Writing weights on cymbals

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I only weigh if I'm going to sell.

I don't need to know the weight of my own cymbal in order to...well...do anything. If it sounds good, blends...good-to-go.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I use the year it was made and the weight for the serial number on my cymbals. Not sure if that helps drummers, but it helps me organize photos and info.

Matt
So is that 2018 and 1577g? Inquiring minds would like to know if you are ok making the info public.

I use diameter and weight to classify cymbal images. The cymbals are indexed in a spreadsheet, with the images (and sound files, etc) stored in a large directory tree structure based on manufacturer and production era. For cymbal pairs (hats or orchestral or marching) both weights are used: 14-800-1200-stamp.jpg rather than just one weight. I've probably got more than 30,000 cymbal images stored. I occasionally get name duplications which are sorted out by appending a, b, etc. to the weight. Discovering duplicates is useful because that is one of the ways I spot cymbals which I've already got in my records and are being resold. Sometimes the images show that they are different cymbals, but just given the same weight due to rounding. And of course I also store serial numbers if they exist, and that helps spot duplicates as well. So yes I appreciate weights being given. When I haven't got weights I have to make up unique names so I have files like 17-crashx1-top.jpg and 18-x154-stamp.jpg and so on.

Last edited:

Johnny K

Reaction score
I did my Zildjian rides and hats a couple days ago and wrote the weights on the underside of the bells with a sharpie, of course using the small 'g' and if there was a 7 I put the line thru it, euro style. Why? Because I am a pretentious a-hole. Who cares? But seriously, I did it because I recently bought a 60's stamp Avedis 22" ride and I wanted to know if my 20" K Custom Dry Ride was heavier. It is.

Reactions: JDA

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I only weigh if I'm going to sell.

I don't need to know the weight of my own cymbal in order to...well...do anything. If it sounds good, blends...good-to-go.
I don't know about you, but I have so many cymbals that I can not remember the weights of all of them. I need to know what they weigh because I need some frame of reference when buying the next cymbal. I am familiar with my bbn own cymbals that I play, so if I know how much they weigh in grams, it really helps me get an idea of what weight I am seeking or what the target cymbal will sound like. Written under the bell requires just a quick peek as opposed to getting the scale out and all.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it's not there, I write in there in sharpie. A cotton swab with a little acetone will take it right off.

Also, I keep a google doc with a list of the gear I own, complete with cymbal weights. I don't own much, and it seems like a good idea in case of theft or whatever.

Latest posts