Wuhan Cymbals

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've tried the B20 Wuhan Traditional cymbals, splash, crashes, crash-ride. And IMO, they're still way too bright for me. I'm using one Stagg EX crash in my current setup, and even though it's a B8, it sounds way better to me than new Wuhans. I know people think B8 sucks, but I tried out a few before I bought the Stagg and it's just the sound I was looking for.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I buy Wuhans all the time. I've converted a couple of friends over to them. I particularly like the 18" western crash/ride and the 16" western thin crash. I have owned 2 of the 18s and 3 of the 16s. I have also used the "s" series 18" and 16" crashes. I love the sound of them.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
K.O. said:
My theory is that Wuhan, Stagg, and Dream all come out of the same plant in the Wuhan area of China and just get different ink. Dreams typically sound better though and I wonder if they cull the majority of the better sounding ones for themselves. Just speculation of course.
I've heard that about Stagg and Dreams too. But, I've never heard a Stagg or seen one for that matter and I haven't heard a Dream that I like yet.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I have an 18" Thin and an 18" Crash/Ride that I use all the time. I love them! Very soft under the stick and they open up nicely. I also have a 16" Thin and 14" Hats that I keep in case my 3 year old wants to bash on my drums since they are slightly better than pots and pans. Also, I had ordered a 19" and when it arrived it was extremely unbalanced and sounded terrible. I packed it back up and gladly paid the return shipping to never see it again.

Long and short of it... I love them and I hate them.

Weird huh?
Nope. I have the same love/hate relationship with Wuhan too. I have all those others you have and a couple of rides. I had also bought the 19" to fill a niche. I think it's the worst crash cymbal they make. I still have it. God only knows why the 19" sucks and the 18" crash ride is brilliant! I kind of have the same love hate relationship with my 21" rivited Med-Heavy ride. I took the rivits out when I got it, but having been listening to alot of Miles Davis with Jimmy Cobb, it's clear I need to put them back in.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wuhan has been around years...Some good B20 work coming out of China.
Wuhan more known for Gongs some years ago.
Wuhan and Dream share the same foundry in Wuhan, China....not saying there is a connection. I would imagine it is a secret society like the Turks maintain, so who knows

Arborea Cymbals are also 100% handmade B20 from China, and starting to show up in USA market at reasonable cost like Wuhan...Domain Cymbals, based in Baltimore, MD are China B20 as well...others too, but can't remember

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Of the 10 or 12 Wuhan cymbals I've owned over the years, I've always preferred the splashes over their larger offerings.
I've managed to keep 8, 10 & 12" Wuhan splashes and got rid of my other Wuhans. They aren't exactly spectacular when played by themselves but in the context of the music they can stand out as unique and special. Hence my fondness for Wuhan splashes (and only their splashes)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I been seeing a lot of Wuhan cymbals these days on the internet - can anyone tell me more about them? Has anyone tried any?
When you find a good one, it's a truly magical experience....problem is....finding a good one.
I think you're seeing a lot because people will buy something because they think they need it and they need it now...and what's quickest with the least amount of effort....that's right! The Internet….then they get it and it either works or it doesn't, and of the ones that do work, tastes change after a while and on the chopping block it goes, since it doesn't fit the current obsession.
Wuhan's are very dark and smokey, but always have that "Chinese" quality to their sound.
Like I say, when you find a good one, its magical. Problem is, finding a good one!

jmato

Reaction score
Of the 10 or 12 Wuhan cymbals I've owned over the years, I've always preferred the splashes over their larger offerings.
I've managed to keep 8, 10 & 12" Wuhan splashes and got rid of my other Wuhans. They aren't exactly spectacular when played by themselves but in the context of the music they can stand out as unique and special. Hence my fondness for Wuhan splashes (and only their splashes)
I have heard this comment from several people, and believe it to be true from my own experience too . But why is this so? Is it easier to make a good sounding splash than a crash or ride? It must be, right?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I suspect the particular b20 alloy they use may contain impurities, this combined with their various (and often crude) manufacturing processes could result in the smaller diameter cymbals sounding a bit more pleasant - to my ear anyway.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I suspect the particular b20 alloy they use may contain impurities, this combined with their various (and often crude) manufacturing processes could result in the smaller diameter cymbals sounding a bit more pleasant - to my ear anyway.
This isn't quite finished but here is the next generation summary of cymbal alloys.

I need to add more on the two phase nature of B20 (and a phase diagram), plus the full data table which has all the detail of all the other elements assayed. But it would seem useful in the meantime as it mentions the Chinese manufacturing technique of hot forging castings vs rolling, and the association of this with B23.

In the meantime here is the data table sorted by surface hardness. The two Wuhan samples (both Wuhan Spizz) are 20% and 21.7% tin and come from different places in the same cymbal. That gives a hint about how variable the material is. There is also a Wuhan gong which is the only true B25 yet seen. Other Chinese brands in there are Stagg and Meinl Dragon.

I'm hoping to find a tool which I can use within the wiki environment which creates live tables users can sort on different columns, but no luck so far.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts