Wuhan Cymbals

INKZ

Reaction score
I been seeing a lot of Wuhan cymbals these days on the internet - can anyone tell me more about them? Has anyone tried any?

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You need to hear the one you'd consider buying and decide.

There are some good Wuhans out there for the pickins.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
zenstat said:
I can't help but think this is a patsy question to create discussion on behalf of Universal Percussion. You have previously claimed:

wow this has become big talk on facebook - i have known the guys from Universal for a long time, use their ATTACK drumheads and some of their WUHAN special effects cymbals - both brands are great.
in this thread: http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/133900-universal-percussion-spizz-cymbals/page-2

So you have some WUHAN cymbals, but now you know nothing about them?

We haven't heard from you for months and now you reappear just at a time when Universal are active on the SPIZZ® front and Universal are also warning about WUHAN imitations?

DON'T BE FOOLED BY OTHER CYMBALS CLAIMING TO BE A WUHAN® BRAND CYMBAL

+100000000000000

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an 18" jazz crash ride that I like. Not the best cymbal on the planet, but a good cymbal at a great price.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had a splash.

Note...before Universal there were still Wuhan's. There was a series that looks very K like (unfinished interior of the bills)...very heavy and kinda cool. I had hats and a ride...

I like Stagg more...maybe because they have more variety though i haven't picked up any in a while

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I currently own a 20" Wuhan Western Medium-Heavy and it is simultaneously my worst and best cymbal. It's my worst all-around cymbal because due to its dissonance it clashes easily with the 12-tone scale. It's my best "rugged individual" cymbal though because it is awe-inspiringly brazen and weird. It almost never gets recorded, but when it does it steals the (weird) show.

It's Gary Busey.

I ozoned it, added rivets and sanded down the grooves. It is now a quieter, lower-pitched version of its former self.

Now it's old Gary Busey.

I figure it's worth about $20, which means I'll never sell it.

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an 18" Thin and an 18" Crash/Ride that I use all the time. I love them! Very soft under the stick and they open up nicely. I also have a 16" Thin and 14" Hats that I keep in case my 3 year old wants to bash on my drums since they are slightly better than pots and pans. Also, I had ordered a 19" and when it arrived it was extremely unbalanced and sounded terrible. I packed it back up and gladly paid the return shipping to never see it again.

Long and short of it... I love them and I hate them.

Weird huh?

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
It even has varicose veins on its underside. They are silvery colored, as if the alloy cooked funny or wasn't fully mixed before it was cast. It's about 15 years old and sounds like what I imagine the world's finest cymbal, circa 1200 AD would have sounded like.

Attachments

INKZ

Reaction score
zenstat crawl back in the hole you came from!! what you have nothing better to say then say crap to get a rise?

drummerjohn - yes i said i tried attack drumheads and wuhan "SPECIAL EFFECTS" but have not tried the WUHAN cymbals. Whats your problem.

Both of you should stop stirring up BS

THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO POSTED YOUR COMMENTS ON THE QUESTION I ASKED...WELL NOTED ON YOUR THOUGHTS

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is nothing like a good Engineer or Statistician! Facts are where they live. :headbang:

tris66

Reaction score
FloydZKing said:
I currently own a 20" Wuhan Western Medium-Heavy and it is simultaneously my worst and best cymbal. It's my worst all-around cymbal because due to its dissonance it clashes easily with the 12-tone scale. It's my best "rugged individual" cymbal though because it is awe-inspiringly brazen and weird. It almost never gets recorded, but when it does it steals the (weird) show.

It's Gary Busey.

I ozoned it, added rivets and sanded down the grooves. It is now a quieter, lower-pitched version of its former self.

Now it's old Gary Busey.

I figure it's worth about $20, which means I'll never sell it.
One Wuhan splash. Meh.

