Wuhan Cymbals

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I have two or three Dreams that I like a lot ( one is part of my main cymbal set ) and I've heard a lot of other really nice ones. My thought is merely that Dream must put more effort into selecting the cymbals they will sell, whereas it seems that Wuhan and Stagg have a much lower threshold for what they will reject ( if, in fact, they reject anything). Then again my ears certainly are not the one defining set in the world so maybe what I hear as a "dog" is another drummer's golden tone. I have one unmarked Chinese made Turkish style cymbal, sold to me as a Wuhan (many years ago 18" "Wuhan crash"... $49) that I love. It has just a hint of Trash in its complex sound.

I've had three friends that bought Wuhan cymbal packs for their kids at my recommendation. Out of those various cymbals there was maybe one that I'd classify as a keeper. The rest weren't particularly great (IMO) but they still sounded better than ZBTs or the like and the kids certainly didn't know the difference ( none of them pursued drumming long term anyhow, high school sports put an end to drumming in each case).

I think Wuhans and the like serve a purpose and can be real bargains of you find a better one or aren't real fussy about how cymbals sound. I have no doubt that the Chinese are more than capable of turning out exceptional cymbals and many of the Dreams fall into that category. I'm sure we'll see more like that in the future.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
tris66 said:
I currently own a 20" Wuhan Western Medium-Heavy and it is simultaneously my worst and best cymbal. It's my worst all-around cymbal because due to its dissonance it clashes easily with the 12-tone scale. It's my best "rugged individual" cymbal though because it is awe-inspiringly brazen and weird. It almost never gets recorded, but when it does it steals the (weird) show.

It's Gary Busey.

I ozoned it, added rivets and sanded down the grooves. It is now a quieter, lower-pitched version of its former self.

Now it's old Gary Busey.

I figure it's worth about $20, which means I'll never sell it.
One Wuhan splash. Meh.

Floyd, I wanna hear some audio of you hitting old Gary Busey with a stick. Either the real 'old Gary Busey' or your cymbalic representation of him will be just fine.
here it is pre-ozone surgery. i'll try to get one together soon for the post-op version.

Last edited by a moderator:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just reread my last post and had a chuckle...

I have two or three Dreams that I like a lot
Yeah, there's the one where I win the mega-millions, and the one where I'm a member of the Apollo 11 crew, and the one with Katy Perry where....well never mind.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Even though it says he has 44 posts, pulling up the user's posts shows that every single post listed (not all 44 show, but the ones that do) by this user is in a UP related thread.

green glass drum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mr. Floyd,
That cymbal has some big holes it it.
Do you ever swing for it and get AIR?
Or get your stick stuck in the hole?
Or do moles ever jump out of those holes when you are playing when you are really tired?
Ever hit one of the moles on the head?

OK, I have one WUHAN.
A "Lion" Model, 18", Like a swish with no rivets and a top hat (china type) bell.
It works well for that pang, china effect thing.
I like it. Good sound (of that type) for a very cheap price.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Naw, it's so lopsided that it only hangs one direction on the stand. No matter what, it rotates down so that heavy, less holy part is in place. It's lower pitched now and has 3 rivets.

tris66

Reaction score
FloydZKing said:
I currently own a 20" Wuhan Western Medium-Heavy and it is simultaneously my worst and best cymbal. It's my worst all-around cymbal because due to its dissonance it clashes easily with the 12-tone scale. It's my best "rugged individual" cymbal though because it is awe-inspiringly brazen and weird. It almost never gets recorded, but when it does it steals the (weird) show.

It's Gary Busey.

I ozoned it, added rivets and sanded down the grooves. It is now a quieter, lower-pitched version of its former self.

Now it's old Gary Busey.

I figure it's worth about $20, which means I'll never sell it.
One Wuhan splash. Meh.

Floyd, I wanna hear some audio of you hitting old Gary Busey with a stick. Either the real 'old Gary Busey' or your cymbalic representation of him will be just fine.
here it is pre-ozone surgery. i'll try to get one together soon for the post-op version.

Wow, thanks for posting! Yeah, I'm hearing it. Not sure if I think it is beautiful or ugly. The rivets contrast a bit of happy sizzle to the dissonant decay. It doesn't inspire the desire to run down to the nearest Wuhan dealer, though.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Wuhan has exported cheap & crude b20 cymbals by the boatload for decades. I once read they've been making cymbals in the Wuhan region of China since the time of Christ.

My first Wuhans were the "China Lions" I bought in the early 1980s, everyone's probably had or used one of these.
I went thru about 5 of those from 16" to 22" but truth be told they were completely unrefined raw white noise, they're obnoxiously loud but not what I'd consider musical cymbals whatsoever. I blame some of my hearing loss on those damn things now.

Several years ago I bought a Wuhan S cymbal package with carry bag that included 10 & 12" splashes, 20" ride, 14" hats, 16" crash for about $89 from somewhere online. It was a bargain at that price because I flipped everything except for the two splashes which I kept for my own use. They both sounded fantastic, the other cymbals not so much.

As has been stated the "western" Wuhan cymbals can be MUCH better sounding than typical starter b8 offerings, but it's a hit or miss thing when selecting thru the piles of Wuhans. No two are exactly alike.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know I sound like a recording...but...Dream Cymbals are NOT Wuhan cymbals with different ink. Same family, same region, but the process is completely different. Just like Sabian and Zildjian are different but the same.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 8" Wuhan splash and it sounds good. I have a 16" china that's about 20 years old and that thing is durable, still has a great tone, and no cracks. As someone stated earlier I must have got a really good one.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score

INKZ

Reaction score
I was on other forums and read up on the Wuhan cymbals and was wondering if anyone has the 21" thin crash ride? or have heard one?

