WTB Slingerland Artist Solid Shell Snare in blue agate

SaranacJack

Reaction score
I’ve been amazed at what comes up in this great forum... so, here’s a shot in the dark.

Does anyone have a Slingerland Artist Solid Shell Snare in blue agate sitting on their shelf collecting dust that they’d like to move on down the road?

Thanks for looking and any potential leads!

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That might be unlikely....In theory, blue agate isn't offered until '65, but by then Slingerland had discontinued solid shell artist models for a couple of years. You may look into finding a shell and wrapping one yourself. The good news is the modern blue agate wrap is a pretty close match for the original....good luck to ya !

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would totally gig a blue sparkle with blue agate

jmetatual

Reaction score
That might be unlikely....In theory, blue agate isn't offered until '65, but by then Slingerland had discontinued solid shell artist models for a couple of years.
Close but not entirely correct. Per Slingerland histrorian Dr. Carl Wenk blue agate was first available in '64 (it is shown in the '64 catalog) and solid shell Artists were made into early '65. So there is a one year and couple month window for a solid shell Artist in blue agate pearl wrap.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my 60's "Salesman Sample" of available wraps in the early 60's. I know these are early 60's as there are Blue and Red Ripple, Fiesta Pearl and the very rare Sparkling Pink Pearl and Oyster Pink Pearl. So, we do know that Blue Agate was offered in the early 60's. But, finding it on a single-ply Artist snare drum might be tough! I do have picture of a 1966 GK 1N set, with an Artist snare drum, all wrapped in Blue Agate Pearl. However, the description from the seller specifically mentions that the snare drum, dated JUN 65, is a 3-ply shell. Even Slingerland's '68 catalog says it's a solid maple shell...but it is not! It would take Slingerland years to correct catalog description inconsistencies!

-Mark

Attachments

SaranacJack

Reaction score
As usual, the outpouring of knowledge is humbling. I certainly did not realize the time window for such a snare would be so narrow, if one exists at all. Thank you all for the information!

... and that blue sparkle here on DFO is quite a snare, I’ll hold out a little longer for agate, or maybe GAS will take over and I eventually end up with two. Stranger things have happened.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
As usual, the outpouring of knowledge is humbling. I certainly did not realize the time window for such a snare would be so narrow, if one exists at all. Thank you all for the information!

... and that blue sparkle here on DFO is quite a snare, I’ll hold out a little longer for agate, or maybe GAS will take over and I eventually end up with two. Stranger things have happened.
Do you need a floor tom?
Not mine.