WTB 60's or early 70's Ludwig Salesman Special

broganphillips

Reaction score
I know they're super rare, but this is a dream kit for me. If anyone sees one or knows of someone selling, please let me know!

Thanks.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is a member here who has one, doubt its for sale, but everything is for the right price....I'll leave it at that.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Didn't even know there was one of those sets from the '60s or '70s. I've seen that older one with the bongos, but never one from the '60s or '70s.
Got a picture of one?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
That appears to be the modern version.

Mike

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
at about the 2 min mark in this vid, but watch the whole thing. I dont think many kits were made, never saw any 70's b/o....matter of fact, only ever heard of this one in the vid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
That's my "banded pearl" stuff in the video. As for the dates:
The drumset is WFL with broken glass sparkle.
The big cocktail drum is trans badge with glitter sparkle.
Bongo drums are glitter sparkle w/no badge.
The multi banded pearl snare drum in front of the set is pre-serial number keystone, probably 1961-2.
In the photo posted where Jason is looking up at some drums, the banded pearl marching drums are the true "salesman sample" drums. Each panel is a different wrap, and there are two different style lugs on each drum.

broganphillips

Reaction score
Here's my dilemma: I've been in love with that wrap since I saw it for the first time a few years back. I just don't want to have that kit in the 6ply configuration that you can get it in w the classic maple. I don't believe they offer that finish in the legacy series and I can't find a phone number to contact Ludwig anywhere. I really want that 3ply kit with that finish.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
The classic maples are actually 7 ply. The new Ludwig catalog only shows the Salesman drums in classic maple configuration. I doubt that they are available otherwise. If you have a Ludwig dealer that you do business with, they can find out for you to be certain.

Mike

broganphillips

Reaction score
Too bad I'm not Patrick Carney, I'm sure they'd make him one with how ever many plys he wants haha.

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you had the dough you could probably order the Legacy set from Ludwig and have Lawton or Precision do a "real" multi sparkle finish on it.