WTB: 16" Gretsch bass drum hoops

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Anyone have any?
In a usa custom build so to speak?
Very well am desirous for natural Maple lacquer nitrocellulose finish.
I have a gretsch 16" shell i want to use to make a bass drum etc.

Ill probably ask Gretsch to make some if I cant find some.
Any advice on that?

Many advanced thanks!

Reactions: JDA

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Do you want inlay or nyet?

I got some DFD cheapo brand 18”s but they advertised 6-ply & 1/4” and were cheap. Got them and they’re hard enough to tell apart from real Gretsch that I can live with it, and they were less than $30 for unfinished maple.

added note: I just checked, and the 16”s are 5-ply, but they have tinted clear available.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Very cool to know and it looks like the Gretsch ones are a little over a hundred bucks each which isn't too bad and I'm figuring out now that I have the Gretsch shell what my intentions are :)
I have this 16" 60s round badge Gretsch shell that is screaming to be made into a bass drum

hatandbeard

Reaction score
The original Gretsch 16-inch Hoops that came with the drum are 3-ply ! and they are in great shape and I should be able to just reuse those I'm thinking also

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I converted an RB 16 FT into a bass (big mistake in retrospect!) - anyway, I wanted the proper hoops and had Precision make them. I think they were $90 with inlay groove. They cut the inlan and I finished them in satin black myself and they are perfect.

You can get ungrooved 10 ply maple hoops (unfinished) for $15 each here:

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I was thinking inlay but as I'm going to most likely keep the bass drum natural nitrocellulose Maple lacquer looking to have the Hoops match but I'm also realizing I can gently sand the paint off of these original 2in wide 3-ply Gretsch hoops and use those and if I do it right I can have somebody nitro spray them and refinish them
..might be nice to also order the Gretsch ones too/that would be 6 ply I'm imagining if I'm correct, and see if there are sound differences like a big nerd

Latest posts