WTB: 60s Gold Sparkle Wrap Scraps

andlours

Reaction score
I recently bought an early 60s Ludwig gold sparkle kit with a few extra holes I would like to patch. Unfortunately, all the modern gold sparkle wrap is too orange in tone. If anybody has a few small pieces from a project drum, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How many holes, and what size, are you patching? I have a small piece of Slingerland "Sparkling Gold Pearl" from the early 60's, which measures 2-1/2" x 11/16". I have a Salesman Samples from Slingerland, that were carried by salesmen to show to music stores. I had the samples trimmed and mounted in a frame for display, so still have those small trimmed pieces!

-Mark

Attachments

andlours

Reaction score
How many holes, and what size, are you patching? I have a small piece of Slingerland "Sparkling Gold Pearl" from the early 60's, which measures 2-1/2" x 11/16". I have a Salesman Samples from Slingerland, that were carried by salesmen to show to music stores. I had the samples trimmed and mounted in a frame for display, so still have those small trimmed pieces!

-Mark
Hey Mark,

I need to plug two holes in the rack tom (maybe 1/4" each) where a mount was added and then four 1/4" holes in the bass drum and a 1" hole from where a diamond plate was installed. It sounds like you've got quite the wrap collection though and I'd feel guilty taking even from your scraps Haha.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just pm'd you! My piece would be enough for the small holes, but not the 1" hole. No need to feel guilty! I recently sent the Gold Satin Flame piece to a member who was having the same issues! Let me know if this piece will work. Both Ludwig and Slingerland may have been using the same wrap supplier!

-Mark

andlours

Reaction score
I just pm'd you! My piece would be enough for the small holes, but not the 1" hole. No need to feel guilty! I recently sent the Gold Satin Flame piece to a member who was having the same issues! Let me know if this piece will work. Both Ludwig and Slingerland may have been using the same wrap supplier!

-Mark
I'm definitely interested. I shot you a PM.

andlours

Reaction score
Here are the drums I'm trying to get somewhat back to stock. They're from 1960-61. Notice the extra tom mount and the diamond mount on the bass drum.

20190328_031043.jpg

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here are some wrap pieces I have. The larger piece actually looks pretty close to what is on your drums! That darker spot at the bottom right is just reflection. The smaller square is more modern. That small piece is an actual Slingerland from the mid 60's. It sure looks the same as that modern swatch next to it! PM me if that larger piece will do. You'll be able to get a nice 1" circle to cover the double-tom mount!

-Mark
Swatches.jpg

andlours

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your help mark. I really appreciate it. Here's the real gem of the kit, a 1962 downbeat snare with everything original other than the batter head. I can't wait to get the rest of the kit all lined out to play them all together.

20190326_141407.jpg

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Your Downbeat in Gold Sparkle looks great! The biggest issue with these lugs is that the batter was usually over-tightened, causing the lugs to pull up at an angle. The lugs I can see still look very horizontal! Excellent!

-Mark

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
if your repair on the 1" hole goes sour, you can always plate it, I made mine from a alum. highway sign, cut it out polished it ,took to engaver had Ludwig put on it, I covered a Slingerland mount hole, yours would be smaller.

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
if your repair on the 1" hole goes sour, you can always plate it, I made mine from a alum. highway sign, cut it out polished it ,took to engaver had Ludwig put on it, I covered a Slingerland mount hole, yours would be smaller.
Excellent idea!

-Mark

andlours

Reaction score
Your Downbeat in Gold Sparkle looks great! The biggest issue with these lugs is that the batter was usually over-tightened, causing the lugs to pull up at an angle. The lugs I can see still look very horizontal! Excellent!

-Mark
It's in excellent condition and sounds great. All the lugs look solid and I've been careful to watch the batter head tension with it. Thanks for the kind words.

andlours

Reaction score
I got to work today cutting some plugs. So far so good. Here are a few progress photos of the large hole.

20190405_171802.jpg

20190405_171811.jpg

20190405_171937.jpg

Here's the piece of old shell i used to cut my plugs from:

20190405_151322.jpg

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That 1" hole plug, and probably the toughest, looks great! The original wrap on the bass drum just looks really shiny and unfaded!

-Mark

andlours

Reaction score
The drums are in absolutely excellent shape. I'm just sad the original owner swapped out mounts. I did get the plugs put in on the 13" tom. They're hardly noticeable from a few feet away.

20190406_161614.jpg

20190406_161623.jpg

andlours

Reaction score
Looks great - how did you cut the wrap into little round holes?
I glued the scrap of wrap from Mark (who I'm still thankful for making the project a possibility) on a piece of old shell and then used a plug cutting drill bit to cut out the correct sized plugs. Then I filed the plugs down to size. Overall, I'm really happy with the outcome.