Writing weights on cymbals

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Curious as to your thoughts on writing weights on cymbals.

I know some manufacturers do or have which is cool, but what do you think about others writing the weight on the cymbal?

Does it potentially detract from the value? In general, I'm guessing most of us don't like to buy drums with things written or scratched on them so does that apply to cymbals? Fortunately most write the weight under the bell so "out of sight out of mind".

Would be a bummer if the cymbal weight written is wrong.

Of those of you who do write the weight, where are you writing it and what are you using?

Thanks

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Part of the reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of writing the weights on some of my cymbals. I've weighed them all but
Writing the weight under the bell in Sharpie is totally acceptable in most cases.

Would I do it to a 24" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Flatride? No.
Would I write over the paper label under the bell of an Old Stamp K? No.

Use good sense, and try to use your best penmanship.

Thanks,
Matt
Thanks Matt.

Part of the reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of writing the weights on some of my cymbals but don't want to do something that might detract from their value.

Point well taken about using good sense. I won't write it on my 24" White Label Giant Beat!

Wes

michiganice91

Reaction score
Writing the weight under the bell in Sharpie is totally acceptable in most cases.

Would I do it to a 24" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Flatride? No.
Would I write over the paper label under the bell of an Old Stamp K? No.

Use good sense, and try to use your best penmanship.

Thanks,
Matt

A 24" Sound Creation New Dimension Bell Ride on the other hand..... ;)

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sharpie wipes away with alcohol, so as long as you don't write over something else important (artisan's name, paper tag, other ink) it's no big deal. When you go to sell the cymbal, just wipe away the marks. Or don't; I haven't run into a case where it bothered anybody yet.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish more companies wrote the weights on their cymbals. Bosphorus obviously does, and it makes buying them that much more convenient.

So have at it. If anything, it would increase the value if I were buying from you since the process of asking for weights can sometimes be a bit of a hassle.

Last edited:

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with bongomania. It wipes off really easily. The only place I wouldn’t is over the paper tag of an old K or something. Other than that I don’t think it should devalue a cymbal in any way.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Why would it devalue the cymbal?
It still functions the same obviously, but I didn't know if it would devalue it at all. Having been written on, I didn't know if it may turn off potential buyers because of no longer being completely original (didn't come from the factory that way). Most people don't like to see names written inside of drums so I was wondering if could be along the same lines. I also wasn't sure how easy it would be for someone to remove something written in Sharpie and if removing the Sharpie would mess with the patina in that area (although it is on the underside of the cymbal so shouldn't be noticable).

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fair enough.

I just talked on the phone with a guy who saw my Slingerland kit on reverb (when I had it on there for two days).
He said "I have cash ready"
But when he found out it was a re-wrap he said no thanks.
He said all his kits are 100% vintage and completely original wrap,hardware,heads!
He won't buy any other way. He admitted its OCD but said "there is something about it"

So I get it. There are collectors mostly, and some players. Where 4 numbers written in sharpie would change the whole game for them.
Its called OCD. Ha ha

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Not only do I do it to every cymbal, I use Sharpie Ultra Fine point, and color code to any ink left on the cymbal i.e. Pre-Serial 602's get red, Blue Labels get blue, a pre-split Istanbul would get green, etc.

I still see a fair amount of stuff that's passed through here across eBay with the weights still there.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Part of me, Dr. Jekyll gets it...you're OCD, and the thought of another man writing on your cymbal sends you into a panic. But the other guy, Mr. Hyde....well he's like WTF? Are you serious? Sharpie? It's SHARPIE.... lol

So as someone who is not technically a collector I could care less if you put the weight on it. I find it helpful honestly so PLEASE put the weight on it (well, just use a Sharpie NOT and engraver!)

Last edited:

egw

Reaction score
Why would you write it on the bottom when it's already written on the top? Thin, Medium-Thin, Medium, Rock.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The wide felt tip I use wipes off with your fingers. In some cases, I have to reapply after handling the cymbals too often. You can't dry rub patina off with your fingers. But some markers will come right off with an inadvertent rub on the fingers if you use your fingers as a cymbal stand. Those markers are not permanent. I haven't tried sharpies though.

Latest posts