Wuhan Cymbals

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All the corona virus talk made me think of Wuhan. Bit in a different context. Are Wuhan cymbals any good? JUst curious about the brand given its price point

Attachments

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I loathe them. For some reason I bought several, but they never worked for me. For some, they are the pinnacle of cymbal making.

Yeah they are inexpensive, and sound that way. I suppose some of us like that in a China. I prefer pretty sounding effects like Paiste Sigs, Sabian HHX.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Experiment with a cheaper splash, see what you think. I actually like their small cymbals. I have a couple splashes and a 12" china. I have NO experience with anything bigger.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always liked their splashes and chinas. They have a lot of attack and then get right out of the way, which is exactly what I want on both of those types of cymbals.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Type "wuhan" into the search box and you find hundreds of results and opinions

You're aware Wuhan makes other cymbal models besides Chinas right?
Yes, used to work at a shop that was a dealer for them. Tried everything from 8" to gongs. I don't mean to offend anyone, I know Wuhan has a rabid fan base (not saying you are one). Just not for me personally, just like wood hoops on toms, not for me.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The early Wuhan “western” cymbals Rides and Crashes were actually pretty darn good. Excellent giving feel on the rides and super nice warm crashes.
But they did a remodel thing way back and I’ve never really liked any of them since.
The chinas and splashes will always be cool, though.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
All the corona virus talk made me think of Wuhan. Bit in a different context. Are Wuhan cymbals any good? JUst curious about the brand given its price point
I picked up a 20" medium ride on the cheap last year. The best way I can describe the sound is "untuned". It has decent stick definition and crashes pretty well, but the overtones have a weird dissonance to them. Definitely not my favorite, but maybe I'll find a use for it someday...

I agree with the other posters that the chinas and splashes are quite good.

egw

Reaction score
Ended up keeping only one of these. Can you guess which? :icon_e_biggrin:
Wuhan China vs Zildjian Oriental

Those both sound good, and are actually pretty similar, aside from the difference in pitch. All in all, I like the Wuhan more.

egw

Reaction score
I have a big Wuhan china-type cymbal that I bought used in the late 80's, so it's obviously older than that. I put 3 rivets in it and have used it as a swish for big band playing. I wonder if anybody has any info that would allow us to date these things.

Oddly enough, all these years, I thought it was 22", but I finally got around to measuring it recently, and it's actually 21.5" on the nose.

The general wisdom is that their quality got pretty bad when they started pumping them out for GC and the other big box stores, though I have nothing to back that up. Just what I've heard.

Edit, I just answered my own question. Rob Scott's website has info on dating Chinese cymbals. Turns out my 21.5" is from the 80's.

Last edited:

feelyat

Reaction score
I have an 18” Wuhan crash-ride that’s a terrible ride, but a pretty good crash. It’s actually very similar, weight-wise, and sound-wise, to my 18” Sabian HH crash. I bought it on a whim, with no particular expectations, and it was surprisingly playable.

Iristone

Reaction score
Pray for Wuhan. :angel8:
As for the cymbals, I've a Chang (similar style traditional Chinese cymbal). It's on the thin side, real throaty sounding, not gongy like some Western chinatypes can be. Volume-wise it's LOUD played softly, but seems to top out a bit if you hit it real hard (or maybe the acoustics of large stages tend to absorb it a bit). Overall a great cymbal. :thumbup:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Very dark, very smokey. Just enough Chinese in the sound to remind you of where they're from.
Not a good cymbal to buy online, though, because the same size/type/weight can vary a lot in sound.
Could be a jewel, could be a dud.
Best bought in person. Price is usually a pretty good deal (when you find a good one), though.
Dream cymbals are "Wuhan 2.0". They sound a lot more like a Turkish cymbal.
I've got a couple of 22" Dream Bliss rides.
PM me, if you're interested.

Elvis

Last edited:

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had an 18" China since around y2k. It's my favorite by far, and I wouldn't trade it for another more expensive one.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some of the "thin" Wuhan crashes I've had were essentially identical to Zildjian A's....at half the price. I still keep an eye out for those. Very fast crashes and usable in any setting. The gongy bongy stuff I can do without.

Latest posts