of them and I will glady do "deep discount" pricing for anyone foolish enough to pay that kind of money.

I also have three bridges, some prime oceanfront property in New Mexico (well it will be when the big one hits) and three untapped gold mines in the Dakota's.

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
I do know that one of my auctions about 4 or 5 years ago got caught up in a frenzy and sold for about 7x of what it was worth. I was selling a standard pair of 22" Rogers kick drum hoops. From the mid 70's (if I remember). Anyway they bid up to about $250 plus shipping :shock: These at the time seemed to be going for about $20 each. I assumed that I would never receive the money, but the guy paid promptly :-D
To this day, I still don't know what happened with that auction but it taught me that sometimes lightning does strike on Ebay.

drums147

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Things that make ya go hmmm-m-m-m-m . . . seems fishy, but who knows . . . maybe someone really wanted it. Seems there are always some bizarre deals like this . . . Ludwig cowbells and the Ralph Kester Ching Ring come to mind . . . does anyone remember the Cymbal-Snaps that went for like $150 each a few months ago . . . . . I have some, so I have been watching them and none have gone that high since . . . $5 to $10 now . . . NAD

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
I have a nice vintage Ludwig tension rod that's gotta be worth at least $250.00... any takers?!!

Scott