Floyd, I wanna hear some audio of you hitting old Gary Busey with a stick. Either the real 'old Gary Busey' or your cymbalic representation of him will be just fine.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've often recommended the Wuhan pre-packs to drummers looking for affordable cymbals to start out with. I've done this because even crappy sounding cast B20 cymbals (which describes most of the Wuhans I've encountered) still sound better than B8 beginner cymbals, And you never know, you might get a decent one in the mix, the hi-hats are generally serviceable. Once a drummer develops his ear for cymbals he'll probably want to move on to some used A's or AA's or even some new and/or higher end cymbals. I doubt many stick with Wuhans beyond a certain point unless they happen to have a good one.

They do produce some nice sounding cymbals for those of us looking for that sort of thing but it seems there is a high ratio of dogs to the nice sounding ones. If you have a big enough supply to go through and test you could probably find some nice sounding cymbals at nice prices but I don't think I'd buy one unheard unless it was dirt cheap or I really trusted the seller.

My theory is that Wuhan, Stagg, and Dream all come out of the same plant in the Wuhan area of China and just get different ink. Dreams typically sound better though and I wonder if they cull the majority of the better sounding ones for themselves. Just speculation of course.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
INKZ said:
zenstat crawl back in the hole you came from!! what you have nothing better to say then say crap to get a rise?

drummerjohn - yes i said i tried attack drumheads and wuhan "SPECIAL EFFECTS" but have not tried the WUHAN cymbals. Whats your problem.

Both of you should stop stirring up BS

THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO POSTED YOUR COMMENTS ON THE QUESTION I ASKED...WELL NOTED ON YOUR THOUGHTS
In all fairness - perhaps INKZ has tried Wuhan effect cymbals, but is not inquiring about Rides, crashes, and hats. If that is the case, I suggest you clarify - and no monkey business would ensue.

Even better yet, clarify to Zenstat - who, trust me, you want as your friend. Not because he is such a threat (hate to have him as an enemy.), but rather because of what he offers us all in his stats and deep cymbal knowledge (is due the respect). He is not a predator and not a hater despite it perhaps looking like so. He is more concerned with genuine facts and genuine people - rather than elevating himself at the expense of others. He's not that guy.

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
K.O. said:
I've often recommended the Wuhan pre-packs to drummers looking for affordable cymbals to start out with. I've done this because even crappy sounding cast B20 cymbals (which describes most of the Wuhans I've encountered) still sound better than B8 beginner cymbals, And you never know, you might get a decent one in the mix, the hi-hats are generally serviceable. Once a drummer develops his ear for cymbals he'll probably want to move on to some used A's or AA's or even some new and/or higher end cymbals. I doubt many stick with Wuhans beyond a certain point unless they happen to have a good one.

They do produce some nice sounding cymbals for those of us looking for that sort of thing but it seems there is a high ratio of dogs to the nice sounding ones. If you have a big enough supply to go through and test you could probably find some nice sounding cymbals at nice prices but I don't think I'd buy one unheard unless it was dirt cheap or I really trusted the seller.

My theory is that Wuhan, Stagg, and Dream all come out of the same plant in the Wuhan area of China and just get different ink. Dreams typically sound better though and I wonder if they cull the majority of the better sounding ones for themselves. Just speculation of course.
dreams may come from the same factory, but they are completely different lines of cymbals developed/managed by dream in canada.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1up2dn said:

dreams may come from the same factory, but they are completely different lines of cymbals developed/managed by dream in canada.
Dream is an attempt to bring the best of both worlds - low cost yet B20 (Wuhan can contribute) yet development/engineering/marketing that the West can contribute. In all actuality, Dream started with several parties involved, including some from Orange County, CA. There is a history to Dream cymbals - and were the first of these "new B20 Whuan district" companies popping up everywhere nowadays.
That said, Wuhan themselves have long tried to offer cymbals with a more developed 'western' approach, but have not capitalized as much as they wished (I bet).
BTW - I know the history is there, but (that above said....) I do not have more insight into the history of Dream. I have spoke to one of the early investors yet do not have/ recall more details.