Writing and engraving under Sabian HH RBDR?

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Reaching out to anyone who knows and can educate me about the engraving and cursive writing (signature?) on this HH Raw Bell Dry Ride.

I include photos of each orientation as I can’t tell which is right side up for the inked section.

I’m also interested in the era of this cymbal. (My first Sabian and while I know the company’s history, I’ll confess that I know about their nomenclature and production markings.)

Your sharing of knowledge is always greatly appreciated.
62D0389E-1F9A-4C3D-8C40-8F83529D7B89.jpeg
A9B4BF19-DB07-4C31-8F04-81E76AD9BE81.jpeg
762706F0-0EA6-4C17-8A51-9E5EC3C5B65F.jpeg
DDA14D53-E6FD-44C6-B4F5-15029E6B732E.jpeg

Attachments

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is quoted from Robert Mason - Sabian's Marketing Projects Manager
"The signature on the btm of all our Hand Hammered cymbals is really the name Sabian in Armenian. Many years ago the craftsmen who made the cymbal to sign his name to it after it was done. This was in the day when production was limited to just a few cymbals a week so one person could made a cymbal from start to finish. Now because of the way production has changed, by that I mean we now have different depts for each production step, rather than one person doing all the different jobs. The craftsmen who hand hammered the cymbal is no longer the one who signs it. Instead Sabian keeps the tradition alive by having the tester to accepts the cymbal sign Sabians name in the bell."

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
The ink is a scrawled version of the word Sabian in Western Armenian characters. That’s what’s written under all “signed” Sabians.

The engraving I don’t know.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Wow. That’s most interesting, completely unexpected, and delightfully esoteric. Thanks so much for the insight!

I’ll run this by my Armenian in-laws, who will be pleased, and it’s always a good idea to impress them whenever I can.

Also perhaps show my mom’s Der Hyar (Armenian priest), likewise.
Maybe he’ll bless it. ; )