WTB: 12 x 14 Scottish Marching Snare Drum

evilw

Reaction score
Hello All,
I need a Scottish snare drum (12 x 14) to play a one time performance of Scotland The Brave with a single Piper. I have been brushing up on my Scottish rudiments and watching countless YouTube performances preparing for my march in January.

I have my trusty old Rogers Dynasonic Marching drum, but would really like to have a Scottish Style with the dual snare assembly for the appropriate sound.

That being said, I am open to a used Premier, Pearl, Andante or even a cool old Premier Royal Scot would be great!

Please contact me if you have one you are willing to part with.
Thanks,
-EW

messineo21

Reaction score
Not sure if you have facebook or not but this group always has scottish snare drums for sale at reasonable prices. There is a black Premier HTS 200 for sale right now from a trusted seller for $300. The HTS 200 is considered to be one of the best pipe band snare drums ever made. Even if you were to buy it and not hold on to it you could easily resell it and not lose money on it. Hope this helps!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/235472963297303/

evilw

Reaction score
ChicoMess21 said:
Not sure if you have facebook or not but this group always has scottish snare drums for sale at reasonable prices. There is a black Premier HTS 200 for sale right now from a trusted seller for $300. The HTS 200 is considered to be one of the best pipe band snare drums ever made. Even if you were to buy it and not hold on to it you could easily resell it and not lose money on it. Hope this helps!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/235472963297303/
Thank you ChicoMess, I am awaiting permission from that site.
Would you think that the Premier is better than this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291602363935?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

-EW

messineo21

Reaction score
Cannot go wrong with the Pearl either. I own both a HTS 200 and a Pearl. Have nothing but good things to say about both. The biggest difference between the two is the weight of the drums. HTS 200's are notoriously heavy. Wearing them for a long time or a long parade can be uncomfortable. The other issue to note is that parts for the HTS 200 are hard to come by these days whereas Pearl replacement parts are readily available. If it came down to picking one or the other I'd go with the Pearl.

evilw

Reaction score
Chico,
I have still not been granted admission to that particular Facebook Group (they must be doing a background check)

Is it possible to send me a direct link?
Thanks,
-EW

messineo21

Reaction score

Attachments

evilw

Reaction score
Thanks Benny and Chico.

It is a tough decision as I will only ever be buying the one Pipe drum. To my ears from YouTube the Premier Royal Scot sounds the best.
I have a slight problem playing Scottish music on a Pearl (I should get over that) even though so many recommend it.

Thanks for the help Gentlemen.

-EW

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the Royal Scot, and similar generation Carlton snares more than the later generations from Pearl and Premier. But they all do the trick. (I have a Royal Scot, but no interest in selling)

There are lots of great pipe bands on the west coast, surprised more haven't shown up.

Keep looking. You want the real thing. I was in a militia pipe band once that had invested in Ludwig Supersensitive marchers--not a great fit, or even a medium fit. Another band had Olympic snares (only standard bottom wires) and was equally uninspiring.

messineo21

Reaction score
Ew,

If you contact Andrew Adams who's facebook profile I posted in my previous post to he may be able to help you get a Premier Royal Scot snare. He often puts them up for sale. I know a few months back he sold an 8 lug RS for $200. Great drums. I own an 8 lug and a rare 12 lug Super Royal Scot and would not give them up for anything.

evilw

Reaction score
Thanks Chico,
I did talk with Andrew and he is getting me a little more info on his BDP SRS 10-lug he has for sale. It has stress cracks in the lugs, so I asked him to check the shell.

If it looks OK, I'm a buyer.
Thanks again,
-EW

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Evilw, there is a premier marching snare, 14" x 8" on Moncton kijiji. Canada site, ad. # 1115299787 asking $80.

sorry I don't know how to post it here for you. if you get hooked up with the sale let me know if I can help, I'm an hours drive away. mike

evilw

Reaction score
burgundy said:
Evilw, there is a premier marching snare, 14" x 8" on Moncton kijiji. Canada site, ad. # 1115299787 asking $80.

sorry I don't know how to post it here for you. if you get hooked up with the sale let me know if I can help, I'm an hours drive away. mike
Thanks Burgundy,
I would buy that one in a heartbeat just to have, but am afraid it will sell quickly to a local buyer. I have emailed them just in case.
Thanks again!
-EW

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Evil, I noticed the marching snare was still posted in Moncton, I emailed him told him I had no pedal to trade but would buy for the $80. he was asking. he said he would sell to me. we are having a little trouble getting hooked up, he works odd hours and I'm an hours drive from him. he says drum works fine, does have a little wear, is selling because he does not use.

my question is, if I can buy the drum are you interested in it for $125. plus shipping. ( covers gas and time) drum would be no good to me, but if it helps you i'll try and get it. burgundy

evilw

Reaction score
burgundy said:
Evil, I noticed the marching snare was still posted in Moncton, I emailed him told him I had no pedal to trade but would buy for the $80. he was asking. he said he would sell to me. we are having a little trouble getting hooked up, he works odd hours and I'm an hours drive from him. he says drum works fine, does have a little wear, is selling because he does not use.

my question is, if I can buy the drum are you interested in it for $125. plus shipping. ( covers gas and time) drum would be no good to me, but if it helps you i'll try and get it. burgundy
Burgundy,
Thank you so much for the kind offer to help with this. I only wish he would have responded earlier as I now have a couple of other deals in the works. That is a fantastic price and well below the market. When I add in shipping to California, it gets closer to some local deals.
Regardless, thank you for the offer, but I am not a buyer on that drum at this time.
-EW

Latest posts