WTB: 50’s Zildjian A cymbals

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What Zildjian 50’s era cymbals do you have for sale?

I am looking for 14” hats, 20” Ride or maybe 22” ride too. 18” or 16” crash.

Cymbals must be in very good condition with no keyholing, cracks or flea bites. Cymbals I want should be light, rides should be crashable and not gongy sounding when crashed, so on the lighter side.

please provide weights if you can, and of course price. Msg me if needed.

many thanks in advance!

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 20" trans stamp I'd be willing to let go. It's right around 20xx grams. I could get you more details tomorrow. It's in great condition. The mounting hole is 1/2" so it fits modern stands. Crashable for sure.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 20" trans stamp I'd be willing to let go. It's right around 20xx grams. I could get you more details tomorrow. It's in great condition. The mounting hole is 1/2" so it fits modern stands. Crashable for sure.
Send me pics, videos, sound file, weight, and whatever you may have.
I have a 20” 60’s A ride that’s about 2300gr but it is pingy and not crashable, so I don’t want something similar to it.

bcrain

Reaction score
I have a 18" A medium thin crash- bought new- excellent condition. will have to get it weighed but its a typical med. thin. wait- you said 50's....never mind. Mine are more recent.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What Zildjian 50’s era cymbals do you have for sale?

I am looking for 14” hats, 20” Ride or maybe 22” ride too. 18” or 16” crash.

Cymbals must be in very good condition with no keyholing, cracks or flea bites. Cymbals I want should be light, rides should be crashable and not gongy sounding when crashed, so on the lighter side.

please provide weights if you can, and of course price. Msg me if needed.

many thanks in advance!
I probably own about 2 dozen 50's Zildjians after combing around on line the past 2 years. Some really sweet and light ones.....and I doubt even a single 16, 18, 20, 21 or 22 meets all of the above criteria. The hats aren't too hard to find like that. I would assume you're paying top of the market prices to acquire those top 5-10% of all 50's Zildjians....essentially museum quality and sound. Some of the light ones that do crash/ride can sound gongy as well. I recently had a medium thin to thin trans stamp crash/ride that "should have been" one of those elusive "all there" cymbals. Yet the sound was no different than my 1960's stamp medium thin of the same weight. Sold it as it didn't fully measure up imo. New owner loved it though.

A significant number of 50's cymbals have had the holes enlarged from 7/16 to 1/2 to help remove signs of light key holing. In my mind those would still be considered "key holed" examples....just well disguised. The irony of these is that most of the good ones were probably played....a lot....hence developing bell hole and edge wear and tear over those decades. The ones in "perfect" condition are often the ones not played so much, because they didn't sound all that great and sat on the shelf.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I probably own about 2 dozen 50's Zildjians after combing around on line the past 2 years. Some really sweet and light ones.....and I doubt even a single 18, 20, 21 or 22 meets all of the above criteria. The hats aren't too hard to find like that. I would assume you're paying top of the market prices to acquire those top 5-10% of all 50's Zildjians....essentially museum quality and sound. Some of the light ones that do crash/ride can sound gongy as well. I recently had a medium thin to thin trans stamp crash/ride that "should have been" one of those elusive "all there" cymbals. Yet the sound was no different than my 1960's stamp medium thin of the same weight. Sold it as it didn't fully measure up.

A significant number of 50's cymbals have had the holes enlarged from 7/16 to 1/2 to help remove signs of light key holing. In my mind those would still be considered "key holed" examples....just well disguised. The irony of these is that most of the good ones were probably played....a lot....hence developing bell hole wear and tear over those decades. The ones in "perfect" condition are often the ones not played so much, because they didn't sound all the great.
I agree with whatever you said. I wanted something in the 2200gr range that would hopefully sound close to Morello’s ride but I think he went to Zildjian factory and played several rides until he chose the one he recorded with. So it’s not that easy!
I want something like this!

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had 1-2 1950's 20" rides in the 1750-2280 gm range. Hard to say just on weight which would be the best. The ones in the 1800-2100 range certainly crash better. And around 2300-2400 they usually stop being great crashes....and seem to lose some complexity. The large stamps tend to be better than the small stamps. And the trans stamps equal to or slightly better than the large stamps. But, exceptions are not uncommon. My best 20" lg stamp 50's is at 2133 gm with key hole. And in a trans stamp at 1775 or 2137 gm toss up. If I had to pick, I'd say 2150 gm has given me the most success (2125-2175 range). The crashes are even tougher to diagnose by weight. Sometimes the heavier ones sound better. I've had a few thin and medium thins that just didn't quite have it.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That 20" trans stamp video is pretty nice. To get 'that' sound you'll probably have to stick to only Trans stamps and Large Stamps. The late 50's small stamps are generally a bit different than those earlier ones.

Latest posts