Oh wait can i ask this or am i going to accused of working for Wuhan or Universal Percussion?

kbaweshum

Reaction score
Ive been using wuhan since I was 4. I still use them and I don't use anything else. I agree with some people, its a cymbal you need to try out before ordering, but most of them are very well. I believe they make different series and cymbals. I've heard about the negativeness of the spizz line and I'm not too sure about them...

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1up2dn said:
I've often recommended the Wuhan pre-packs to drummers looking for affordable cymbals to start out with. I've done this because even crappy sounding cast B20 cymbals (which describes most of the Wuhans I've encountered) still sound better than B8 beginner cymbals, And you never know, you might get a decent one in the mix, the hi-hats are generally serviceable. Once a drummer develops his ear for cymbals he'll probably want to move on to some used A's or AA's or even some new and/or higher end cymbals. I doubt many stick with Wuhans beyond a certain point unless they happen to have a good one.

They do produce some nice sounding cymbals for those of us looking for that sort of thing but it seems there is a high ratio of dogs to the nice sounding ones. If you have a big enough supply to go through and test you could probably find some nice sounding cymbals at nice prices but I don't think I'd buy one unheard unless it was dirt cheap or I really trusted the seller.

My theory is that Wuhan, Stagg, and Dream all come out of the same plant in the Wuhan area of China and just get different ink. Dreams typically sound better though and I wonder if they cull the majority of the better sounding ones for themselves. Just speculation of course.
dreams may come from the same factory, but they are completely different lines of cymbals developed/managed by dream in canada.
Yes, same factory, but under Dream specs.

Masterworks are made in the Bosphous factory....Bosphorus during the day, Masterworks at night..and TRX is made by Masterworks. In the world of cymbal making, it is small, no doubt.

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
K.O. said:
I've often recommended the Wuhan pre-packs to drummers looking for affordable cymbals to start out with. I've done this because even crappy sounding cast B20 cymbals (which describes most of the Wuhans I've encountered) still sound better than B8 beginner cymbals......
Them's fightin' words, KO!!! 3 o'clock in the parking lot!!!!!!

Floyd-I laughed out loud when you called your cymbal Gary Busey. That's an effing great metaphor!!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
bonzoleum said:
I've often recommended the Wuhan pre-packs to drummers looking for affordable cymbals to start out with. I've done this because even crappy sounding cast B20 cymbals (which describes most of the Wuhans I've encountered) still sound better than B8 beginner cymbals......
Them's fightin' words, KO!!! 3 o'clock in the parking lot!!!!!!
Emphasis on the word "Beginner". I realize there are high quality B8 cymbals out there but those aren't the ones parents are buying to start Junior out on drums.

INKZ

Reaction score
Gcort49 said:
I've often recommended the Wuhan pre-packs to drummers looking for affordable cymbals to start out with. I've done this because even crappy sounding cast B20 cymbals (which describes most of the Wuhans I've encountered) still sound better than B8 beginner cymbals, And you never know, you might get a decent one in the mix, the hi-hats are generally serviceable. Once a drummer develops his ear for cymbals he'll probably want to move on to some used A's or AA's or even some new and/or higher end cymbals. I doubt many stick with Wuhans beyond a certain point unless they happen to have a good one.

They do produce some nice sounding cymbals for those of us looking for that sort of thing but it seems there is a high ratio of dogs to the nice sounding ones. If you have a big enough supply to go through and test you could probably find some nice sounding cymbals at nice prices but I don't think I'd buy one unheard unless it was dirt cheap or I really trusted the seller.

My theory is that Wuhan, Stagg, and Dream all come out of the same plant in the Wuhan area of China and just get different ink. Dreams typically sound better though and I wonder if they cull the majority of the better sounding ones for themselves. Just speculation of course.
dreams may come from the same factory, but they are completely different lines of cymbals developed/managed by dream in canada.
Yes, same factory, but under Dream specs.

Masterworks are made in the Bosphous factory....Bosphorus during the day, Masterworks at night..and TRX is made by Masterworks. In the world of cymbal making, it is small, no doubt.

So what you are saying Wuhan is made by the same factory - interesting wonder how they get away with that? Do most cymbal makers do that? Kind'a like double dipping in profits...

INKZ

Reaction score
kbaweshum said:
Ive been using wuhan since I was 4. I still use them and I don't use anything else. I agree with some people, its a cymbal you need to try out before ordering, but most of them are very well. I believe they make different series and cymbals. I've heard about the negativeness of the spizz line and I'm not too sure about them...
I been thinking of their newer line like the 21" crash ride - have you tested any of these?

tris66

Reaction score
INKZ said:
So what you are saying Wuhan is made by the same factory - interesting wonder how they get away with that? Do most cymbal makers do that? Kind'a like double dipping in profits...
This kind of thing has been going on for a long, long time. Companies will subcontract an instrument to another manufacturer. Think of all the companies who use Keller shells. A lot of name brand kits come out of the same factory in Taiwan. Schecter, Gretsch and Michael Kelly (to name a few) guitars all come out of the same factory in Korea. I was told by a rep 25 years ago that it was the same for brass, too. Bundy, Yamaha, Selmer, etc all came out of the same plant. They might all have different tolerances/ specifications or a different inspector even though they all come off the same assembly line.